That reminds me of other use less things that people had ,eh eh eh Mick. Beetamax Video recorders for one thing

;)

And who was it that could only find one use for a microwave oven?.It wasn't cooking I won't tell any one the answer to that one Mick, we shall see if they can guess!!! and guess what the new( and dare I say very original) use was LOL

;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why can't a new TV come without a remote ? Not needed & would be cheaper without one, One's wife is perfectly able to adjust the desired sound level & switch TV channels accordingly !

The bread maker is great for mixing bread dough, they don't make the greatest loaf of bread, but they do save pain in arthritic wrists. Once the dough has been kneaded by the machine, drop into a larg

Madam has recently received an Amazon Alexa thing that tells you the weather etc, and answers every useless question imaginable. Yet another pathetic piece of equipment that makes us lazy. Totally unn

Posted Images

!tony!

Nope

But it was funny I don't think any one will guess

;)

Can't remember The Microwave thingy???

But the Video Recorder was not a Betamax...

Actually It was a Phillips 2000 video.

IM.0853_zl.jpg

http://www.makingthemodernworld.org.uk

Video 2000 offered several innovative features unmatched by the competing standards, VHS and Betamax:

All Video Compact Cassettes store video and audio on one side of the tape. The V2000 scans half the tape, and by flipping the tape it scans the other half of the tape, thus doubling playing time.

Because of its Dynamic Track Following (DTF) technology (involving an advanced, movable video head tip), V2000 did not require video tracking control. Note that a few V2000 models lacked DTF.

All V2000 VCRs sported an auto-rewind function (later matched by VHS and Betamax)

Superior dynamic noise (tape hiss) reduction

Inclusion of a data track alongside the video track

Thanks to DTF, V2000 was able to play both fields of the image in still frame mode, allowing full vertical resolution, whereas VHS and Betamax could only reproduce one field, giving only half of the normal vertical resolution. This was actually more an annoyance than an advantage, as for non-film material fields are spaced in time and displaying them together (without modern digital correction) causes flicker. A real advantage of DTF on many V2000 models was the ability to carry out picture search without mistracking lines across the screen, a feature which no domestic VHS or Betamax machine was ever able to completely match.

Significantly, Philips and Grundig, having agreed on a common tape format, came up with machines that were radically different mechanically. The first Grundig machine featured a Betamax-style loading ring to rotate the tape around the video heads, while Philips utilised an "M-wrap" similar to that used in VHS machines.

Not long before the end of Video 2000 production, Philips introduced a long-play cassette, the V2000 XL, with a capacity of eight hours per side. Philips also created a prototype of a more compact V2000 cassette (analogous to VHS-C) that was playable in existing units using a full-sized cassette adaptor, but Philips retired Video 2000 before the development was ready for market.

Though linear stereo sound was available on some models, Hifi sound was never marketed. Both VHS and Betamax offered HiFi stereo sound with near-CD sound quality by the mid 1980s.

Youve lost me with the Microwave Ian?

However thanks for reminding me about the philips 2000

I will look for one on eBay. I have some 2000 tapes to copy.

Didn't you say the only thing you used yours for was defrosting choc ices LOL

;)

You said not connected with food?

Yes I occassionally Defrost the ice cream even today

I hate cold hard ice cream.

Correction ,I said not to do with cooking

;)

Bing Crosby put a lot of money into the early development of video recording back in the 1950s.

He wanted a device that would allow his tv programme to be broadcast at a set time allowing for the USA's time zones.

Don't know about Bing and video but I do know that microwave ovens where discovered by accident and one of the pioneers accidentaly killed himself while standing too close to one of the prototypes ( by cooking his innerds)

;)

That reminds me of other use less things that people had ,eh eh eh Mick. Beetamax Video recorders for one thing

;)

And who was it that could only find one use for a microwave oven?.It wasn't cooking I won't tell any one the answer to that one Mick, we shall see if they can guess!!! and guess what the new( and dare I say very original) use was LOL

;)

There's pages and pages of fun on what to do with discarded micro waves, on the internet, most pretty dangerous too!

I prefer to strip them for their plate transformers, make great six metre amplifier power supplies, as they are rated 600 watts plus continuous, they can handle almost full US amateur legal limit, 1500watts.

Don't know about Bing and video but I do know that microwave ovens where discovered by accident and one of the pioneers accidentaly killed himself while standing too close to one of the prototypes ( by cooking his innerds)

;)

They were developing the magnatron vacuum tube, when the feller who was developing it had a bar of choccy melt in his top pocket, he realised a second use for micro wave technology besides radar.

Next on the useless things list The Ronco Buttoneer and that other Ronco instrament of torture that thing for making bottles into drinking glasses (Can't remember the name help) this was a great item cos it left a sharp edge and if you drank to tightly to the glass you ended up with a smile like the Joker in Batman

;)

Yes I occassionally Defrost the ice cream even today

I hate cold hard ice cream.

Hey Mick - are you related to me mum? She would put her ice cream in front of the living room fire 'cause she "didn't like it cowd"!

Crushed nuts?

;)

OUCH! :crazy: