Package holidays abroad

@katyjay  I'm so sorry we have managed to wander away from package holidays abroad.  Unfortunately?  I have never had a package holiday abroad - only been once to France ... Paris and then to stay in a friend's cottage in mid France.   Couldn't afford to go abroad when I was young and now that we could afford it, I don't really fancy it.   I know !!   I'm boring !

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the last day of our jollies Mrs Red always decides to dump the suntan lotion, think it’s time I fetched her in     

My one and only "package holiday" was back in the 50's when I went with my parents to Paris. There was no East Midlands Airport in those days. The holiday company was "Skyways". We had to make our own

First holiday abroad was in 1982 after an insurance policy matured. We had 2 weeks in Calas de Mallorca at a cost of £600 for my wife, myself and 2 kids, one child half price and the other one free. T

• 4 weeks later...

Just think yourself lucky that your holiday has been cancelled RR. Spain is the worst hit in Europe. Many returning to Italy from there have been tested positive. Glad you're not going to be one of them.

My memories of package holidays start with travelling down the M1 to Luton Airport to fly to Ibiza, Majorca, Torremolinos with Dan Air, on their Comet 4's and BAC 111's.Court Line BAC 111's in bizzare colours, pink, purple, blue and green and Brittania Airways with their early 737's.

Fond? memories of last night parties, far to much Sangria, Bacardi and coke and Fundador and having to survive a bumpy flight home on a pink plane suffering a blinding hangover and not feeling altogether the best...... Great times and I'd do it all over again if I could.

• Like 2

Package holidays? I've had a few both with my family and also with my parents when I've gone with them whilst my husband has been working. Two were to Majorca with parents and 2 children the other with my husband and children to Ibiza. They were ok , nothing special. When I was 17 I went to Jersey with a friend, flew from Derby airport in a Dakota ( first flight) stayed in a small boarding house. Went again the following year. Before I was married I'd always gone with my parents camping in a tent or else caravan so at 17 I thought it was great to go on holiday on a plane! The first time abroad we camped , ferry to Calais only to be met by Gendarmerie with guns and " anything to declare?" Dad replied " such as" mum said "ssshhh he's got a gun" we saw and passed through 6 countries . Loved it although got a bit fed up with the food. Mum had sorted out a menu for 2 weeks and had stocked up with tinned food. The menu was sorted for each day and labeled Mon, Tues etc only buying fresh bread and fruit with the occasional restaurant meal and squishy cream cakes. (sorry Carni)

The following year my penfriend of many years came to visit and we did a similar trip collecting charms to fix to bracelets we both had from the year before when I visited her in Ky and her uncle took us on a trip through the states down into Mexico. Lovely memories. Don't think I would like a package or organized trip now.

In '98 my husband surprised me by booking to go to Australia. We had a friend in Perth so that was where we landed, then onto Cairns and Brisbane where I had family. Loved it too cuddling koalas, seeing kangaroos in their habitat and also feeding the Quokers ( spelling).

Now I'm quite content to seeing as much of Italy as I can. Seen the northern part but love to see  a bit more of Sicily and see their traditions and of course the food.

• Like 2

Loved my first package holiday in 1970,,which i already mentioned,,,,

Majorca 1970,,,£40 for 4 nights,,,during which,,...did all these things i'd never done before,,,or will again ,probably...

Drank bottle of wine in a bath,,to ease blisters on rear end ,after

my first and only Horse riding session there,,

Went with Ladies dart team from Arnold,,,went with a crazy Woody Allen ,lookalike and actalike....lol

Taught a German lady to Cha-Cha,,

Since those crazy days,,ive been to Spain many times and loved each visit,,Always wanted to sample the delights of Benidorm and hopefully will soon...will force myself to be the typical Brit and Party as much as possible,,, Cha-Cha with the wife this time,,

• Like 3

First and only one I ever took was offered by charter airline, Wardair.  Unfortunately now out of business.  Ten days in Hawaii from Calgary  $600.  It included a two bedroom apartment on the fifteenth floor of a building.  I suspect they probably owned a couple of floors of the building.  It was great.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  Great price for what you got too.  Once there you found your own entertainment.  Ours was mostly on the beach with our kids, but  there was lots to do in Honolulu.

• Like 2

Package holiday in Honolulu sounds good Loppy...............since my Majorca jaunt (50 years ago) all my non family hols have been a little more sophisticated,,,however having missed going abroad for two years (due to my health issue) i am really tempted by Benidorm,,,daughter wants us to go with her and the kids ;) my health is much improved so think its a ''go for it time''....Covid permitting.....

• Like 4

They've got a lot more Palm trees than Skeggy, Ben.  Other than that it's a big Amercan  city with a Pacific beach.  Nice though, temps in the low 80s in November.  Hard going home to snow and -20.  

You'd have loved the Kodak Hula show.  All those dusky Hawaian girls in grass skirts.  Shouldn't be allowed. :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Loppy, my brother-in-law and his wife have been to Hawaii many times from their home in Victoria BC.  I suppose it’s much like us UK residents nipping down to the Canaries for a quick dose of sunshine.  

• Like 2

Yes, Wardair had some good deals.  Charters to England as well.  I flew on one mid 70s.  Dropped over to see me mam.  It landed in Manchester.  It was owned by Max Ward, a former pilot.  Quite big at one time.  He owned several 747s, a DC 10. or two along with some 707s.  Flew quite a lot of charters to the UK.  Often Gatwick.  Can't remember why it closed.  It was safe and reliable.

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I never heard of Canadian Air.

Wardair Canada was a privately run Canadian airline, founded by Max Ward in 1952 under the name Wardair Ltd, before formally changing its name to "Wardair Canada" in 1976. The airline was acquired by and folded into Canadian Airlines in 1989.

Canadian Airlines International Ltd. (stylized as Canadi›n Airlines or Canadi‹n Airlines, or just simply Canadian) was a Canadian airline that operated from 1987 until 2001. The airline was Canada's second largest airline after Air Canada, carrying more than 11.9 million passengers to over 160 destinations in 17 countries on five continents at its height in 1996. Canadian Airlines served 105 destinations in Canada, more than any other airline. Canadian Airlines was also a founding member of the Oneworld airline alliance.

Aint Wiki wonderful... ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/3/2016 at 3:09 PM, benjamin1945 said:

First package holiday abroad...............Majorja 1971....4 days,,£40.............wonderful time................mind you it was with a Ladies Darts Team from Arnold...plenty of Doubles and Trebles.....even a Bulls Eye........ :biggrin:...........the then Wife had to drop out at last minute..........I was gutted.

The above holiday was exactly 51 years ago this week...........on the second day i went 'Horse' riding for the ist and only time in my life.....rode all morning...on a crazy horse called Andalucia that wanted to jump over every wall and fence it saw....soaked my bruised and battered'' rear end in the bath all afternoon.......but still danced most of the night...:)

• Like 1

My wife and daughter used to have horses and ponies. The last pony had to be put down on the same day that our standard poodle died. Our daughter was at uni in London and when I collected her from the train for a weekend stay I had to break the news to her. Imagine how that went down!

My first job when I left school was at Luton Airport and the two Court line Tristars we’re AA and AB aka fat Albert and big Bertha. The parking stands were certainly very colourful when they were sat there with their 1-11’s. Only problem was when one of the Tristars went tech they had to substitute with 3x 1-11’s. Happy times spent there for me.

• Like 1

We flew on a Court Line plane once. Either they were turquoise, pink, green or yellow if I remember correctly. The stewardesses were dressed to match.

There was a blackberry coloured one too. We had the best view on the airport from the control tower.