Package holidays abroad

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I worked on components for the RB211 engines that powered the Tristar or Lockheed 1011

Where was that Oz? My brother in law worked at Rolls royce  in Hucknall .

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the last day of our jollies Mrs Red always decides to dump the suntan lotion, think it’s time I fetched her in     

My one and only "package holiday" was back in the 50's when I went with my parents to Paris. There was no East Midlands Airport in those days. The holiday company was "Skyways". We had to make our own

First holiday abroad was in 1982 after an insurance policy matured. We had 2 weeks in Calas de Mallorca at a cost of £600 for my wife, myself and 2 kids, one child half price and the other one free. T

If my memory serve's me well the first cheap holidays to Spain were by "Freddie Laker"

I think that Sir Freddie can be applauded for opening up the skies cheaply across the Atlantic. What a great guy. British European Airways (BEA) I believe were the first to fly to the Costas in the late 1950’s and then Horizon Holidays?

8 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

My airline pilot friends used to refer to their holiday passengers, rather derogatorily, as They couldn’t always fly business class passengers.

I think that is a rather derogatory comment to make and I must say I know/knew lots of commercial pilots flying short and long haul and have never heard one make such a comment.  What does @MRS Bthink?  Now the flight crew are cocooned within the flight deck but the cabin crew have to deal with the odd obnoxious passenger.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I think that is a rather derogatory comment to make and I must say I know/knew lots of commercial pilots flying short and long haul and have never heard one make such a comment.  What does @MRS Bthink?  Now the flight crew are cocooned within the flight deck but the cabin crew have to deal with the odd obnoxious passenger.  

LizzieM they were always called the bucket and spade brigade in airline speak in the early days, especially with those Spanish donkeys they used to bring back. Maybe not nowadays but I think airlines are a lot more professional now. Flight crew are not necessarily cocooned although they are locked in, the comms between flight deck and cabin crew (CRM) is so much more improved, particularly after Kegworth. Cabin crew legally are only there for safety, the service is a bonus. Working for an airline for 30+ years makes me really cross with obnoxious passengers, there’s just no need for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1