The Flying Horse Pub

Dog & Bear and the Fountain both gone. You would not recognise the pub that is now the Cross Keys.

What was the pub/club next to the Cross Keys? Grab a Granny on a Friday??

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nicked this painting from Facebook. I think it's lovely.  

Just reading the posts about The Flying Horse being a "gay" bar reminds me of a grand old "queen" Albert Brown whom I frequently took home (on the #43 bus to Trent Bridge).Used to wear a white suit an

Just found a sort of business card for the Flying Horse Hotel in the Poultry , Nottingham in my parents stuff . As you see the prices are in £sd and my parents left Nottingham in 1966 so must be pre

Posted Images

Dog and bear gone! !sickly! Tell me it isn't true!

I think the club must have been the Hippo?

fridays it was free before ten and we used to go down there and be the first guys in a club full of girls! As you all know, Nottingham has the best looking girls in the world ever! So we alwasy used to pull by 10:30!! Also, at the hippo you got this little card that meant you could have a free meal. Now, the free meal made Vesta curry seem like Cordon Bleu but - and htis is the important bit - it was free! meant you had more ten Ps left for a half pint of...............................WATNEYS RED!

Pat and Keith the DJs never used to talk and didn't go big on requests either - but the music was awesome and so well ordred that often you couldn't tell where one track ended and the next began!

I remeber Tug. I also remember a CID guy who worked vice - Sooty Leivers. He used to get into all the clubs for free and he was a totally ace guy. If we still had coppers like that we wouldn't have of the grief we get these days. !jumping!

Dog and Bear closed as early as 1991 if i remember correctly

I do remember going in there in 1984 with Mick2me and they had a video juke box , the track playing was 'Legs' and somebody anounced "oh look Zed Zed Top"

Charlie, you are in for a Shock

Dog & Bear, a Tea Shop!

THe Fountain, knocked down, now a Clothes shop

THe Q.E. Knocked down.

AND The Ariba gone too!

If you find the Search link top right, you will be amazed what you can find!

Yes Sooty Leivers was a Gent, met him many times.

Sadly Died many years ago. I think it was Sooty who lived out in the sticks (Newark?)

Took the ambulance a while to get to him, or he would have been with us longer!

RIP Sooty "a fair Cop"

That's it - the Old Vic. What a place :Kiss:

Did you go to it in the days when it was an 'old time music hall' Frank? Anybody? In the early eighties I used to go in there after Panthers games on a Saturday night. It was quite a laugh with the Jolson impersonator and the *ahem** quite large lady that used to do a rendition of 'Muletrain' cracking a tray on her head!

Great nights!

Did notice on my last visit that the Malt Cross (On St James's street) had reopened , We didn't go in but that used to be set out like a music hall (Infact I think it used to be one)

Yes that it - Jimmy Hetherington. He used to MC the shows on Saturday nights as I recall.

Re the Old Malt Cross, my curiosity got the better of me around three weeks ago and I finally took a long in early doors one night. I liked what I saw actually though it does look as though it gets heaving alter on on busy nights.

There's a lot of entertainment in the way of live music on there it seems. I called there one night last week though and couldn't really recommend the acts. To bew fair it was maybe the mood i was in wasn't conducive to listening. The artists sit on the balcony midway between the downstairs and upper stairs straight facing the doors and do tend to dominate proceedings. It's a superb building though. There's a website but it doesn't give a huge amount of historical info which is what I'd be interested in.

My one and only time of going into Yates's was in 1994. We had a group of Americans with us and wanted to do a typical pub crawl around Nottm. We sailed into Yates, then realised everyone wasn't with us, so went back to the entrance to look for them. Turns out 2 of our group were in dressy jeans, and the bouncer wouldn't let them in. He said it was after 7pm and no jeans allowed. The ones who had gone in first saw that others already in there were wearing jeans, and pointed this out. It didn't make any difference, apparently if you went in before 7 wearing them, that was OK, and you could stay in after 7, but you couldn't walk in after 7 with them on. The 2 who were wearing the jeans were man and wife Sherrif's deputies, hardly yobbos, but that didn't wash with the bouncer either. So we went elsewhere. What a stupid rule.

Charlie, you are in for a Shock

Dog & Bear, a Tea Shop!

THe Fountain, knocked down, now a Clothes shop

THe Q.E. Knocked down.

AND The Ariba gone too!

If you find the Search link top right, you will be amazed what you can find!

Yes Sooty Leivers was a Gent, met him many times.

Sadly Died many years ago. I think it was Sooty who lived out in the sticks (Newark?)

Took the ambulance a while to get to him, or he would have been with us longer!

RIP Sooty "a fair Cop"

I am so sad to hear about Sooty - I kind of figured he would be gone, but to have it confirmed. imsorry

Reminds me of my old mate Alan who got refused entrance to Isabella's one night cos "Your shoes are too soft" EH!

I was working the door at the Arriba one night (A members and guests only club) and these kids came up wanting to get in, I told them straight to p*ss off it's members only one of them said "But I'm 18 look I've tattoos" and proceeded to undress on Bottle lane to show me his bum,then one of his mates starts to thrust his passport in my face and started ranting on about me being a racist (Cos he was half cast) I just laughed in his face and closed the door. He shouted something about getting his dad to sort me out!!

• 4 months later...

I remember I had my very first meal out in the Flying Horse, my Aunty and Uncle took my Mum and me there, would have been around 1969, can't remember the occasion though, do remember I asked for a Bacardi and coke and my Mum agreeing to it even though I was only 14 at the time !cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I remember the Goose Fair bar at the bottom used to be used by 'freaks and weirdos' in the mid to late 70s. It had a heavy rock/progressive juke box and was apparently a good place to score dope.

I once saw 2 (young) teds get battered in there by the Forest mad squad.

I remember the Goose Fair bar at the bottom used to be used by 'freaks and weirdos' in the mid to late 70s. It had a heavy rock/progressive juke box and was apparently a good place to score dope.

Used to go in there quite often, never saw any trouble - always very laid back...... :)

• Upvote 1

Us freaks and weirdos were very peacable - I certainly never saw, or even heard of, any fights in the Goose Fair Bar. Maybe I missed it somehow! Mind you I think Teds were way before the 70's.

Us freaks and weirdos were very peacable - I certainly never saw, or even heard of, any fights in the Goose Fair Bar. Maybe I missed it somehow! Mind you I think Teds were way before the 70's.
Teds were in a big revival during the 70s. Ask any 70s punks.
Teds were in a big revival during the 70s. Ask any 70s punks.

I do remember the Ted revival, sort of coincided with the rebirth (?) of rockabilly, perhaps '77 onwards?

Match box , and Rocky Sharpe and the Replays to name but two and yes 77/78/79 ,more or less the same time as the 'Punk explosion' although the later has a longer impression on the memories of us kids of the day.