Who was Herman Douthit?

Herman Douthit is the only civilian buried at the American War Cemetery at Madingly, near Cambridge.

Who was he, and what was his connection to Nottinghamshire?

Vaguely recall somethiing to do with Eakring Oil exploration during WWII, involving selected Americans - with oil work experience. Was he one of the explorers?

IIRC, there is a plaque at the site commemorating his death.

Cheers

Robt P.

Correct - give that man the prize!

He was one of the American oilmen who drilled over 100 oilwells at Eakring during the war. He fell to his death - the only worker killed. I remember going to see the "nodding donkeys" as a kid!

The Dukes Wood Museum website: http://www.dukeswoodoilmuseum.co.uk/ has a very good history of the Americans coming over and doing the work - which was a key part of the war effort to overcome the losses caused by U-boats in the North Atlantic!

If you have never been to the American Cemetery at Madingley, I can recommend it if you are in the area. It is a very moving place - and makes you realise just how terrible war really is!

I visited Madingly in about 1976 with the Air Training Corps and yes it is very moving even to a spotty 15 year old

We then moved on to the Shuttleworth Collection(Vintage planes) at Old Wardon Airodrome not that far away,a good day out.

;)