Australian Notts player shows the way!

Any of you see this game?

HUSSEY THE MASTER HITS MIGHTY 275

09:00 - 25 May 2007

Although he would never admit it, there must be fleeting moments when David Hussey wishes he was not an Australian.

Sure, as a fierce patriot, he revels in the fact his country reign supreme in both Test and one-day cricket.

In fact, the 29-year-old was only too delighted to rib his Notts team-mates on returning to the UK in April after watching his brother Mike help the Aussies to a 5-0 whitewash of England.

But his Antipodean heritage does have one very obvious downside. If he were born in Plymouth or Peterborough, Hussey would be a shoo-in for international cricket with England.

But, because he was born in Perth, Western Australia, the nearest he is ever likely to get to representing his full national team are his appearances for the U-19 and 'A' teams.

That really is a crying shame, as anyone who had the privilege of witnessing his magnificent innings at Trent Bridge yesterday will testify.

Hussey simply tore the Essex attack apart on the way to a career-best score of 275, in a boundary blitz that left the visitors almost visibly, and certainly metaphorically, on their knees.

One thing I do miss, being over here, is my occasional trip to Trent Bridge .

Not a big lover of county cricket but I do love the one dayers and the 20 - 20 stuff and it's great to see Nott'm doing well again this season (so far)

;)

Do not taketh th mock BIP old bean I could very easily have been a Panthers fan but I could never get a ticket (In the early 80s) so gave up and continued with just footy and cricket (Popping out to the pub shortly to watch Derby /West Brom in the play off finals)

;)

Rather liked the famous quote from legendary Sports writer Hugh Mcillvenay:

"Attending an Ice Hockey match is like watching water freeze..."

Cheers

Robt P.

I was only pulling ya leg oxo....have a pint for me will you?

thanks rob for the quote...will remember that the next time a player goes off with concussion.

Bip.

IIRC, Les Strongman sustained one of the the worst head injuries in the game's history....

Perhaps Craig could confirm?

Cheers

Robt P.

Les Strongman ran a newsagents opposite the ice stadium for donkeys years. Another quote regarding this "I went to a fight once and an ice hockey match broke out"

;)

Who was that other famous player from that era BIP? Some thing like Chick Zaneck?

;)

That's him.....he owned a dry cleaners on Alfreton road across from where I worked for several years. [John Player & Sons]

below a photo of Les Strongman.

les.jpg

Chick Zamicks real name is Victor Zamick, not many know that. Not only did he have a dry cleaners he also had interests in a Squash Club.

Also another Zamick played for Panthers albeit for one season a Joe Zamick.

Bip

7d64_1_b.jpg

Found this picture of the Panthers....Chick Zamick is on the front row first from the left with the A on his chest denoting he's assistant captain and Les Strongman is on the back row third in from the left denoting he was captain.

It's not unusual to have two assistants in ice hockey as there are in this picture.

Note in those days there was only one net minder and only eleven out players not like it is now, most teams these days have twenty or so out players and two net minders.

Bip. :Friends:

coupe_suisseG.jpg

Heres another picture but not of Panthers but a Swiss team called the Geneva Servette [Eagles] taken in the season 1958/59 one of the players in the picture is Chick Zamick can someone point him out because I'm struggling to.

Bip. :Friends:

one of the players in the picture is Chick Zamick can someone point him out because I'm struggling to.

Certain he is extreme left, front row.....

Cheers

Robt P.