Rog

Anyone visited here for a real smell?

http://www.tramway.co.uk/

I went there as a youngster with my mum on a day trip organised by 'Skills' cirrca 1970 and it was closed (Honest)

Up on the big hill above, there is the big war memmorial that you can go up inside we all trudged up there and looked at the view (It got boring after 5 minutes) So I have great memories of the place (NOT)

;)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get the fire going, we would put the ash shovel on the grate, and cover it with a sheet of the Nottingham Evening post to cause a 'draw'. Once the fire got going with a roar, the paper would scorc

Waking up in a holiday caravan at Ingoldmels & smelling bacon frying, ahhh beautiful.

Robert Windsor Soap Factory Colwick. The smell of the soap was so strong it clung to us and when we caught the bus to go home at the end of the day, you would hear the whispers...What's that smell...

Posted Images

The smell of coal in the coal 'ole [same smell as my grandma's cellar where the coal was chucked down a grate in the corsey] and the smell of smokey chimneys, and the smell of smog on foggy days.

Yes..I can smell all of them Kath.

Now I am going to age myself...buuut...I can remember the musty smell

of the air raid shelter in our back garden and also the brick one in the school yard.

Musty and damp.

Yes..I can smell all of them Kath.

Now I am going to age myself...buuut...I can remember the musty smell

of the air raid shelter in our back garden and also the brick one in the school yard.

Musty and damp.

Yeah!!!!!! the musty smell of my Grans cellar (They all used to sit on the cellar steps in the war)

• 1 month later...

The smell of cordite as one walks through the medders these days.

pieinface That reminds me of something me mum said several months ago, not the smell of cordite but sitting on the cellar steps.

Fortunately I wasn’t born before or during the war years but my brother was.

At the time of the Second World War me mum lived in a house on Semkin Street in St Ann’s while me dad was living it up in a Japanese prisoner of war camp somewhere in Burma.

She told me when an air raid was on she would take my brother and go down to the cellar for shelter from the dropping bombs.

Can you imagine modern mums doing that these days? The things our parents had to put up with while the other half was overseas.

My dad was away for over three years, and on his return never got a thank you, makes one question don’t it. welcomehome

Bip.

Hey Den - I agree!

My Dad was sent off to war in early 1940 - he didn't come home until 1945!

My mum died in 1991 - during Gulf War I - just when all the mothers left behind were complaining their husbands had been gone for three months, and why can't they come home because it is so difficult etc.!

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we were really in trouble?

If we were really in trouble ,I ,for one, think we would still cope. The good old 'British stiff upper lip' would come into play, along with 'the spirit of the blitz' and we would just get on with it.

Fortunately (Or unfortunately depending which way you look at it) We all have so many nasty weapons to call upon that anything really serious would be over in seconds. I give you the example of Libya threatening and posturing on the side lines, and finally realising they didn't stand a chance, also look at what has happened in North Korea, they have backed down and (seem to have) calmed down too.

If we were really in trouble ,I ,for one, think we would still cope. The good old 'British stiff upper lip' would come into play, along with 'the spirit of the blitz' and we would just get on with it.

Exceedingly doubtful, I'd have thought...

Reckon those two alleged British features have progressively fizzed out over the last 50 years...

As an illustration. I visited London a few days after the suicide bombings and the usual pushing, shoving and being oblivious to others was rapidly back in situ.

"Thatcher's children" and the immigrants don't give a f***

Suggest that Den's summary of the modern mum's (and dad's for that matter) attitude to wartime says it all.

Cheers

Robt P.

Not disputing the 'quick return to normall London society'(after the tube bombings) Rob ,but, they did still show amazing resiliance at the time.

I have no doubt in my my mind that after the end of 'The Blitz' that things didn't take long to return to normal (whatever passed for normal in those horrible times) ie the 'Spivs' with their bootleging and Black marketeering etc.BUT and it is a big BUT the true British spirit still shone through at the end of the day, and the Nazis got there comeupance as will any 'Towel head' Terrorists now

but, they did still show amazing resiliance at the time...

Did they...how?

Do bear in mind that the London gutter press can write it quicker than you and I can shovel it!

Cheers

Robt P.

Well I'me sorry if you didn't have a t.v. working at the time, but I remember seeing live pictures of people coming out of homes and offices, in the areas affected, carrying blankets and flasks of tea and coffee to assist the emergency services.

More to follow

I reckon we are lucky so far in as much we English haven’t been out numbered as beefy says by the Towel head brigade but it won’t belong before we are, may take another two or three decades but it will come.

