B) Hi Everyone

Does anyone out there have any photos of the round-house or some call it the gate-house, it use to stand along side of the river trent over the fairham brook. I have two photots and thats all.

It was pulled down in the early 60's people use to have teas there, having walked through the grove.

also can anyone remember the big house that use to stand along the fairham brook just before the trent, and has anyone got photos of that, or know of any web sites.

Jessie

• 1 month later...

Ayup Jessie,

I remember that house it was on the right side of the road and just before the brooke as you were coming from Nottingham, I don't have any pics of it but I can remember it being flooded in the early 60s. the cycle track was the only bit that was'nt covered with water,

Cheers

Rog

Hi Everyone

Does anyone out there have any photos of the round-house or some call it the gate-house, it use to stand along side of the river trent over the fairham brook.....

"...The round house was a picturesque little semi-circular castle, complete with battlements that stood on the East bank of the Trent - near the Fairham Brook. It was surrounded by apple trees, gooseberry bushes and raspberry canes. It served as a focal point for picnics and playing children. The locals generally believed it to be an old lodge used by the Clifton Family in the old days. It's more likely to have been the gate house to the entrance of Clifton Grove. On summer weekends, people would buy a tea of eggs, bread, butter and fruit and eat in the Round House grounds. Local boys would dam up part of the nearby brook to create a swimming pool. Others would fish among the shallows. Wilford Round House was demolished in the 1960's. (Information extracted from the excellent Wilford and Clifton web-site)..."

FW Stevenson, 1931 @ picture the past. org

post-29-1185043106_thumb.jpg