another one boarded up, in proximity to the tram route! i personally have only been in this pub a few times, and its another semi derelict one i've noticed on my travels

the outbuildings,(and i think the toilets are there too) seem to have been the victims of an arson attack

PUBSINDANGER008.jpg

PUBSINDANGER007.jpg

PUBSINDANGER005.jpg

Remember the other Clinton Arms on Shakespear street? (Strippers on a Friday lunch) We used to say we were going for a bit of Clinton dip LOL

;)

was that the place on the corner opposite the fire station? called russells in the 80's? i used to pop in there now and again because the landlord of the wheatsheaf bobbers mill (a fun pub in those days!) left the whartsheaf to run russels

Prior to it being Russels, The clinton arms was run by Chrissie Bliss, and featured strip shows. I remember Chrissie sitting on a chair near the door sticking her legs out to trip people up who walked in without paying.

Chrissie took over the pub bottom of carlton road, opposite the park (Duke of Newcastle?) where there were topless barmaids in the 90's

• Like 1
Prior to it being Russels, The clinton arms was run by Chrissie Bliss, and featured strip shows. I remember Chrissie sitting on a chair near the door sticking her legs out to trip people up who walked in without paying.

Chrissie took over the pub bottom of carlton road, opposite the park (Duke of Newcastle?) where there were topless barmaids in the 90's

as mentioned else where by yours truely I think it was the Earl of Chesterfeild Arms

;)

Shouldn't it have been renamed the 'Countess of Chesterfield's Chest'? :Shock:

Recall reading an item by a girl working as a topless barmaid saying that mens body language became quite strange when being served at the bar. She said that they always looked her straight in the eye with a rigid stare, being determined not to look downward.

She found it quite refreshing after the leering she encountered whilst fully clothed!

Cheers

Robt P.

Wasn't the pub with topless barstaff The Duke of Cambridge; on the corner of Clarence Street and Carlton Road?

That sounds more like it Bamber I was mixing it up with The Earl of Chesterfield (The Bruno) over in Carlton

;)

• 6 months later...

I went there with Micky one Sunday lunchtime - Micky came out blind drunk. Well drunk and blind - one of the strippers bent over him (he always had a way with women) but nearly poked his eys out with her hat-pegs!

• 2 weeks later...

In the late seventies I used to study at Trent Polytechnic. One of my rooms was diagonally opposite The Clinton Arms and our last class on a Friday morning was always in this room. I and other students perfected the technique of climbing out of the window and running over the grass for a Friday night session. This was whilst the class was still on (albeit with a particularly dopey lecturer who didn't notice his class thinning very gradually as lunchtime approached.

The most memorable time I recall in there was once when I went there for a pint alone one Friday lunch. An amateur football team from Wales were having a knees-up in there. None other than Ian Rush the Liverpool footballer was there with his mates 'on tour'. Rush had been playing for the Pool for a couple of years and was top scorer in the old first division for the past season. There was this huge football star - up on the little stage at The Clinton doing his version of 'Old MacDonald Had a Farm' for this mates!

• 1 year later...

Only went in once...Never could understand this male thing of wanting to leer at womens knockers in a pub like a bunch of schoolboys...My idea of being entertained by a partly clothed female is on my own in a romantic setting...not in the company of a couple of hundred drunks.

No wonder these girls look down on men as an inferior species.Good luck to the lap dancers,I hope they take the idiots for every cent they can get.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

I KNEW Chrissie,a very formidable lady,.........she offered my wife £11 per hour back in 86 to be barmaid at the 'Duke' she declined the offer,i was a bit upset as we were skint at the time........ :biggrin:

Also remember the strippers and the topless barmaids one of whom was old enough to be my Grandmother (this was in 1972), The best stripper was Gypsy Rose Lee, not that I was a regular..................

DO you remember Sharon the Tassle dancer?...a very good friend of mine.............happy days,

Sorry to put a damper on things, but the beer was cr4p, the place was a dump and the women all old bags.

I'm not being snobby, but not my cup of tea.

IF YOU'RE talking about the Duke' yes the pub was'nt the best,but i can assure you the women were not old bags.

Clinton Arms I was on about. Sorry.

The ones I saw in the early 70's certainly were. LOL

I'm afraid my tastes are somewhat higher.

Never mind, each to their own.

I remember when I was on the milk rounds going into the Old General on Radford Road to collect the money one dinner time and there was a stripper on. Was my face red.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...