First Computers Manufactured In Nottingham

Posted on Dec 17 2004, 11:36 PM

Well that did not take long 

Thanks Brian.

:D Well don't i get a go then :o Bl@@dy hell Brian that was quick are you on Broardband :D :D :D :D

post-29-1103327175_thumb.gif

:D Powers-Samas Card Punch

Powers-Samas Ltd., United Kingdom

Following business disagreements with Herman Hollerith, the US Census Bureau hired engineer James Powers to build punched card equipment for the 1910 census. Remington Rand acquired Powers’ company in 1924 and competed directly with IBM, Hollerith’s successor company.

In the United Kingdom, Powers-Samas equipment was known commonly by the nickname “Acc and Tab,” an abbreviation for Accounting and Tabulating. It captured about fifty percent of the British market against their primary rival, British Tabulating Machine Company (BTM), which was licensed to provide IBM products.

post-29-1103504944_thumb.jpg

We could do with some images posting, so visitors from abroad

know what were talking about?

Sorry Mick2me I still dont know what you're talking about ;)

• 4 weeks later...

When I left school I went to work at the Co-op in the check office on Chaucer st we used to do the divi(remember that) and it was all done on Powers machines .punch card,sorters and tabulaters.Then I went to work at the naafi and we used Hollerith machines there.I've also used IBM. I could blind you with science about it all ;)

• 11 years later...

Decades ago i read a SF book about a space exploration that went wrong when the computer failed. They eventually got home by making several abacus boards and working as a team, they were able to compute and plot a successful course. So maybe the centuries old abacus was the first computer?.

The first computer I worked on was an ICL 1903A at Plessey at Beeston. It had 32k of main memory (that's 32k not 32M or 32Gig) and when the executive program had been loaded in from paper tape it only had 28k of memory for programs to run. Disc drives were huge and took two hands to carry them safely and stored 8 meg each.

The last time I saw one was in the Science Museum in London!

What year and department would that be Bing?

• 2 weeks later...

M Block, I worked in there from 65-68 , and again from 85-95. All gone now. Flattened to make a car park.

• 2 weeks later...