Why Did You Decide To Live Overseas?

I know a lot of you may have gone with parents,but if not, why did you leave the UK, do you ever regret leaving & what do you like about it?

Caz in Oz B)

• 2 weeks later...

Come on expats where are you?? Maybe you are away on vacation?? Would be interested to hear you're stories. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
mick2me  Posted: Dec 21 2004, 07:23 AM

I moved to Sawley because the houses were cheaper than Attenborough! 

I am not quite across the Trent! 

B) But if it floods you will get your feet wet :rolleyes:

:ph34r: I moved to Chilwell from Hucknall because i needed a four bedroomed house for my expanding family, anyway Hucknall at that time was a mucky place to live especially if you lived like i lived next to the pit, besides Chilwell was at that time a more posher place, not so now thou..... :ph34r: Now i'm living in a house which is to big for us, i would like to move but the wife and i have different opinions on what type of Bungalow we would like, she likes the new style of bungalow and i like the more traditional style so it's stale mate at the moment and i'm not giving in so there. I have suggested we moved abroard but she will not have it.. so here i stay for the time being.... :(

post-34-1105313818_thumb.jpg

Last night we watched a doco about poms going to Spain/Greece for their holidays & also about expats who were living & running businesses there........well what an eye opener that was! I had told my partner of the reputations of some of them when they go on holidays to the above but he was really shocked at their behaviour,talk about let it all hang out & that was just the men :P

Most of them were couples too as in 2 men 2 women,not many men/women couples, & groups of one sex or the other, is it really that bad or were they playing it up for the cameras?

:o I cannot say in words what i feel about these people, talk about sodom and gamorrah.. :angry: It's entertainment for some, but i find it disgusting that they get away with it, no morals, no respect.... Sums up the world we live in today.. they deserve the diseases that they get from it... :angry:

B) Or is it that i'm jealous that it wasn't like it when i was 18.. :rolleyes:

post-34-1105354829_thumb.jpg

I think you may be a teeny weeny bit jealous Den :wub:

I would be scared of my drinks being spiked & that would be the least of my worries :blink:

Den

We were going to buy a Semi in Long Lane Attenborough in 98,

That was 68,000. That fell through. We ended up buying a similar house

in Sawley for 30,000 (Bargain) :lol:

Needed new floor throughout ground floor (floods of 47), and rewire/redecorate (No Problem)

Dread to think what it's worth today.

Jackie wants to sell up and move to France.

I would prefer Florida. B)

Florida sounds good, France..............ok but full of French people ooops sorry but I know they hate the English & the rest of humanity :angry:

Caz

France..............ok but full of French people ooops sorry but I know they hate the English & the rest of humanity

:ph34r: Quite strange that, if it wasn't for the rest of humanity they would be speaking German not French... :P

post-34-1105377520_thumb.jpg

And if it want fer the English Channel, we might be speaking French :o (or would they be speaking english). :P

Shouldn't this be in the new Political Forum? :huh:

• 1 month later...

Ayup Caz, Dennis, Mick and all..Been a while and I see the membership's grown since I was last here.

Hey Caz, are you a member of FR's new chatroom?? If so did you ask Elvis about his chat site???? ;) Just clutching at straws.

Anyroads where did I settle, well first I went to Tassie, then Wollongong, then "over the hill" to Bathurst all in Oz. Then in 89 I brought my bride back to her home country, the USA. Lived in California for a number of years and been down here in Missouri, her home State, for over five years now....Gods own country!

John in sunny cold windy southern Missouri......

G'day Ayup,

You've been around a bit ain't ya??

You can't live in god's own country cuz we do!! We live in the country,surrounded by mountains, covered with wild flowers in the summer & snow in the winter. Rivers full of trout.Country roads with blackberries growing in the hegerows,heaps of wineries in every direction & beautiful cheeses to tempt the palate. We all have our own little bit of heaven & this is mine. :D :P :lol: :rolleyes::) B)

You have a brother who lives around this area don't you me duck?

From Caz in sunny Oz :wub:

No it's a cousin Caz, I think I gave you their website just in case I didn't here it is

<http://www.omeoregion.com.au/winery/>

I live in the mountains surrounded by Black Walnut trees, Hickory trees, flowering dogwoods, which are native to this area, loads of blackberries! AND the rivers are full of trout and catfish :P

Nearest large twon is Thayer with about 2200 population, and nearest town to me at ten miles away is Alton about 700 population.

I am close to the Mark Twain National Park, one mile away! Loads of spring fed rivers, all springs in the Ozarks and pretty close to the Missouri country and western capital, of Branson.

The Ozarks Mountains are believed to be the oldest mountain range in the US, made up of hundreds of feet deep limestone, eroded down to their present height of just a few thousand feet above sea level.

The water is sparkling clear from 500 feet below our feet and pumped to the surface by our own pump.....Now this IS country living :P:P

John

:o Bl@@dy hell Ayupmeducks that sounds a fantastic place and Caz yours sounds as nice too. Here am i surrounded by brick & concrete with the occacional peice of green and the odd tree or two, I'm envious.. :huh::huh::huh::huh: i wish i had wings.

post-34-1109952889_thumb.jpg

Been past where Caz lives many times going from NSW into Victoria, can look a bit brown during drought years though, but most of the time nice area.

Droughts where I live are scarce, green all the time. Summers can be a bit harsh with the high humidity and high temps, but spring and autumn are fantastic!

Three drawbacks to where I live, poor shopping, high summer humidity and the thunderstorms can get real severe and can spawn a tornado.

I can live with those, I did live several years in California and did experience a few earthquakes, plus tornados are found everywhere on this continent.

You & I are like 2 pigs in S*** aren't we Ayup?? Very happy with our lot. :D

It can get brown in this area but hasn't for a while now we have had a bit of rain & the place looks like a golf course, our paddock included!!

When I lived in Perth the lawns & paddocks were white & all dried up, just started to get a bit better in the winter & then summer came back with a vengeance & it started all over again. <_<

I have posted a couple of web sites which you & the others may find interesting, if you have a spare 10 mins give them a look,it will bring back a few memories for you.

www.mthotham.com.au

wwalpinelink.com.au

:) I WISH YOU TWO WOULD SHUT UP. we have had all four seasons here in Chilwell in one day.......LOL Rain. Snow. Sunshine and high winds.

post-34-1110018178_thumb.jpg

Sorry Den, we are smug aren't we?? I heard the weather is cold at the mo, if it makes you feel any better we have had rain today & it was lovely!!!

Hey Den, it's nice to rub it in mate :P:P:P:P

• 4 weeks later...
You & I are like 2 pigs in S*** aren't we Ayup?? Very happy with our lot. :D

It can get brown in this area but hasn't for a while now we have had a bit of rain & the place looks like a golf course, our paddock included!!

When I lived in Perth the lawns & paddocks were white & all dried up, just started to get a bit better in the winter & then summer came back with a vengeance & it started all over again. <_<

I have posted a couple of web sites which you & the others may find interesting, if you have a spare 10 mins give them a look,it will bring back a few memories for you.

www.mthotham.com.au

wwalpinelink.com.au

Ann the email addresses I was telling you about are at the bottom of this post

caz