I don't think anyone has mentioned the smells of Goose Fair yet? As you approached you could smell it, foods, oil etc. As you entered and the food stalls were on your left [backing onto Gregory Blvd] you got the smells of mushy peas and mint sauce, cockles, candy floss, huge lollipops, Grantham gingerbread. Any more?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get the fire going, we would put the ash shovel on the grate, and cover it with a sheet of the Nottingham Evening post to cause a 'draw'. Once the fire got going with a roar, the paper would scorc

Waking up in a holiday caravan at Ingoldmels & smelling bacon frying, ahhh beautiful.

Robert Windsor Soap Factory Colwick. The smell of the soap was so strong it clung to us and when we caught the bus to go home at the end of the day, you would hear the whispers...What's that smell...

Posted Images

They taste good..but not as good as Nottingham fish and chips.

When I first visited the USA as a student, back in the early 80s, I came across a chain of fish and shops called Captain Treacher's. It was very odd to try the American take on something so typically English. So near, yet so far would be the best description of Treacher's fish and chips. Everything was wrapped in a facsimile of the "London Times".

I also visited some friends in Miami Beach. They took me to their favorite (sic) kosher diner where as a special treat they did fish and chips for the limey. I didn't have the heart to tell them just how wrong they'd got it. smile2

I don't think anyone has mentioned the smells of Goose Fair yet? As you approached you could smell it, foods, oil etc. As you entered and the food stalls were on your left [backing onto Gregory Blvd] you got the smells of mushy peas and mint sauce, cockles, candy floss, huge lollipops, Grantham gingerbread. Any more?

I always accociate the smell of fried onions with Goose Fair (Along with the taste of Brandy Snaps.) And who could forget the good old Cock on a Stick?

;)

Ah, the cock on a stick, that's what I meant by the big lollipops. They lasted for ages. I'd forgotten about brandy snap.

What about the Mexican jumping beans..all colours that you could buy as

you walked by the candy floss and brandy snap and gingerbread.

I must tell you this one though..re..the mushy peas at the Goose Fair.

I read a letter in the Bygones a while ago from a man who's Dad used to sell the lovely tasting mushy peas with mint sauce we all enjoyed ..he said nobody in their house had a bath for a week while the Goose Fair was on cos his Dad used their tin bath every night to soak the peas ready to cook at the Goose Fair!!! !faint!

Don't remember the snackery, but I do remember those 8ft long baloons ,that no matter how you tried to blow them up when you got home ,they always burst

;)smokingkills

They weren't balloons you twit they were condoms !rotfl!

Is there something you aren't telling us bigboy?? :rolleyes:

Well..dare I say it..that's a big jump from big balloons that you couldn't blow up.. to condoms..weeell...maybe not!

Now what's all this about mint sauce tasting more like vinegar with a dash of water?

You never had the fresh mint sauce my Mum used to make that went with new potatoes and green peas and leg of lamb and gravy.

The smell of fresh mint aauce...ummm..lovely.

It's Sunday morning here...and my kitchen never smells the same as my Mum's used to.

!hungry!

Sunday evening and SWMBO is working so I am making dinner in the near darkness (As it is pi***ng it down again, for the 30th consecutive day)We are having Turkey and the all the trimmings ,back to mint sauce my mum made her own and I follow her recipe religiously,

1 Open jar

2 Take four teaspoons and place in cup

3 Add one teaspoon sugar

4 Add four tablespoons vinegar stir liberaly and serve with mashed potatoes and four veg not forgetting the Lamb

;)

Did you say open jar beef? And did you say you followed your mum’s recipe?

I remember real mint sauce made by me dad god bless him. He grew it down at bottom of our yard in old stone sink. Whenever we had fish he would take a handful, wash it under tap while I pumped handle, chop it up finely with cut throat. Put it in class milk jug not forgetting to put milk back into stone bottle with equal parts water and vinegar got from corner shop. It was my job too to knock off several lumps of sugar from loaf and melt that in mixture by stirring vigorously.

Now that’s Mint Sauce luv.

Before you say owt we were posh, we were the only family in our yard who owned a glass milk jug and that was won by me at Goose Fair.

