Another Pub _ Open All Hours?

Thanks to all member's for jogging my memory about the local pubs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Confirmed today Fox & Grapes / Peggers on Sneinton Market will soon be a Castle Rock pub .... Harvest Pale it is then?

The Cattle market should be charcoal by now? Prime land for posh flats.     Reports this his could be the biggest fire ever in Nottingham? Hope Notts have watered the pitch?   

I seem to remember the News House was it near there?

Posted Images

The News House. One of the worst beers in Nottingham. Home Ales I think. I seem to remember that they sold Irish cigarettes there. Sweet Afton I believe.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:57 AM, radfordred said:

The Imperial was further up St.James Street it was recently called Bla Bla Bla same lay out.

What is now the Roebuck used to have rolls & rolls of carpet stacked outside late 70s early 80s. 

Remember the rolls of  carpet also..there was also a period with stalls selling tie dye t-shirts, & head shop paraphernalia about 1986.

On 24 April 2019 at 7:26 AM, mary1947 said:

A little Pub Quiz about a few Nottingham and Nottinghamshire  Pubs

!/   Name the Pub now that it has bungalows built on the car/park/ground  at Underwood, before it was  Ma Hubbards what was it called?

2/  What did the Dog and Quail at Underwood used to be called? 

3/ Roebuck where all good nottstalgian's  used to meet what was it called before it came the Roebuck?

Now this is one i can not recall the name off 

The Pub was know as The White House it was at Bulwell as I recall it was the M1 side 

Come on then Mary put us all out of our misery, give us the answers to your questions? 

Did anyone get any right? Or wrong? :rotfl:

The Pianoman  was correct The Dog and Quail  used to be The Sandhills

Ma' Hubbards use to be Brick 'n Tile Fly 2 

And there is no need to tell you about The Imperial 

:yahoo:

• 7 months later...

What was the name of the pub on the road from Ilkeston to Stanton possibly went to the iron works it was on a steep winding road and the car park was above the pub you had to go down quite a few steps to get in the pub it was along time ago 1964 played darts there.

I lived in Brinsley for some years but don't remember The Black Horse.  There was a pub called The Yew Tree on Cordy Lane. Now closed.  There was The White Lion on Hall Lane. Still there. Brinsley Lodge, also still there.

I believe that, during the days when the pit was in operation, there were many pubs in the village. Most closed when the pit did.

There used to be a pub on the right hand side coming from Eastwood just before Brinsley, had a bit of a layby in front of it tho' I suspect originally the road went right past the front door.

Don't know it's name

It was up for sale for redevelopment around 12 - 15years ago, one of my Son's looked at buying it, but found a better deal elsewhere.

Whoever bought it demolished it and rebuilt a house on roughly the same footprint.

The other new house closer to Eastwood was built later.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brinsley,+Nottingham/@53.0300074,-1.3090236,127a,35y,14.86h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487993527a482535:0xb2978837da1db821!8m2!3d53.033855!4d-1.312842

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0308931,-1.30873,3a,75y,37.52h,97.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sanOpU1zXlxBw4EKnCN7OUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Forget all that, it was the NEW INN;

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/nottinghamshire/brinsley_newinn.html

I remember that building and knew a local chap who would now be in his 90s who was born there.

The buildings in that area gave the appearance of leaning backwards, possibly due to subsidence. I noted a while ago that they had been demolished and the sites rebuilt.

There was also The Robin Hood on Hall Lane which is now, apparently, a private dwelling. 

It looked like it had been empty a while when we looked around it.

Son / Daughter in law wanted to keep the old building and convert it to a house, I think it had planning for 2 semi's but it's only got a single dwelling on it.

They ended up buying an old farm in Northumberland instead.

I think when i went by this building on the bus to school it was a small co.op or small grocery shop,a friend of from school Roger Taylor whose family had a farm there i would help them with the harvest.The Yew Tree is on the main road heading towards Underwood the Black Horse if my old brain is still working ok is at the far end of Cordy Lane heading towards Underwood Hill but like you say its closed down just like the pits.

The Yew Tree on Cordy Lane went to an Indian Restaurant never did take off, i think it now back tp being a house, Underwood was at one time Brick n Tile then Ma Hubbards now pulled down and oap bungalows.