Another Pub _ Open All Hours?

Within Living memory.

It was open 24 hours, Might still be to this day? (Is It?)

It was within reasonable driving distance from the city?

Where is it and Why did (does) it stay open?

There might be a second answer to this one!

I think I know who will get this one?

(Easy now let the others try first)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Confirmed today Fox & Grapes / Peggers on Sneinton Market will soon be a Castle Rock pub .... Harvest Pale it is then?

The Cattle market should be charcoal by now? Prime land for posh flats.     Reports this his could be the biggest fire ever in Nottingham? Hope Notts have watered the pitch?   

I seem to remember the News House was it near there?

Posted Images

Has it got anything to do with Sneinton market? I know there was a pub there that used to be open very early in the morning if not 24 hrs a day.

The Fox and Grapes, aka The Pretty Windows, used to open very early in the morning to provide refreshments for those working in Sneinton's wholesale fruit and vegetable market.

The Pretty Windows hit the headlines in the 1960s when it was the scene of an as yet still unsolved murder. The City Police believed that locals knew who the perpetrator was but were met by a wall of silence.

Now known as Peggers the pub opens at more usual hours since the wholesale market moved to Meadow Lane a few years ago.

Aha :lol:

Bamber came in and answered it, just as I put in that reply! :D

Someone tell us more about the pretty windows Murder! :huh:

(Thanks for reminding about this crime)

Anyone know why it was called "Pretty Windows"?

Anyone know the answer to the original question?

The Pretty Windows was so known simply because the pub has a large expanse of windows. I don't know why this nickname has fallen out of common useage in Nottingham.

The Pretty Windows murder goes back to 1963 when the then landlord, George Wilson, was brutally stabbed to death. To this day the police know neither the identity of the perpetrator or even a possible reason for the crime.

Thanks Bamber.

Perhaps part of the nickname was attributed to the 'Designer Curtains'

or varied clientel that could be seen through the windows :D

There's was also the Seven oaks public house situated amongst the Stanton ironworks at Ilkeston.. it was allowed to keep open 24 hours to cater for the furnacemen who had to work in the seering heat.. :P

the offshoot being that many other employees would also partake of this wonderful opportunity to imbibe.. irrespective whether there was work to be done or not! :P

it had the effect of consolodating the workers though, as a foreman would always guess where part of his missing workforce might be, and a runner would often be despatched to reclaim them.. :angry:

this was of course prior to the Thatcher years, before the word 'efficiency' had been discovered.. nowadays its the investor who holds the whip hand and calls the tune, ever thankful to Maggie and that magic word! :P

whether or not its a 24 hour pub today, I don't know.. my guess is .. not!

ilko..

I knew Ilko would get this one, being a local lad.

Yes that is quite correct. A bit of interesting information too Ilko. :D

I am told if you wanted to drink out of hours you had to put up with sitting next

to furnacemen spitting into spitoons! No doubt spitting out the furnace clinkers! :o

(Also before the words 'Health & Safety' and 'PPE' had been discovered!) <_<

I was working the Ilkeston area on Boxing day, and drove past the establishment.

Unfortunately, I did not have my digital camera to get a picture. But I will get one.

In this position, this pub can't be long for this world, surely? :huh:

I seem to remember a few years back that they were going to allow pubs to open all hours just like they do abroad, and we'd all be sipping pimms at two in the morning etc.. and I'm sure I recall one or two pubs doing it, or at least extending their hours.. what happened to all that? <_<

ilko..

yes a popular meeting place was the furnaces.. especially when you'd just come from nottm on your motorbike in winter.. the excrutiating enjoyment of the hotaches as your hands began to thaw was an event not to be missed.. but at least it was compensated for by the lashings of hot buttered toast afterwards..

summertime was a bit different though, it was all too much..

and if you happened to look in the furnace to see what was coming out next

you ended up with no eyebrows! :ph34r:

ilko..

• 3 weeks later...

B) My wifes sisters husband use to work their, he took me around many years ago where they spun the metal pipes, it was fasinating how they made them, what sticks in my mind above everything else is the heat that came from the hot molten metal and the pipes as they were cooling down.. :o

post-29-1105714971_thumb.jpg

ah the casting shop!

wasn't one of my favourite all time places to visit.. there would often be a 'flyout' whereby a core would burst in the machine spewing molten metal throughout the plant, the operators would hide behind beams etc till the onslaught had finished.. and it was my job to walk through this plant on various occasions.. great!

I remember one occasion an object landing on my head, on feeling what is was, it transpired my hair was on fire!

needless to say I kept away as much as I could, but there were many that loved the job.. I reckon it were a 'macho' thing!

ilko..

Within Living memory.

It was open 24 hours, Might still be to this day? (Is It?)

It was within reasonable driving distance from the city?

Where is it and Why did (does) it stay open?

There might be a second answer to this one!

The other pub that kept distictly odd hours was the one in the Cattle Market which did (and for all I know may still) open at some ungodly hour in the morning and closed aropund lunchtime 'cos the farmers had all gone home by then!

I'm fairly certain it didn't open in the evening..............

• 3 months later...
bamber Posted: Dec 23 2004, 02:42 PM 

The Pretty Windows was so known simply because the pub has a large expanse of windows. I don't know why this nickname has fallen out of common useage in Nottingham.

:D Just to bring you up to date, past bye there the other week and noticed it was closed, for what ever reason. Did notice thou that a lot of the young ones, Gothics and the likes were using the place..Mybe the police have shut it..Drugs...?

The Windows has been closed for at least a month. Could well be another victim of the declining pub trade. Town is chocka with pubs up for sale, eg: Steve Greatorex has got the Golden Fleece on the market :(

Hi Bamber

You mention Steve Greatorex,would he be related to Richard??

• 5 months later...

Peggers is now closed, I remember foing to the pub at 6 am from the night shift when finished work at Central PS there was us, postmen down and outs but none from the market, used to be a very busy pub when the wrestling was live from Victoria Baths, the back room had all photos,

The murder is still current there was an artical in the Evening Psot a few weeks ago by Ex Ch Supt Bowley.

Peggers is now closed, I remember foing to the pub at 6 am from the night shift when finished work at Central PS there was us, postmen down and outs but none from the market, used to be a very busy pub when the wrestling was live from Victoria Baths, the back room had all photos,

The murder is still current there was an artical in the Evening Psot a few weeks ago by Ex Ch Supt Bowley.

I remember 'The Pretty windows Murder' in the 60's.

I was a kid living in Radford at the time.

Canning Circus Police station was a Wooden Hut on the land between Derby Road and Ilkeston Road, (outside the Derby Road Newsagents, which I know you remember well Bryce).

We got told off by a Copper for roling down the slope at the back of the sorting office Ilkeston road side. No doubt some oldg git from the flats opposite had grassed us up to the CC police!

I didn't Know Alf Bowley was on the 'PW' case?

Is Alf still going?

• 11 months later...