red lion cinderhill

as promised, more pubs in danger i used to be a regular here in the early to mid 90's for most of that time it was run by leroy and steph, who left to take over the boulevard pub in radford in about 1996 ish. i was a member of the quiz team for a while (about six months i think) probably the maddest thing that happened there was when they had bungee jumping in the car park, i myself was catapulted upwards on this thingand vividly remember seeing the roof of the pub between my feet. leroy then had the video running on the pubs tvs for the rest of that week. i looked like a big spider bouncing on its web!

the sign says acquired for clients so it looks like either its opening again as a pub or more likely another little bunch of houses, anywhere close to the trams seems fair game for this now

PUBSINDANGER014.jpg

PUBSINDANGER015.jpg

PUBSINDANGER016.jpg

PUBSINDANGER017.jpg

PUBSINDANGER018.jpg

I see someone has had a go at getting the lead off!

Interesting design, reminds me of the old cinemas built around that period.

PUBSINDANGER014.jpg

This building should have a Presservation Order slapped on it?

Thanks for the pics.....

Nevertheless, somewhat sad for me, as I was a 60's semi-regular.

Was always a pleasant friendly place.

Built in the pre-war 30's art deco style which, as you say Mick, emulated so many cinemas. Rarer design in pubs as so many were built around the turn of the century...

Reckon the 'Beacon' on Aspley Lane and the 'Cocked Hat' on Broxtowe Lane were similar, as they were built to serve the adjacent Council estates during that era.

Cheers

Robt P.

I played pool there circa 1980 (or should I say should have played pool there)I always got drawn away in Shippos singles and the opposition never turned up Was it the Colliers arms just up the road towards Kimberley (got drawn there twice) it's a long hike from Carlton when you have no wheels!!!!

;)

Was it the Colliers arms just up the road towards Kimberley (got drawn there twice)....

Yes just on the bend by the pit...Colliers Arms it was....straight out of a DH Lawrence novel....

Cheers

Robt P.

and what was the best thing about the colliers?

because it was outside the city boundary (just!) it was allowed to stay open till 11.00 pm

see last orders in the headstocks, then dash round the corner for another last orders!

We had similar in Carlton vis a vis the pub crawl up from the Pretty windows .Catch the bus down and a half in every pub on the way back The lamp ,Mad house ,topless barmaids in the Chesterfield Arms ,March hare etc just in time to catch last orders in The Coopers arms via The Jubilee (another that has closed down)then on the bus to the Nags Head (yet another one bites the dust) in time for last orders there!!

I think we went down the bottoms as it is called a few times didn't we Mick?

;)

and what was the best thing about the colliers?

because it was outside the city boundary (just!) it was allowed to stay open till 11.00 pm

see last orders in the headstocks, then dash round the corner for another last orders!

Yes, just in the county as you say...

The boundary being at Cinderhill roundabout, where the NCT 41 trackless turned around...

Other city boundary markers were quite prominent.

One at the Bone Mill, where the 44 trackless turned.

Ditto at Trent Bridge...and at Carlton ?

NCT always defined their city routes as 'catchment areas'.

Cheers

Robt P.

The City boundary towards Carlton was or still is near the old petrol station at the junction of Carlton road /Carlton hill /and the big hill that drops down to the"new estate" is that Thorneywood Gardens?

;)

Never too sure where the exact Carlton boudary was, hence my ?

Also, they were marked as "protection points" - to indicate that non-NCT buses couldn't pick up passengers past there when en route to the city and vice versa on the way out.

Cheers

Robt P.

Also, they were marked as "protection points" - to indicate that non-NCT buses couldn't pick up passengers past there when en route to the city and vice versa on the way out.

Cheers

Robt P.

I didn't know that about buses ,is that anything to do with the Hackney carriage rules and regs !rulez! Some silly laws in there including the requirement to carry a bale of hay at all times

;)

Cheers

Robt P.

I know that Barton's busses from Long Eaton did not stop once inside the city, but when they left the old Mount Street bus station, they did make one stop on Derby Road to pick up passengers.

Yes indeed Eric....

Barton/Trent/MGO etc could pick up on the outward journey - but not drop off until they were beyond the boundary/'protection point'. IIRC, there were some agreed exceptions [usually because there was no duplication of service] one particular such case would be the unusual Barton 32 which ran from Bulwell to Mount Street via Bilborough, Bramcote, Chilwell and Beeston! A route which effectively travelled in and out of the city several times during its journey.

The famous MGO trackless to Ripley could only deposit passengers from Cinderhill roundabout onwards...the 'protected' service being the NCT 41.

Likewise Trent services to Hucknall etc...

Cheers

Robt P.

I remember when I went out with a girl from Chilwell (I lived in Carlton at the time) I used to get the 32? courtesy of Mr Barton and i do recall enjoying the bit when he got in close to the city and always got to put his foot down because he didn't have to stop

P.S. did you know old man Barton was Knighted in the war years for services to the war effort .He converted his buses to run on natural gas (I have a photo of one somewhere great big bag on the top full of gas mind if Tony Blair was on the inside then their would have been twice the power LOL)

found some pictures will post soon

;)

I remember some NCT services doing limited stop services where they wouldn't stop to drop off, only pick up passengers if there was another (shorter) service covering the same route like the old 39 / 72 service from Wollaton park to Carlton. The 39 turned round at Carlton sq and the 72 continued up Cavendish road to turn round at the top of Conningsworth rd.These where great when I worked at Raleigh cos I could get on a 72 bus ("Sometimes") after work and have it near enough to myself, no standing or owt!!! And I only lived 1 stop beyond Carlton Square LOL

;)

In the 70s NCT did have a couple of "official" limited stop services which ran at peak periods. There was the 49 from Bestwood Park to Trinity Square. The other was the 76 which ran from Top Valley to the Victoria Centre.

I must get out more ;)

Me too cos there was also the 25 to Arnold via Carlton Square ,Gedling road, Westdale lane, etc

;)

• 5 months later...