The Flying Horse Pub

Thats the definitely the block of shops , maybe the cafe was further down the street out of this camera view . Ta !

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nicked this painting from Facebook. I think it's lovely.  

Just reading the posts about The Flying Horse being a "gay" bar reminds me of a grand old "queen" Albert Brown whom I frequently took home (on the #43 bus to Trent Bridge).Used to wear a white suit an

Just found a sort of business card for the Flying Horse Hotel in the Poultry , Nottingham in my parents stuff . As you see the prices are in £sd and my parents left Nottingham in 1966 so must be pre

Posted Images

The pub was knocked through to make "The Stage Door" . Before that it was still accessed from both Parliament Street and Wollaton Street , it was a right 'spit and sawdust' place. The name eludes me !

According to closed pubs it was called The Hand , closed in the 80s..

I think the shop Stret ons should have been Strettons a bedding shop ? Somebody went out for "t".

I wanted to call it The Hand and Heart but knew that was else where, The Hand Inn it was. We would grab a quick half whilst using it as a 'short cut' between the Tavern in the Town and Mortimers !

I wanted to call it The Hand and Heart but knew that was else where, The Hand Inn it was. We would grab a quick half whilst using it as a 'short cut' between the Tavern in the Town and Mortimers !

Yes, it was the Hand. As I recall, it was always full of luvvies from the Theatre Royal.

A picture of the Snackery chip shop on Wollaton St. Did I imagine it was called the Hippodrome Snackery ? Was the Gaumont once called the Hippodrome ?

http://www.dreamtargets.com/nottm80s/gallery_0148.htm

• Upvote 1

Doh looks like The Snackery has already been covered many years ago . It showed up on google but not the sites own search bar .

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=248&page=3

And they made their own pies !

Could have been because I used Hippodrome before it .

Anyway the pie , peas and chips shop I went to on Wollaton Street in the 60s was , I am almost certain , this one , Stockwoods cafe . According to PofP , this is from the early 70s.

9111660328_8a0a8784c0_c.jpg

(Who is boss today?)

Penny farthing later became Scamps and Arabellas now a hotel.

• 2 years later...

Just reading the posts about The Flying Horse being a "gay" bar reminds me of a grand old "queen" Albert Brown whom I frequently took home (on the #43 bus to Trent Bridge).Used to wear a white suit and shoes,wore make-up and had a loverley head of blond hair. And NO,I`m not one of "those" Great old character. Catfan might remember him too.A small ditty from John Beeton`s book, Nottingham as It is spoke Volume four,and I quote:

I remember a character,Albert Brown Swanning around in lipstick and paint, All of these folk I remember with fondness

The Quentin Crisp of his day. He kept the City amused As I dredge through my memory

I suppose he was homosexual A friend of the toffs and the toughs alike Did you ever see poufy old Albert?

Or in modern terms,he was gay. Never assaulted and never abused. You must be as old as me.

No disrespect is meant by any of the preceeding passages.

• Upvote 4

He's been mentioned quite a lot on here Blackie, maybe someone who is good on the threads will tell you where to look. Flying Horse was a favourite haunt of mine in the early 70's. Never noticed it being a gay pub, just a good lively place to go before hitting the clubs. I think when the place was refurbished with several small bars within it lost that reputation.

Can any one recall the "Exchange pub" which used to be next to the "Flying Horse" I think it was a pub for gents to pick up ladies of leisure.

A very good pub which was included in our mid 60's pub crawls. It had that reputation then so I presume it was true.

"Exchange" being the operative word I presume. LOL

• Upvote 1

Didn't the "Flying Horse" have a reputation for being a gay bar in the early 70's?

There used to be a few go in there but it wasn't really a gay bar as such. I used to use the pub at weekends while waiting for the GF or mates to turn up. To be honest, back then, we wouldn't have known if anyone was 'gay' anyway, I don't think mincing was popular then.