The Flying Horse Pub

Us freaks and weirdos were very peacable - I certainly never saw, or even heard of, any fights in the Goose Fair Bar. Maybe I missed it somehow! Mind you I think Teds were way before the 70's.
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nicked this painting from Facebook. I think it's lovely.  

Just reading the posts about The Flying Horse being a "gay" bar reminds me of a grand old "queen" Albert Brown whom I frequently took home (on the #43 bus to Trent Bridge).Used to wear a white suit an

Just found a sort of business card for the Flying Horse Hotel in the Poultry , Nottingham in my parents stuff . As you see the prices are in £sd and my parents left Nottingham in 1966 so must be pre

Posted Images

The Dog and Bear is now a 'Whittards' coffee and tea shop/store. mate.

As an apprentice leccy, I was involved in the re wiring of the Dog and Bear.

One task I had, was to get above the bar area, which had just been all plastered, and I had to walk along the joists, taking the cable ready to poke through holes that would be made, to power the lighting over the bar.

Except I managed to slip and fall through the recent masterpiece of plastering, landing on the bar, much to the amusement of most, but not the plasterer!

Sorry to sound pedantic Craig ,but did you post this story else where 'cos I'me sure I've read it before!! I got a giggle both times!!

If I rember, the D&B had quit ornate plaster cornices around the ceiling?

They were possibly hidden by a false ceiling?

• 5 months later...

Then I could run down the back alley from Warrows when it gets raided.....sheesh how often did that happen....strait in thru back door into goosefair bar...landlord gave you a 'bit' of a pint and would swear youve been there fer ages.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Remember it?

How on earth could they allow its destruction. More crimes of the 1970 Planners.

I remember the glass panel in the bar floor where you could see the cellars

below.

When did it finish trading as a pub?

What do you remember about the place?

Gutted. The Flying Horse was a brilliant pub and one of the best watering holes in Nottingham.

• 3 years later...

My mates and I went in the Flying Horse regularly in the early 70's, great place. Met my future husband there and we've been married for 37 years now! Wish it was still there, it seems that everything from my past has been either closed down or demolished, including Infant School, Junior School and workplace.

Oh yes, just remembered the IRA bomb scares in the early 70's ....... The police would evacuate the place and all we would do was go and stand on the opposite side of the street with our drinks until the all clear.

My mates and I went in the Flying Horse regularly in the early 70's, great place. Met my future husband there and we've been married for 37 years now! Wish it was still there,

You may have already found these, but if you go to Picture the Past and search Flying Horse you get - among other things - a load of photos which they say were taken around 1981 Might bring back a few memories for you.

To save you the trouble of searching, here's the link; just put Flying Horse in the Search box. http://www.pictureth...uk/frontend.php

Interior pictures of most older buildings are a rarity except where they have been taken privately at a wedding or similar occasion..Except of course those with major historical importance.

Thanks for telling me that Cliff Ton, just gone through them and the place looked very dreary and tired when those photos were taken. Not really how I remember it 10 yrs before, no wonder they closed it down!

Interesting to note the 'Salad Bar' in the internal pics, long before 'Harvesters' became popular, obviously they stole the idea from Berni.........................

• 3 months later...

I was devastated to learn that the old flying horse was turned into a shopping arcade. All that history and some very good memories erased. My Father R.I.P. used to drink in there and when I was of legal age it became my local. I used to drink in the Goose Fair bar mainly us trendies/clubbers preferred the upstairs bar on the right hand side. I don't recall all the names of the bars in there but the left hand bar was somewhat known as Dandy, the Goose Fair bar for the hippies, the bottom right hand bar for families and some slightly more tough characters and the upstairs bar leant more toward the trendies. I recall a shop on the corner where I bought most of my clothes but forget the name, it could have possibly been called Bus stop. :)

• 1 month later...

People remember the Flying Horse for its atmosphere and olde worlde charme, but a lot of that was artificial.There had been an old inn on the site for many years, but most of what you saw in the 60s and 70s was mock-old and had been built in the 1930s.

Looking at the 'Britain from Above" site I found this photo showing the Flying Horse in the late 1920s. This is the building(s) which existed before the altered version remembered by people today.

Exchange Walk is running at 45 degrees up from the bottom right, and you can also see the line of Peck Lane which is the alleyway alongside the Flying Horse.

horse-2.jpg

And here's a map from a few years earlier. No Council House yet, but the Flying Oss is the same.

1912.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just found a sort of business card for the Flying Horse Hotel in the Poultry , Nottingham in my parents stuff .

As you see the prices are in £sd and my parents left Nottingham in 1966 so must be pre that date .

Way back in this thread , someone asked how many bars there were .

I expect it changed over time but when this was printed , there were 7 bars and 3 restaurants .

I know its all relative to wages at the time but £4.25 for a double room and less than 70 pence for a sirloin steak seems good value !

(Listed for future Googlers)

Friar Tucks Grill,Roundabouts Grill,Blue Boar Grill,Ale House Bar,Merrymakers Bar, Goose Fair Bar, Market Bar, Little Johns Bar,Market Snug, Marians Bar

9108463074_602d736535_c.jpg

9106235369_fa64ba1262_c.jpg

• Upvote 2

"I know its all relative to wages at the time but £4.25 for a double room and less than 70 pence for a sirloin steak seems good value..."

Around 1970 (i.e before the decimalisation fiddle) I used to travel a lot by train (well, working on the railway that really was cheap!) I used to have full English breakfast in the restaurant car going down to London, and that was 7/6d (37½p). As I recall, full dinner was 12/6d (62½p) and on one occasion I had afternoon tea in the Pullman restaurant car on the Golden Arrow coming up from Dover to London for 5 bob. .

Actually Stephen you are right 13/6 pence must have been quite an expensive meal now I think about it .

I remember as a young teenager (must have been before 1964 when I started a Saturday job) , my Saturday treat was to go in a cafe facing the Hippodrome Snackery, up by the Gaumont. Could have been next door to a stamp shop ? You could have pie , chips and peas, tea and bread and butter for 2/6 pence. Then belly full , hop on a free bus from Parliament St. to go and watch Forest play....happy days.

Can't see any mention on here of the Hippodrome Snackery . What a wonderful place that was for fish and chips , 3 floors ? always seemed to be jam packed . From being a nipper would often go in there with my mum.

The waitress never had to write down orders, she just memorised it as each dish had a code word . Fish, chips , fritters and peas was something like a "full house" and then there was an "all the works" which probably included tea and bb.

Then she would carry a massive tray of fish and chips alll the way upstairs and rarely got an order wrong .

I remember as a young teenager (must have been before 1964 when I started a Saturday job) , my Saturday treat was to go in a cafe facing the Hippodrome Snackery, up by the Gaumont. Could have been next door to a stamp shop ? Y

This one?

stamp-2.jpg