Last night at close down, a windows update started, I left it running, and allow itself to complete the update and close itself down.

Medion Laptop will not boot

This morning I started the laptop, it stopped on the "Windows is starting" page

After waiting for some time, I pressed and held the off button to switch off, then restarted the computer.

On start up it got to the XP logo, progress bar, then a bluescreen message displayed very briefly, then it went to the page giving choices of start windows normally/safemode/last working configuration.

Whichever one you try returns you to that choice option page? Safe mode etc

Have tried booting with system CD it checks systems and loads files,then chooosing 'repair' option, it returns to c: prompt saying 'type exit to return to windows' The the process of returning to choice menu for Safe mode etc. loops again as above

It's obviously corrupted the OS. You could always put the cd in and then go into the bios and tell it to start from the cd drive first. Then just select Repair rather than install new.

My son had a sililar problem on his laptop so I used the win98 start up disk to delete Windows entirely from the HD and then just re installed windows.

Sounds like a corrupted windows installation , or the hard drive has failed !!!!

Boot it off of your windows disk just far enough to see if setup finds the drive.....if so then a repair install should be possible. if not the drive is probably dead.