Package holidays abroad

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the last day of our jollies Mrs Red always decides to dump the suntan lotion, think it’s time I fetched her in     

My one and only "package holiday" was back in the 50's when I went with my parents to Paris. There was no East Midlands Airport in those days. The holiday company was "Skyways". We had to make our own

First holiday abroad was in 1982 after an insurance policy matured. We had 2 weeks in Calas de Mallorca at a cost of £600 for my wife, myself and 2 kids, one child half price and the other one free. T

Not exactly a package holiday, but my first trip abroad was in 59/60. I'd be about 14/15 at the time.

A school trip to Lucerne in Switzerland. One day we all went up Mt Pilatus, and I purchased some bottles of cider, which som of us consumed in my room after dinner. However, I was seen falling down a flight of stairs by a teacher, and confined to my room the following day. The teacher was adamant that I would be banned from that days boat trip on Lake Lucerne.

I didn't complain, a bad stomach and a thick head saw to that.

On returning to FFGS, I was informed in no uncertain terms that this was my first and last school trip. Wow !

• 4 years later...

Bugger had our 2 weeks in Greece in September cancelled by Jet2 (low flight numbers) refund the very next day, Saturday afternoon booked 2 weeks in Spain same weeks, 2 hours later announced quarantine regulations! That’s 4 jollies booked & cancelled, can’t say I didn’t try :( 

Similar for us.

May for two weeks at Winthorpe, cancelled, it was booked before the Virus. Refund yesterday. A week at Deal in Kent for a week in July, cancelled, refunded approx 4wks ago. October, for two weeks at Winthorpe again cancelled, no deposit paid, so no worry there. Only disappointment, but we decided that we didn't want to take the risk. 

Sorry, just realised, our cancelled hols are not abroad, :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, radfordred said:

can’t say I didn’t try

No one says you're not trying RR... very   :crazy:

Do people actually still go to Winthorpe to holiday Carni?

Ps.When we are eventually released from high risk self isolation, are there any decent b + b in Nottingham?

2 hours ago, denshaw said:

Someone told me that a caravan on the east coast can cost up to £1,000 per weeks rental.

Caravan, easy beach access 104 for a week 'ont net.  Golden Palm resort is only 255. Perhaps they mean the east coast of Abu Dhabi...

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

Do people actually still go to Winthorpe to holiday Carni?

12 hours ago, denshaw said:

Someone told me that a caravan on the east coast can cost up to £1,000 per weeks rental.

Yes BK, Lots of people including us still holiday at Winthorpe. We go for two weeks in Spring and again in Autumn.  Without getting all our receipts out to check, the estimated combined total rental is approximately £1, 500, depending on the actual weeks we book.( This includes our 10% discount for being regulars). Never book for the weeks of school half terms. The site we use is a family run one and they have some new caravans to rent out every new season, so we are sometimes  among the first occupants of the Spring. 

Den, Definitely can pay £1000 especially on Butlins. We go out of season for peace and quiet so Butlins is a No No for us.

That area, between Skegness and Mablethorpe must have the largest concentration of holiday caravans on the planet. How can you sit and relax if you're in the middle of one of those sites? Do the owners supply you with a satnav or some other navigation aid, if you decide to go for a walk.

Must admit I was getting confused. When I looked on 'maps' I thought it were somewhere near Newark. Is there two Winthorpes then?

They give you a ball of string and you tie one end to the caravan when you go for a walk!

There is a Winthorpe just outside Newark. It used to be on the main road but when the the bypass was built the village became isolated so there is just one road in and out. It has an unusual brick built church with a spire which can be seen from the A1.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

That area, between Skegness and Mablethorpe must have the largest concentration of holiday caravans on the planet.

In about 1951 we went on holiday to that region but I don't know exactly where.  It was sea of caravans then. We arrived at Skeg on the train, in the rain, got a taxi to take us to the gate of a field full of caravans. We were left standing in the rain while dad went to find our rental van, which was not in that field, so we repeated the exercise at the next field. Dad came back having found our van. 'Array!' Yelled me and lickle brother. Dad's face was deadpan, and when we arrived soaked at the van it was obvious why he wornt chuffed. 'Journeys End' it was called. It had ended its own journey half a century or more before. It was an old railway carriage from the late 19th century I would now guess. It was painted black, it stood on brick pillars and the roof was graced with a row of clerestory windows end to end. The living "room" to the right included a coal fired old stove for cooking which our mam was disgusted with. A table, 4 chairs and entertainment was a box of dominoes and a ludo. The sleep arrangements were a kind of double bed sized bunk with sheets stained with iron mould (rust). Smelly Elsan in a rickety shed round the back on the edge of stinky drainage dyke. The rest of the week was good weather so me and our kid had a great time on those lovely sands, dawn till dusk. 

We were surrounded by proper road caravans from the 30s and 40s I would guess but the pair of us didn't really bother, i told our kid we had a special big caravan. 

• Like 2

@radfordredCan’t see very clearly at the best of times but it/they must be either dad, mum my older brother or me.  
The windows were opened using a leather strap with holes in.  You lifted the strap off a nail thingy under the window.  The window then dropped down and you put the leather strap on the nail again when it was open far enough.

There  was a veranda on one end of the carriage with a door that led into the kitchen.  I think it was a sliding door which led from this into my mum’s and my bedroom, then another door into my dad’s and my brother’s bedroom.

The van was called Swallowbeck and it was right next to a steep path over the dunes (no steps so I’d struggle a bit now!). 
There were only 2 other vans like this on the small site at Chapel St Leonards. They were called Lindum and Wainfleet.  We always seemed to go at the same time as another family from Nottingham.  There were 2 children - a boy called Kevan and a girl called Christine.  They lived in possibly Thorneywood and their surname was Connor.  I have a sweet photo of me with Kevan when we were 10 - if I can find it.  Often wondered where he is now....