• 8 months later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get the fire going, we would put the ash shovel on the grate, and cover it with a sheet of the Nottingham Evening post to cause a 'draw'. Once the fire got going with a roar, the paper would scorc

Waking up in a holiday caravan at Ingoldmels & smelling bacon frying, ahhh beautiful.

Robert Windsor Soap Factory Colwick. The smell of the soap was so strong it clung to us and when we caught the bus to go home at the end of the day, you would hear the whispers...What's that smell...

Posted Images

The smell of the beer brewing outside the Home Brewery.

Smoke and hot oil on the footbridge over Daybrook Station as the trains passed beneath, in the 1950s

Carni #196

My friend who left school same time as me,went to work in the soap factory colwick,she told me they used to make a sort of medicated soap and the girls called it tramp soap,she reckoned it was for washing tramps when they went to the doss house.

• 1 month later...

To get the fire going, we would put the ash shovel on the grate, and cover it with a sheet of the Nottingham Evening post to cause a 'draw'.

Once the fire got going with a roar, the paper would scorch and give out a gorgeous smell.

Until it caught fire and disappeared up the chimney.

Another, unmistakable, smell was that of a chimney fire.

12208359_1031562523555051_80387846179451

• Upvote 7

#206 mick2me - I can remember my mum using the daily newspaper to draw up the fire - those were the days hey !!!!

The smell of bonfire night which was always in the air the next morning.........

When I was an apprentice mechanic, I attended Day-Release Classes at the old Peoples College in Broad Marsh. I remember walking down Drury Hill and half way down on the left, there was a horrible pong from a building (it was worse if the windows were open) .

Many years later, I recognised the same smell coming from the factory next door to the old Vernon Cinema. This factory,( I think it was called "Flashing Services". specialized in galvanized steel products for the building trade. I reckon both pongs are the result of electro-plating.

I must tell you a funny yarn about Drury Hill:- According to my mate's wife, who's uncle owned a pet shop down Drury Hill, this uncle used to somehow capture sparrows and then paint the birds yellow, put them in a cage and sold them as canaries.

• Upvote 2

Many years later, I recognised the same smell coming from the factory next door to the old Vernon Cinema. This factory,( I think it was called "Flashing Services". specialized in galvanized steel products for the building trade. I reckon both pongs are the result of electro-plating.

I remember the strong smell from Drury Hill, but I believed it was from a different source. Half way down Drury Hill - at Postern Place - was a leather works, and I reckon the smell came from there.

drury%20hill.jpg

The smell is also mentioned in the Drury Hill thread here :- http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6104

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I worked on one at Ingoldmells immediately after leaving school. Brilliant. Bacon sarnies, magical.

• Upvote 1

When I was a 'young one' I lived at Bobbers Mill not far from the Wheatsheaf Pub. Depending which way the wind was blowing meant either the smell of tobacco from Player's or, the smell of soap and beer from Gerrard's and Shippo's in Basford

• 2 years later...

Yeah good, think Jason looked f**ked though, this was the last few dates of a quite long tour, support band on this tour all girl band called Liines where brilliant Derby crowd where also the tamest I'd ever seen for a Mods gig? Strange lot those Derby folk :crazy: 

Unlike The Fat White Family at Rock City last night, crowd & band immense, I've still not got my hearing back? Bonkers!

• Like 2