All the best Rose.

Now what's all this about mint sauce tasting more like vinegar with a dash of water?

Dash of mint Anne not water meduk.

Must draw your attention to the standard of mushy peas from Goose Fair. As a lad, both my parents would take me down to Goose Fair every year come sun rain and smog. Never was interested in rides, never my thing, only interested in food, Candy Floss, hot dogs, muscles and cockles, and the ever-popular mushy pea stall. Have noticed over many years now that the mushy pea has somewhat got over rated from goose fair for the simple reason the standard of mushy pea from a tin as surpassed the quality from a caldron over an open fire.

The last time I bought a pot of said peas I was most disappointed with what I got for so much money, I believe they were a pound a pot and for that they were basically raw [uncooked] floating in what can only be described as pale green tepid water.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but I remember mushy peas as being soft and plenty of them in a rich dark green sauce.

Sorry to say that what passes for mushy peas on goose fair these days is nothing as I remember them, so therefore I don’t bye them anymore, much rather wait until I get home and open a tin of Harry’s famous chip shop mushy peas for a fraction of the cost of goose fair peas. And to add that authentic touch to the occasion one can always stand outside with the Picasso Diesel ticking over giving you that smell of the goose fair generators.

!sickly! Bip.

the Picasso Diesel ticking over giving you that smell of the goose fair generators

That was a memory jog the deisel smell from the back of an ice cream van

;)

It used to be my job to make the mint sauce on a Sunday if roast lamb was on the menu(?). Fresh mint from down the garden (also grown in an old stone sink), chopped very finely with just a dash of sugar, then into the jar with malt vinegar and briskly stirred to get all the flavors going - lovely!

I still grow it here - throw a sprig in with new potatoes and I also put a sprig in when I am boiling corn-on-the-cob - at adds a delicious flavor - highly recommended!

Sorry about the misquote BIP..I shouldn't post in the middle of the night eh!!

Your Goose Fair peas sound orrible now..they used to be so good!

I wonder where they soak em before they cook em nowadays?

Harry's don't sound too bad though but I can't buy tins of mushy peas here.

Can you remember the stall in the corner of the fish market on the Victoria Market that sold mushy peas and cockles and mussells and welks?

When I make mushy peas..I soak em overnight with a bit of bi carb added to the boiling water I cover em with..then the next morning I pick out the black uns...then I wash em and add some sugar and a bit more bi carb..then cover with boiling water and let em simmer until they are

soft and mushy.

Limey...I used to be the one to pick the mint on a Sunday morning and we used some kind of small roller to crush the mint leaves..then add a bit of sugar and malt vinegar..it was lovely with lamb.

I still grow mint in a pot on my balcony.

Can anybody remember Mando's ice cream van..it used

to sound as if it had a motor bike engine.

I remember when it stalled we used to have to push it out of the Close

to the top of the Harwill Crescent and then let it go.

Hey Anne - I think we can get tins of mushy peas here! Next time I'm coming your way I'll drop off a can or two!

My buddy (from the Isle of Wight) and I will be passing through Brantford on our way to Watkins Glen in early September - we'll stop in for coffee!

B)

Ayup all,

Them old trolly buses had a smell of their own, sort of disinfectant smell but stronger, always felt sick on a Saturday going from Trent bridge to Bulwell market on one of them

Rog

going up drury hill on you right was a very old shoe-repairers thats perhaps where the smell came from, the person that owned the shop had it compulsery purchased to make way for the new broad marsh shopping center ,after broad marsh car park was finished he committed suicide by jumping off the top of it

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember the cobblers...

but one of the smells of old Nottingham I do remember is when my Dad would lift me up to look over the high wall at the trains as they chugged into the old Victoria Station.

There was an alley on Parliament Street you could go down just past Boots and watch them.

The smell of the steamtrain as it chugged into the station will never be forgotten.

Or the soot.

:Shock:

Ayup all,

Them old trolly buses had a smell of their own, sort of disinfectant smell but stronger, always felt sick on a Saturday going from Trent bridge to Bulwell market on one of them

Rog

Anyone visited here for a real smell?

http://www.tramway.co.uk/