Bestest, longest pub crawl

Plenty of us have done the Mansfield Road run of a Friday/Saturday night. But how many have done the "ironman" Mansfield Road run from Redhill all the way into town?

I've done it once on a Bank Holiday Monday and surprise, surprise felt a tad poorly the day after.

So who can name the hostelries we visited? ;)

Waggon & Horses kick off...?

Has to be!

The "Waggon & Horses" is my "original" local! - I was born at 26 Lodge Farm Lane - the road directly behind the W&H! There used to be a gate from Lodge Farm Lane into the W&H car park.

Of course, we moved to Long Eaton in 1958 - when I was seven - I had my first pint there on December 30th, 2006 (yes, last Christmas)!

Sorry not that familiar with the watering holes on that side of town even though I have driven up and down there a few times. I could I suppose do a search on Google but then again that would be cheating....

Bip.

From memory!

Waggon & Horses

Ram Inn

The one on the corner of Oxclose lane

Old Spot

Daybrook

Vale Hotel

:blink:

Sherwood

Robin Hood

Punch & Judy

New Inn

:Fool:

Grosvenor

Nag's Head

Poacher

Golden Fleece

:Friends:

Rose of England

Peacock

:crazy:

And finished up in the Newcastle Arms.

:tease:

Some pubs missed because they were closed when we passed!

I used to think it was good in the White Hart we used to go in there on a Sunday lunch before an afternoon kick about (Football) near by

;)

White Hart. That's it - rough old estate pub. B)

IIRC, it later became a popular 'Brewers Fayre' type place and the clientele became about 2% more sophisticated :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

The 'Old Spot', opposite the brewery, had a mynah bird for many years.

Its speciality was wolf-whistling every female, upon her arrival.

An ex girl friend of mine took particular pleasure from this greeting, until:

1) She realised every women (18 to 80) got the same treatment.

2) The landlady told her that the bird was rather short-sighted.

The Vale (large pub at Thackerays' Lane junction) was rather a right-wing place, full of teachers, doctors, lecturers etc. Last pub in Nottingham to have a 'Gents Only' Lounge.....prior to the 'equality' legislation.

Eccentric veteran High Pavement teacher Fred Millidge held court in the 'Gents Only' almost every night, surrounded by countless acolytes. Most evenings he only spoke in Latin, after 10pm!

Cheers

Robt P.

White Hart. That's it - rough old estate pub. B)

IIRC, it later became a popular 'Brewers Fayre' type place and the clientele became about 2% more sophisticated :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

How can I call the White Hart rough? When I admit to having a few in, what was for a fair while, Nottingham city centre's grottiest dive - The Newkie Arms. The gents urinals were a foul smelling paddling pool. :(

I think Alan, the old manager, is now at The Trip.

Two come to mind in the late 60's. Parliament Street, start at Derby Rod and make ones way to the bottom, if you could!!!

Pubs in the city centre, I tried that with some mates starting and finishing at the TBI, we proceeded by bus of a Friday night, 1/2 pint in each, Fri. Sat. Sun two weekends on the trot and we still hadn't covered half the pubs! We were pretty inebriated to say the least though. :crazy::crazy:

I missed The Grove out of my list along with The Criterion:Shock:

The Chestnut Tree was still The Crantock Hotel, while the Forest Tavern was closed when we rolled by.

I couldn't manage that kind of crawl nowadays. :Friends: