This is a difficult one. Looks like Nottingham Guildhall in the background but can'tbe sure. Suspect it is circa 1930's with perhaps the old Trinity Church in the front right hand corner which could make it Foreman Street. Trinity Row or Trinity Square area. Or Milton Street?

B)

yup Trinity square 1953 from what would have been the forman building looks like the old Victoria station hotel in the background

There is some interesting detail in this picture.

A garage, Dog & Gun P.H. Recruiting Office, & 'Sam Wards' Newsagents?

The cars are interesting. What are they?

Do I spot a Rover 90 on the left?

The bus is an AEC Regent the one in front of the army recruiting office is an army tilly lorry the rear one of the pair is a Rover 75 and the big one is a Standard Vangaurd don't know what the front one nearest Sam Wards Garage is though

;)

Jowett Javelin???

Wasn't that the first production car to have an aluminium

Engine?

Nobody as yet mentioned the make, model or year of the Milk Float...don't we have any Milk Float anoraks amongst us?

I'm sure that's me mum on the corner pushing me in me pram, when that photo was taken I would be about that age.

Bip. :Fool:

Jowett Javelin???

Wasn't that the first production car to have an aluminium

Engine?

Nobody as yet mentioned the make, model or year of the Milk Float...don't we have any Milk Float anoraks amongst us?

I'm sure that's me mum on the corner pushing me in me pram, when that photo was taken I would be about that age.

Bip. :Fool:

All it says on the caption for the photo isan electric milk float (it also says that it is a 75 not 90 "ANY EX ROVER 75 OWNERS MAY LIKE TO KNOW THAT IT IS NAU 300 ,While there is a senior police officer with walking cane between the entrance to trinity place and the standard vangaurd

;)

If it was a car for use by a uniformed officer, it would be black?

Those were the days when a night uniform would have black buttons and

helmet plate. So that they would not be spotted by villains whilst checking security of commercial properties, by trying the doornobs (propper Coppers?)

I remember the Standard Ensign Black Mechanised car coming to school on a

Police Week at Trent Bridge Juniors in 1963.

Q Cars? Would that be CID?

Today Call signs for CID officers contain the letter 'Q'

Q Cars were unmarked patrol cars. They got their name from the Royal Navy's Q ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-car

And at a time when other forces raced to crime scenes to the accompaniment of the discrete tinkle of a chrome plated bell Nottingham's cars screeched through the streets with US-style sirens.

Again years ahead of their time.

;)

I think the smaller parked car is a Morris 8.