• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I share Lizzies attitude of not running scared. And although I'm 82 next moth I do not feel old and vulnerable. I am out and about every day but wearing a mask when needed and I carry my own hand gel

Can honestly state that despite a couple of major health 'set backs' have never felt old,,,Smoked,Drank, and chased many unhealthy lifestyles,,but never seemed to affect how old i felt....      

Nice one young Ian,...........don't mean not mentioning our 'Katy' lol................can't follow that,you've been a real performer this last year..............so to you and everyone on the site (inc

I share Lizzies attitude of not running scared. And although I'm 82 next moth I do not feel old and vulnerable. I am out and about every day but wearing a mask when needed and I carry my own hand gel to use before and after using doors, farm gates etc. I give my Gt granddaughter a peck most days before and after school. My son came over yesterday evening to share a beer in the Man Coup. He is a teacher but also very careful.

Life itself is a risk and I'm buggered if I will run scared. Careful and considerate yes - scared, no!

This last 2 years i have treated New Year just the same as a normal evening, then enjoy New Years Day usually fishing for Grayling and enjoying being alive in the countryside.

Of course Compo has the absolute solution - pitch a tent somewhere scenic and isolated and reflect on how silly the rest of the world is :biggrin:

• Like 9
10 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Beekay please don't be sad as we are all in the same boat, think of all your good times.                                                                                It's the younsters i feel for.

Don't misunderstand me Mary, I'm not sad at all. I don't regret one minute of my life. The best years have been the last 56. I sometimes wish I'd stayed on the buses, best job I ever had.

It's interesting that this situation may have forced people to consider for the first time whether they are 'old' or not.

Are you old just because your age has passed a certain number ?   Or because of the way you feel ?  Or the way you think other people see you ?

I don't think or feel that I'm old, but someone looking at me might say that I was. 

I feel that I could go out and help 'old' people because I'm not in the same category as them.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm 63 in November but I'd say, physically, I'm middle aged. In my head, I'm only 4 years old! :P

Like PP, I'll wear a mask and follow sensible rules when I'm out but I refuse to panic. I'm not frightened by what's happening.  As to isolation, I can honestly say I enjoy it! Like, philmayfield, I'm a bit of a misanthrope. Lack of human company doesn't bother me.

I don't feel old in the mornings but if I'm doing a lot of stuff during the day I begin to feel more tired in the late afternoon, which reminds me I'm getting older and should pace myself a bit more.  I don't feel old in my mind... hope I never do!    Most of my friends round here are much younger than me but they don't treat me as though I'm an old lady thank goodness...  

• Like 3

I do get a bit tired in the afternoon but then there’s loads to do here on the ranch. I’m looking for a chaise longue that I can site downstairs so that I can take half an hour’s respite. I want something Victorian/ Edwardian and I’m scouring the online antique sellers for a suitable model.

I dont feel or think old, I just wish my body would agree with me.  Due to physical problems I have to think how I go about doing things but I still manage to achieve what I set out to do. Age is just a number ignore it.

The only time I have been made to feel old was when the wife was away and I sat outside a Cafe and had a coffee watching the world go by. I smelt the bacon being cooked , so I ordered a breakfast after eating that another coffee.  When it became time to go my body had seized and I struggled to get up. A lady much older than me came across and aided me, giving me words of reassurance , I thanked her and set off home vowing never to sit in public again for that long.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Can honestly state that despite a couple of major health 'set backs' have never felt old,,,Smoked,Drank, and chased many unhealthy lifestyles,,but never seemed to affect how old i felt....

Kept myself fit without going over the top,,,i believe you will feel old if you become insular........Loved all my work which ended two years ago at 73 (despite kidding myself i would start again).....loved getting up in the morning with a real purpose in life,,whether that be chasing a shoplifter or having a meeting with a company's board of directors,,

Especially enjoyed,,what probably seem normal everyday things,,,Shower,,Shave,,choose your dress for the day,,,get in the car whilst the Birds were still singing and hit the road,,brilliant....

Now days i still get up early,,...shower and shave,,,then get dressed casual,,,my casual is not....sat about with no socks on in yesterdays T shirt or Dressing Gown.......its 'Thick Hiking Socks' Modern slim Tracksuit bottoms''with nice casual Cowboy Shirt'' the sort Brew wears for 'Blue Grass' Dancing    lol..........Then a 'Stroll' round the garden thinking of having a Cig with my Coffee,,,whils i chat with either of my Female neighbours,,,one will offer me a Cig and the

other will discuss her Garden,,,lovely the pair of em and only a bit older than myself...........Boring ain i?........but mostly i'll go  out later....either on me bike or for a nice breakfast ,(covid permitting,,) Plus wearing the right clothing......while i do the Aforementioned things,,i'll never feel old...........Missing my Spanish holidays and a good Dance.........will they ever return?...............while i still feel young(ish)

• Like 8
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Over here they call you, Hon'.  Would you prefer that?   :biggrin:

I dislike it when having said something you imagined was to the point some girl/women (sadly it usually is a woman) looks you up and down and says "Ahhh bless.........."

What does it mean??

1 hour ago, siddha said:

I dislike it when having said something you imagined was to the point some girl/women (sadly it usually is a woman) looks you up and down and says "Ahhh bless.........."

What does it mean??

I’m afraid it means they think you are one of the following:

quaint 

old fashioned

out of touch with the way things are

to be pitied

not saying anything that remotely interests them 

very slightly  amusing for an ‘old un’

just like a small child

But it’s not an openly offensive thing to say, so that’s OK ....

or is it?

In my experience, most people under 40 (and some over 40s) these days cannot string a sentence together without the use of 'like' at least once in an incorrect context. As soon as I hear that, I switch off and have no further interest in what they may be jabbering about.  :P

The one that really gets my goat is: "In real terms" - shorthand for we're going to do something you really won't like, not even a little bit...