Just watched the fireworks in London and about to end the eve in Camden, so before too much red wine and punk rock sends me do lally, can I say to Ian.......a lovely sincere post , have a peaceful year and enjoy the friends you have made ...... They are priceless xx

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I share Lizzies attitude of not running scared. And although I'm 82 next moth I do not feel old and vulnerable. I am out and about every day but wearing a mask when needed and I carry my own hand gel

Can honestly state that despite a couple of major health 'set backs' have never felt old,,,Smoked,Drank, and chased many unhealthy lifestyles,,but never seemed to affect how old i felt....      

Nice one young Ian,...........don't mean not mentioning our 'Katy' lol................can't follow that,you've been a real performer this last year..............so to you and everyone on the site (inc

Thanks Ian. That post is a new years gift of encouragement to all of us. The Bible says "Iron sharpens iron." You've helped sharpen us lot and hopefully your edge is now a little sharper too. Have a great year.

• Upvote 4

Lovely post Ian. I've only been here (this time around) for a few months but I also enjoy the diverse company and wealth of info on here.

Bit late with this, but happy new year to all.

Col

• Upvote 3
  • 4 years later...
27 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Wonder if pubs will shut @ ten? 

I suppose last  orders will have to be a bit after 9.30?   I expect everyone will just drink more quickly until they’ve completed their usual alcohol quota!

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

I suppose last  orders will have to be a bit after 9.30?   I expect everyone will just drink more quickly until they’ve completed their usual alcohol quota!

didn't that happen in New Zealand(or OZ?) when they shut at 6pm for a break? and there was a mad rush for the bars at 5:30?

and didn't the pubs shut at 10:30 here anyway?

I haven't been in a pub, shop or supermarket since March. Can't say I'm bereft

With due respect...i was .Charing cross, Stoke Newington, Shoreditch, last week..

Unless things improve..

We should have a nice reflective Christmas..free from commercial constraints..and a pub closed new year!!! True Victorian...

@HSR  ... a Victorian Christmas can only happen if there’s lots of snow, which is unlikely, no TV - again unlikely unless there’s a power cut, and we all go out Carol Singing (not allowed).   We might manage to see a. robin on a snowy fence, but it will be a sad time for many .people if they can’t meet their relatives.

But I still think we should all be content to make sacrifices for the sake of the elderly and/ or vulnerable... their lives are equally as precious as those of the younger generation.

• Like 1

I'm old and vulnerable myself..60 next month but have MS..only went to London because my daughter doesn't come to me...

The behaviour was a parallel existence.

.zero consideration..

If this results in a 'simple" Christmas then I would be happy..

• Like 1

HSR, 60 is not old, I can give you 17 years, or at least I could but I need them all now. Me and 'er indoors are now into our 192nd day of isolation, so it looks like a quiet Christmas for us.........again !

• Like 2

Yes we are the mature (old) and vulnerable but just read all the post and for give me, but lets go back. Quote a song? those were the days,   I loved New Year Eve, getting too many down you, dancing on the pub tables before being told off by somebody, wakeing up next day HUU! what did I do last night, (dementia set in)  phoning famiy on the other side of the world Hi it's NYE and just gone 12 00 what time is it there,    but there is one thing that I regret not doing, when living in South Afica a friend of mine came over to UK for Christmas and New Year,  I ask her if she had, had a good time, yes said she best time was New Years Eve at 12 00 i was in Trafalgar Square and we all jumped into the fountains, it was brill. Soooo in Nottingham we have fountains do you think at my age If on New Year i paddled in them I would be arested by the old bill?                                                         Maybe though not this year or even 2021/2022/2023 etc.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Beekay please don't be sad as we are all in the same boat, think of all your good times.                                                                                It's the younsters i feel for.

No way do I feel old and vulnerable, even though the powers that be keep trying to persuade me I am in THAT age group.  Just let me be, I’ll be careful and wear a mask when necessary but I refuse to be fearful.  I’m more concerned for my family ...... my grandchildren having their education disrupted this year ...... my sons who are trying their best to keep 100+ employed worldwide with severe restrictions on air travel.  This virus hasn’t affected us two a great deal, we don’t need to go out to work, so long as we can stock-pile enough toilet rolls we’ll be ok.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

HSR, 60 is not old, I can give you 17 years, or at least I could but I need them all now. Me and 'er indoors are now into our 192nd day of isolation, so it looks like a quiet Christmas for us.........again !

I used to collect football pools in the 80/90's .my opening banter after Christmas, was 'did you have a good Christmas?'

Nearly every replay was....'Quiet'..

;)

5 hours ago, oldphil said:

didn't that happen in New Zealand(or OZ?) when they shut at 6pm for a break?

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

In Australia. It was called the 6 o'clock swill!

Yes the 6 o'clock swill, it was brought in by laws that forced pubs to close at six pm during the first world war to improve public morality but had exactly the opposite effect. It was the time when most workers finished at the latest five o'clock and it brought on an hour long drinking session with many lining up three or four drinks in the last ten minutes of opening. It brought many changes in pubs including tiled walls for ease of cleaning by hosing them down, it made them look more like toilets than pubs. It finally came to an end in Australia and NZ in 1967 and many pubs took years to change the decor.