I'm 100% convinced skin cancer has increased with the use of sun blocks! Read the ingredients on the side of a container of one of those things. More toxic chemicals than you can poke a stick at.

Another reason NOT to use blocks, the body makes vitamin D, blocks prevent that, no wonder there are now millions of women who suffer from Osteoperosis!(sp)

I NEVER use any form of block, I rarely get burned these days due to the fact I now have a tan year round, plus several times of the year I mow several fields, takes quite a few hours, most of which are in the hottest part of the days.

Skin cancer used to be rare around the world before the advent of modern sun blocks, now it's in epidemic proportions!!

I was reading about the concern of high levels of a toxic substance in US patients in a report from our CDC a couple of weeks back. This substance is highly carcinogenic and could only have been absorbed from sun blocks!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get the fire going, we would put the ash shovel on the grate, and cover it with a sheet of the Nottingham Evening post to cause a 'draw'. Once the fire got going with a roar, the paper would scorc

Waking up in a holiday caravan at Ingoldmels & smelling bacon frying, ahhh beautiful.

Robert Windsor Soap Factory Colwick. The smell of the soap was so strong it clung to us and when we caught the bus to go home at the end of the day, you would hear the whispers...What's that smell...

Posted Images

I'm with you Eyup.

I work in my yard all the time. Wear a hat and don't overdo it but I will never use the junk that's in those tubes. We need vitamin D and sun exposure is a good way to get it.

I stay away from all of the bug repellents etc. too. Rather risk a few bites than absorb that stuff through my skin. There are enough toxic additives in our food without adding more on our skin.

Now I'm reading that the powers that be are going to start irradiating produce to "protect" us from harmful pathogens. If it kills the bugs what does it do to our food?

Gets more scary every day!!!!!

Dave

I'm convinced all this skin cancer etc caused by clean air act, as kids we played in sun all day never any sun cream etc, BUT 2 weeks at mablethorpe or less you got really suntanned or burnt, they said it was the sea, the wind, allsorts, truth known there was that much **** in the sky over nottm the sun got filtered but east coast was clean

Sun,what sun? we are still talking about England? !laughing!

Try going to the Everglades and not putting any repellent on Dave . I'm with you on the risk a couple of bites bit , but as we walked into the Aligator farm the lady patron asked us if we had any repellent ,we said we didn't need any thankyou, $4.50 for a little squirty thing, we were back inside in 5 seconds flat covered in the little bug***s (And you can think that says bugs if you like) "How much did you say? $4.50?" thankyou worth every penny!!

Try going to the Everglades and not putting any repellent on Dave . I'm with you on the risk a couple of bites bit , but as we walked into the Aligator farm the lady patron asked us if we had any repellent ,we said we didn't need any thankyou, $4.50 for a little squirty thing, we were back inside in 5 seconds flat covered in the little bug***s (And you can think that says bugs if you like) "How much did you say? $4.50?" thankyou worth every penny!!

Can't argue with that one Beefy.

But my vegetable patch is usually fairly safe. The little green lizards eat the so and so's.

There are also some natural repellents available and didn't I read somewhere that if you eat citrus fruit it keep the little suckers away?

Some people seem to attract them as well. I could sit out on the deck with my late wife and the only mosquito in 300 sq miles would find her.

Dave

I use "Off" on my socks because of the chiggars and seed ticks make a hell of a mess of my feet and ankles. But I won't use it on bare skin, it contains "deet" which is highly toxic, probably the cause of "desert storm syndrome" in troops, as they use it heavily in the unwatered down stuff!

I just brave the mozzies, pretty bad round here this year due to the very wet spring and wet start to summer.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember the smells from Treacers polish factory on clayton street in the meadows, what a smell, there used to be wax polish lying around their yard for days and everyone's front room smelt of Treacers polish, then round the corner you had jardines which smelled of cutting oil, what memories.

Ayup Dingbat,

I can remember the smell of them Suds (cutting oil) and when I smell them today it always reminds me of fifty years ago down the meadows

And you always knew who worked where from the smell on their clothes

Rog

Ayup Dingbat,

I can remember the smell of them Suds (cutting oil) and when I smell them today it always reminds me of fifty years ago down the meadows

And you always knew who worked where from the smell on their clothes

Rog

Ayup plantfit

yes you can forget names and the faces that belong to them but you never forget a smell it lingers in you minds eye and nostrils forever, the smell of the tickets you got when you rode the trolly bus, the smell from the pubs as you walked by and a sweet shop, those were the days eh.

Dingbat

you're quite right on the smell lingering longer in the memory, what about them rough paper hand towels they had at school, they had a smell of their own, we have the same thing in the wash room at work and the memory or Collygate infants always comes back to me when we open a new packet

Rog

Another great topic I've not seen before.

I remember many of the smells mentioned, Gerards, Shippoes, Drury Hill, the Police horse stables etc etc.

The Maggot Factory at Colwick has particular memories for me. In the early 70's the owner aquired a very large second hand steel chimney from a redundant steelworks in Sheffield, it was put up without planning permision and muggins here had to go and survey the whole building in order to make the application. If you thought the place smelt bad from the outside, you should have gone in, it was appalling, probably the nearest thing that you or I would experience what it must have been like in Belsen. The rotting carcases were ground up in a big mincer and shovelled into concrete troughs then flies were released from the fly house to lay eggs on them. The smell was so bad that I couldn't eat anything when I got home that evening, it affected my senses to the point that it took days for them to get back to normal, all my clothes had to be washed to get rid of the smell, I must have been popular going home on the E1 that night. I still have a copy of the original plans today, a great source of amusement, what was funny was that the owner kept his greyhounds in a compound in the middle of all this wretchedness, we had to keep that fact from the planners, but we knew that they would never fancy going in there to check the plans. Oh, the chap who owned it in those days was called Emil Kovaks, is he still about.

I've thought of some other epic local smells. Slagheaps, particularly on a wet day, had a distinctive smell of their own. After I left the area, you could always smell them on coming back, in particular, if we went up north on the A1 to see the outlaws, the smell hit you round about the Ollerton roundabout, it's all gone now, even there.

Stanton Ironworks was pretty pungent, mainly from the coke ovens, with the mainly prevailing westerley winds, Wollaton used to regularly cop it, sometimes even with the chemical pong from Spondon Works.

Another enduring smell was the river at Beeston wier, it was all that detergent waste and probably stuff from Sondon as well, does the smell still exist or has it been cleaned up.

A one off was the smell around the City during the drought in 1976, when it didn't rain for about 3 months. I was working in Castle Gate and to walk along Maid Marion Way from the bus station was a bit wierd, by the end of August everything smelt of a mixture of all sorts of things, sewage, diesel, tarmac, rotting everything, it wasn't very pleasant, can anyone remember that, it was a relief when it finally rained and cleaned everything up.

• 1 year later...

!englandflag! I remember walking along Prospect Street (radford)with my grandma, in the late 50's, & smelling/feeling the warmth from one of the Players factories, at groundlevel, warm tobacco!!

• 4 months later...

The skin yard at Beeston took some beating for its pong. This was a building at side of the level crossing at Beeston Station. Disappeared in 1969 when the road bridge over the railway was opened. Level crossing disappeared at the same time.

• 1 year later...