It is absolutely P***ing it down here for the 9th consecutive day.I am glad we live on top of a hill otherwise we would really be in trouble

Anyway what all this rain reminded me of was when I used to live in Carlton and it rained heavily, Cavendish road would flow like a river ,there would be a massive torrent of water which flowed off towards Carlton Square where fortunately they had built a massive underground storm drain and the water just dissapeared

I would have a conservative estimate and say we have had a good 18ins / 2ft of rain in the last week and a half (It probably dosen't sound much to some of you but it is a lot for round here)

!tanning! NOT

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our road always floods when there's heavy rain as the drains can't cope, our drive slopes up from the road so house a few feet above road so safe from flooding. Moaned to Ashfield council many times b

There's been a lot more than the usual amount of precipitation here in the last few weeks. I say precipitation as at the height I live, it's been coming down as sleet. It doesn't last long on the grou

Get the sandbags out  

I read that parts of Long Eaton were getting flooded!

We could use some here too!

It finally stopped raining at about 6.00am (the sun is cracking the flags as we speak 11.50am) I have just finished surveying the damage. The front garden has been battered by both wind and rain (lost most of me prize blooms) The back not so bad as it is quite sheltered but it ain't harf washed me kids play area all over the place !!! I am still waiting for the sleepers to arrive to hold it all in place.

;)

Yep, short of it around here too, there seems to be an upper level low stalled out over Texas, they are getting flooded out while the rest of us are dry!

First day of sunshine in a while here too.

According to the News, Nottingham suffered really bad flooding earlier in

the week. Liverpool had some too.

The clean-up will cost oodles and people's houses are full of mud.

Tonights News covered Sheffield Centre, Rotherham and Barnsley, all in

the same mess. Lots of people can't even spend a night in their homes.

They are all praying for more sunshine so that the water will subside and

things will dry out. We can but hope. :blink:

Knowing how LUCKY I am, well, we had a job booked in for today in Leeds. :(

M1 shut from J32 to J36 northbound so we decided to travel north via the A1.

Started off up the A614 from Arnold - got to the first island and the road past the Limes Cafe was shut due to flooding. Took a detour toward Rain'ath trying to cut up toward Clumber Park but every which way was shut.

Finall travelled around the outskirts of Worksop to end up back on the A1 only to meet up with a massive tailback - total nightmare today!!

Eventually arrived 2.5 hours later gaspin' fer a coffee. Whew.!!

Looks like the M1 closure is long term until they sort out the damaged dam near Rotherham, which, it is mooted, would wash out the M1 section if it gives way.

Got to go back to Leeds on Thursday :(

It's not looking good Frank because more rain is forecast,

particularly for these areas.

The dam is unstable and on the verge of collapse.

The people in this region are absolutely terrified though many

have been relocated for now. No chance of the A1 being re-opened yet,

also the M1 is closed.

Only access now is M4 and M5 but not if it rains again.

It's dangerous, 2 people have died already.

News reporters and the locals say that they have never seen anything like it

before. No schools, shops, nor transport - everything brought to a halt.

Even the sewage works are flooded out.

Apparently, many of the houses have been built on fllood plains,

and the drainage system hasn't been updated since Victorian times.

but Global Warming is to blame, they say.

Awful all round and no sign of a reprieve yet :angry:

As I speak, they are working like mad to stabilise the dam before more

rain arrives.

Pumping out as much water as possible in order ro reduce the water level.

A membrane has been placed across the breach and sand is being used

for something?

It's not looking good Frank because more rain is forecast,

particularly for these areas.

The dam is unstable and on the verge of collapse.

The people in this region are absolutely terrified though many

have been relocated for now. No chance of the A1 being re-opened yet,

also the M1 is closed.

Only access now is M4 and M5 but not if it rains again.

It's dangerous, 2 people have died already.

News reporters and the locals say that they have never seen anything like it

before. No schools, shops, nor transport - everything brought to a halt.

Even the sewage works are flooded out.

Apparently, many of the houses have been built on fllood plains,

and the drainage system hasn't been updated since Victorian times.

but Global Warming is to blame, they say.

