Which Regiment ?

The Image is from an official site. I guess its an artists interpretation of a photograph?

Look at the Jack Russel chasing the parade?

I have a gut feeling that the bobby on the left is Pc Dennis "Tug" Wilson

His profile is unmistakable? Being top man on the square at that time, he would have been in pole position at any such event.

As much a part of the Old Market Square as the Lions, Tug Wilson was perhaps one of the most well known and certainly most-photographed officers of Nottingham Central. An ex-Grenadier Guardsman, Dennis was one of the pall-bearers at the funeral of King George VI. At 7 feet tall in his helmet, Dennis retired in 1983.

Courtesy of www.nottscops.com

001.jpg

Yes.

Me and a mate were taken in there as lads and questioned! :o

We ad'nt done note neither. And still me only police record is "Walking on the moon" :D

Seeing the old photo of Dennis "Tug" Wilson" reminded me of one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed.

Not surprisingly the Wilson family were/are all very tall. His daughter, Sherry, even at the age of 11, had the nickname lamppost and their son was even taller.

So imagine my amazement when I saw them all packed into the Wilson family car one day.

A MINI :blink:

Thank you for that Bamber, I can just visualize the sight now :lol:

Tug was the gentleman copper. I think when he retired he went to work for one of the banks on the square. I have not heard any updates on Tug for many years?

Sadly, Tug died quite a few years ago.

We could do with his like in Nottingham City Centre now. Instead we get a motley selection of Neighbourhood Wardens and WPcs: no substitute for a copper who is still as well known as he was 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this post, probably due to being busy over Christmas.

Very Sad indeed :( , but much time has passed since I last saw him.

He was indeed a great man. I wonder if there is any monument to him?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Regiment marching past the council house is 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery, I know I am in the picture, I am sat at the back of the landrover which is to the right of the lead landrover. The regiment was receiving the freedom of the city of Nottingham, as it did most of its recruiting in Nottingham. The CO was Lt Col Martin Farndale. It was a very proud day for myself and the Nottingham lads of the Regiment. The picture is a copy of the official painting by Terence Cuneo.

Thank You 24067582 Gnr Askew, 1st Regiment RHA 1965 - 1972. unionflag

Thanks For that Permberton, And what an honour that must been to be part of that parade.

This must have been taken from a photograph for its accuracy. I wonder if the jack russell is an artists hallmark?

• 4 years later...

1 RHA did the march past again back in '79 (I think), I got collered in this one myself, just had my first child and rather than leave them up Yorkshire, I got permission to come down in my car and do the marshalling at the goose fair site, one hellava a line up with all eighteen guns, tractors and land rovers there

The Regiment had just got their new guns and Foden trucks to tow them with

The first parade was also 1RHA, the thing is the South Notts Hussars back then only had 25 pounders, as it was operating as an OP battery, and unusual role as their function was to supply an extra op teams, and the guns were secondary, I was in the army cadets back then and the South Notts used to use older cadets to supplement their gun crews