Hopefully by that time, I will have done my time.

While me dad was in the company of the Japanese my mum for a time lived with her mum and dad on Dunkirk road, when they ran out of coal her mum would send her out to get a bag from a shop on Castle Boulevard, she would take my brother along in a pram, the walk was a round trip of four miles, on the way back my brother would sit on top of the coal for the return journey.

Bip. :sorry:

I remember stories of going to get coal in the pram too. Although mum & dad moved to Redhill when they got married (1938), I think mum spent a lot of the war living at her mum's house in Eastwood.

When Americans start complaining about how rough it was during the war - I get out my ration card - and I wasn't born until 1951!

Vague memory of riding atop bags of coal transported in a barrow from Babbington Colliery, circa1944/45.

Another WWII coal dispersal point was Bramley's woodyard (known to Katie & Ann) down Broxtowe Lane.

Cheers

Robt P.

Speaking of the ladies where is Anne?

Sorry I wasn't alive in the war to enable me to recount 'War stories' But I did once go to a fruit and veg shop on top of Carlton hill to pick up our Christmas tree

Mum had ordered a 5'6'' high tree and when I got there to collect it, it turned out to be 8'6'' (for the same price of course )

You should have seen the funny looks I got on the bus home!!!!!! mum intended that I walk the two miles and carry the damned thing, ok if it were five foot six cos it wouldn't have been much bigger than me at the time ,but eight foot six!! bu99er it i'll get the bus thought I

In hindsite and what has been mentioned in other postings regarding bus drivers ,i'me surprised he let me on with it..............LOL

I remember you, when getting out of our taxi at 2am one sunday morning

at Carlton Square, Finding a No waiting sign that had been knocked over and lying in the road.(The sign not you)

Carrying same into Carlton Police station to report it as Found Property!

!rotfl!

• 10 months later...

Here’s one for you, which I reckon not many people will recall unless you lived around or nearby a Motor racing circuit or even went as a spectator to a motor sporting event, the smell of the exhaust from a highly tuned two stroke engine.

Castrol RH40 motor oil, which you diluted into the petrol mix at a certain ratio to suit ones engine.

I used it in my petrol mix for my Yamaha back in the late sixties it is a very sweet smelling when burnt oil and I believe it is still used today in modern two stroke racing engines, whether it’s a mineral oil or vegetable oil I’m not certain but when I gave it full throttle in second gear going up Beckinham road by the side of Players number one factory all could be seen of me and my bike was a cloud of blue sweet smelling smoke.

You maybe asking yourself what have this to do with the smells of Nottingham? It's a tenuous link I must admit but living not far from the once Speedway stadium on the outskirts of Long Eaton and on a good day if the wind is in the right direction and it normally is I get the sweet smell of said burnt oil drifting over from Donnington Motor racing Circuit.

BIP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yep – I remember it well. Tons of us lads used to put it in our scooters – just for the smell. I think you’ll find that it was/is a Mineral oil. After a short while it would gum up the carbs,,, apparently it doesn’t mix well ! You could smell it all over Nottingham at the time.

-------::-------

I also used to smell a sickly smell at Daybrook in the mid sixties. I worked for Stanley Tagg (Electricals). At the time I was told it was from the brewery,,,, but when you already had an ‘angover, it turned ya stomach over.

Going off your thread slightly, down here in Cornwall I used to deliver the fish guts & residues to a certain farm. This gunge is one of the worst smells that I’ve ever come across, including Bitterlings, Stoke etc etc,,,, but this one farm is the only one down here that can grow sugar beat !

Am hoping to get up to Nott'm shortly- with my son (24),,,, to remind myself what i'm missing !

Shippo's had it's own smell, very nice, then there was school milk, esp where all the empties were stored, and if I go into a pet shop these days am whisked back to the not unpleasant smell of keeping pet mice in my attic bedroom, that was overtaken for ages though after sisson and parkers school wharehouse on I think Palm Street? burnt down and there was a mountain of smoke tainted but otherwise undamaged books outside remains which found their way to the gang's bedrooms

Isn't that in a way recycling putting back the carbon that was once in the air?

Bip.

I'm convinced all this skin cancer etc caused by clean air act, as kids we played in sun all day never any sun cream etc, BUT 2 weeks at mablethorpe or less you got really suntanned or burnt, they said it was the sea, the wind, allsorts, truth known there was that much **** in the sky over nottm the sun got filtered but east coast was clean

Don't know if anyone (maybe even me ) has mentioned Pork Farms on Queens drive. After a while of working there you became imune to it!