You cant beat a bottle of good malt and I think it is good where children go out of their way acknowledge their fathers and especially their mothers on their special day. As for tat that is in the eye of the beholder , its the thought that counts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First Father's Day without me Dad & me oldest daughter turns up I'm gonna be a Grandad 

had a visitor yesterday, my son came, as pals on here know not seen him for over 35 years, bought me my first ever Fathers Day card, absolutely thrilled to bits, j;ust a card but means the world, Fo

Remembering my dad today - although I wasn't even a twinkle in his eye when this photo was taken!

We now have male maternity wards in this world..all for diversity me!

4 hours ago, IAN123. said:

We now have male maternity wards in this world..all for diversity me!

Certainly. Let blokes have the babies...and everything else that goes with it. They can have my share and welcome! :rolleyes:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

One of these days there's going to be an unholy shakeup. I wouldn't try to predict quite how it will happen but it will.  Civilizations have broken up before.  Roman Empire?  Any country can only take so much politically correct nonesense.

I shall be living in a hermitage with  many moggies. The world can get on with its crazy ideas. I don't want to know! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

We now have male maternity wards in this world..all for diversity me!

Certainly. Let blokes have the babies...

Can't fault you Jill,, world population would collapse.....blokes are'nt HARD enough to have babies,,  i feinted at the birth of one of mine,, needed Gas and Air..............

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Commo said:

Loppy, I can envisage how Western civilisation and culture will disintegrate but for the sake of harmony and the boycott of political discussion on the Forum I will say no more.

I'm with you Commo.  I avoided going any further with it for the same reasons.

• 1 year later...

Good for you, excellent news to temper what could have been a melancholy day. Congratulations.

• 1 year later...

We’ve just had a wonderful couple of hours with our two sons who came for Fathers Day lunch.  One lives in Milton Keynes and the other in Tring, Herts.  They travelled up together to surprise their Dad. I had to tell porkies and say some friends were probably popping round for a bit of social distancing this afternoon so it would be best if we had our Sunday roast early to get our meal out of the way.  Luckily Dad kept out of the kitchen as I prepared double quantities of veg etc.   The look on his face when they strolled in was lovely, he had absolutely no idea they were coming.  They only stayed a couple of hours, enough time to have a relaxed Sunday lunch though.  Have to admit, there was no ‘social distancing’ today ...... I enjoyed hugging those two boys, it’s been such a long time since just the four of us were together and I miss them a lot, living so far away.  

• Like 5

Sounds good,  Lizzie.  A lovely surprise for your other half and great for you, too.   We had one of our boys and his wife over yesterday, along with our daughter who was staying with us for a few days.  (Photo on Fb) Sat out in the garden chatting for several hours.   We haven't seen them since February.    Our other son is coming round later today with his family.  He's only up the road so we' see them 2 or 3 times a week anyway.

• Upvote 1

Remembering my dad today - although I wasn't even a twinkle in his eye when this photo was taken!IMG-3974.jpg

• Like 6

It may sound awful but we never bothered with Father's Day. In fact, I don't even remember hearing about it when I was a child. I think it's an American invention, isn't it? Rather like their Mother's Day...and the woman who instigated that lived to regret it.

We always gave my mum a card and a gift on Mothering Sunday and we had to be careful to refer to it as such. As children, we went to church in the afternoon on Mothering Sunday and mum came too.  All mothers were given a posy of flowers.

Among the gifts I gave her when I was a child were a mixing bowl and a washing basket. Bet she just loved those!!

In my father's case, it was his day every day!

• Like 1

It's not awful Jill, I tend to agree with you. We tend to follow America with nearly everything. Halloween for example. It's also amazing how a lot of people have adopted a mid Atlantic accent, ya know what I  mean man,dude etc. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking the yanks, each to his own.

MD I suppose all those years ago, as long as the plane did what it was supposed to do, its appearance didn't matter too much.  My dad was in the RAF and didn't much like being sent to work on an aircraft carrier.  I remember his saying that if he wanted to be on a boat, he'd have joined the Navy. 

Were the planes lighter than those nowadays?  Is that why the propeller didn't need to be as big?  I've no idea about such things but just wondered...

Dad said the pilots were Royal Navy.   He was part of the RAF maintenance crew on board the aircraft carrier

Like Jill, we don’t make a big deal of birthdays, Fathers Day and Mothering Sunday and couldn’t care less if even a card doesn’t arrive from the boys.  However on birthdays that have a zero we make an effort.  A few years ago, when Roger was 70, he decided he wanted to rent a villa on Harbour Island in the Bahamas and invite his brother and wife from Victoria BC and his sister and her husband who live in Surrey.  All that was arranged and then our lads decided they wanted to be there too, along with the brother’s 2 daughters, one living in Toronto and one living in Costa Rica.  Somehow I managed to book (and pay for!) a villa up the road from where we were going to stay, without Roger knowing anything about it.  I do the banking in this house, he trusts me, and never looks at statements!! 
The original 6 of us arrived on Harbour Island via plane and ferry, were met on the dock by a concierge chap who walked us to our villa.  I’d been in text contact with our kids and they were hiding in our accommodation when we arrived. None of the others knew anything!  They jumped out from behind sofas to surprise us as we walked in.  I thought afterwards that Roger could have had a heart attack with the shock of it.  So instead of 6 of us on Harbour Island for a week there were 13.   Absolutely brilliant and a trip we talk about regularly. 

• Like 4

Lovely story Lizzie and almost one that relates to us. Alex has always surprised me on my birthdays in one way or another  but as you said we celebrate "0" birthdays. My 50 th ( in November) , Alex decided we could go for a walk around Alba, so off we toddled calling into a couple of bars for a hot drink. It was freezing cold. I was ready to go back home but he kept saying that he wanted to show me something in a shop or just to see whatever in a certain place. I got colder and colder and said that if he didn't take me back I'd walk back. We got back and the house was in darkness in spite of son and daughter being home. Walked in still darkness when everyone popped out and wished me happy birthday. There were no cars at the front and where we lived we could get round the back of the house and no one would know it was so secluded. There in the kitchen was the biggest feast. Everyone had chipped in and prepared something but a couple of s.i.l.s wanted to cook at the house so it was fresh. The gas bottle had run out of gas ( we didn't have mains gas there) so all panic to buy another bottle in case we came home too soon. The electricity went off as it used to do so regularly.Anyway it ended up being a lovely surprise birthday. My 60th was a little different. By then my daughter had her restaurant and my mum was here on holiday. Alex said his brother was coming to join us for lunch. Ok I said but seeing Giorgio is always late we can go down a bit later. Alex wasn't too pleased but said ok. We were ready to go out when he said take the camera with you. Why? I couldn't see why but I did. Well we arrived at the restaurant and as I imagined his brother hadn't arrived. After a remark I made all "hell" let loose , cheering, laughing, clapping etc. All the family were there all 30 odd of them but the highlight came from behind a screen my son and pregnant daughter in law came out. So what did I do? I burst into tears.

So that was so unexpected but lovely.

My 70 th I arranged it myself so no unexpected surprises. Over the years Alex has excelled himself in surprises, like sitting at lunch time talking about his mum when he said "come on pack a couple of cases" We got into the car drove to Dover , arrived in Calais and drove onto Italy. This time he surprised his mum. I could go on about unexpected holidays he's given us but there are too many.

• Like 3