Awful all round and no sign of a reprieve yet :angry:

Jane don't you mean M6- M62 ?

Frank take the A50 from jnct 24 M1 across to Stoke then M6 North to jnct 22 towards Manchester M60 round Manchester and back onto the M62 and so on to Leeds long way round but probably quicker (You can always stop at ours for a brew on your way up (jnct 18 M6))

By the way it's going to pi** it down again at the weekend

;)

Also I have just spent all afternoon sorting out my patio after the rain washed all the colour out of the bark on my new kids play ground ,it has left a massive stain even after 6 hours of pressure washing

;)

Wed 27 /6/07

Dear Diary ;

Will this blessed rain never desist. It is persistantly decending on Gods already green earth, with no sign of ceasing in its precipitude , one must now be thinking that the whole Earth will surely float away.

Diary of a Sodden Sot...........1907

LOL

;)

Beefy I'm sure that the News Reporter said the other 2 routes into those regions,

but maybe I misheard?

We have had another decent day though not as sunny as yesterday.

There seems to be no end in sight yet! Those poor people :angry:

The M4 runs from Swansea to London the M5 Birmingham to Exeter give me an email if your'e coming Frank I can direct you in

;)

Yes more rain forecasted for tomorrow and the weekend.

Read today in me local rag that the council are proposing to build a flood defensive wall only five hundred yards away from my bungalow at the Harrington arms pub also raising the road surface several inches, bloody hell where I use to live the ice caps would have to melt before I saw water.

My neighbour has had a delivery of timber delivered today and from my garage roof I can just make out the outline of a keel, should I be worried?

Learnt today that his middle name is Noah.

Bip.

It's now 3/7/07 and it's still pis**ng it down (Not one dry day for 17 days now!!! )any one else had it this bad? Oh and when I say pis**ng, I mean Noah might start getting worried.

I know there's some flooding over there and thankfully it's not something we have to contend with over here (We are very lucky because our drainage is pretty good the ground is very porous thanks to all the old salt works round here) Although the river is very high there's not a lot of chance of it breaching as it flows out of a large lake and this has a wide flood plain

;)

Even though we like you have had some precipitation most of it has fallen in the sea so therefore had very little consequence on river or sea levels. I did notice one thing this morning while taking a pee, the level in the bottom trap was higher than normal would you think that would have been because of all the rain or could that be put down to global warming?

Rose. :Kiss:

I actually forgot the real reason for my last post .It was to mention that we have had a tremendous hail storm here it looked like it had been snowing for a few minutes (It had melted before I thought to get a piccy of it)

I attended a Health & Safety Conference at Birmingham today and Yesterday.

It rained heavily both days. Yesterday it was so heavy visibility was down to a few yards, and the wipers would not cope with the deluge. Last time I saw rain like that it was in Florida.

Interestingly many vehicles failed to put on their lights, or slow down.

One of the subjects today was the employers responsibility for their employees driving.

They can be held responsible for a vehicle that is their own, or the conduct of an employee to whom they pay renumeration for using their own vehicles in the course of their duties.

That is if the do not have a stated policy made clear to their employee.

I think looking at the UK style of driving, it could be a lucrative propostion for me in future, to get involved in the civil area.

One of the subjects today was the employers responsibility for their employees driving.

They can be held responsible for a vehicle that is their own, or the conduct of an employee to whom they pay renumeration for using their own vehicles in the course of their duties.

"Whilst they go about their masters business" As it is stated in the rules and regs

By the way just passed level three. Next is the big one !rulez!

Looking on the bright side BIP, if the flood defences are close to your

bungalow they should provide protection others would love to have :victory:

Still raining heavily here on/off but no flooding yet.

A brook in the Ribble area burst its banks, flooding local houses,

and Clitheroe, Lancs now has some flooding too.

It's very widespread.

Even Wimbledon is a wash-out. Meanwhile, Brown suggests that we all wave

our union flags in defiance, so unionflag , yes, that feels much better!

We must support the tennis players that are left (no Brits) in this rain,

and defy the terrorists with our flags :crazy: