It's been raining all day here

Now to the jealousy bit ,I used to go to Waddo for the display every year (not been for about 12 years now .I did no it was on today and tommorow and had thought of driving over but the wifes shift pattern put a stop to that. The only one we have in our neck of the woods is at Southport (about 1 1/2 hours away) But that is not until the end of September and the weather is always bad!!!!

As for the Montagus Harrier I have never seen one ,Marsh Harrier ,yup, Hen Harrier, Yup ,Hawker Harrier ,LOL, yup, but never a monty (Birding is a great passion of mine.)

no2 Jealous to death

(all iv'e done is look after my two little 'uns then took the wife shopping when she came in from work.) I aint arf glad you replied I thought there may have been a glitch in the system again

;)

Check out the birds in my neck of the woods then Beefy! Google Missouri Conservation, they have a list and piccies of them all. Most common around here is the Northern Cardinal, so named because it's bright red!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Florida Eagles. This is for anyone who was following Ozzy and Harriots story last year. I for one was, and really sad when I read this news today. He had been through so much and after being brought

I think this years only Nottingham falcon will soon be off that ledge?    https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/peregrine-cam    

Posted Images

I will have to have a look at what Google has to say it sounds very interesting.

I have actually seen a Cardinal bird(Some American species get blown across the Atlantic on the odd occasion) It was in South Wales near Tredegar of all places (I was working down there and I saw a load of the real 'Twitchers' there (these are the ones that chase all over the country at the drop of a hat over a rare species being sighted)Any way I asked and was shown the Cardinal sat in someones front garden, looking rather sad for itself. Apparently it stayed for about two weeks and then dissapeared.

On my first trip to America I remember seeing Mocking Birds (On International Drive Orlando Fla) then down in Key west I saw a real 'Woody Woodpecker' type pecking away at the top of a telegraph pole!!! on Duval ,and lots and lots of 'Bloody Hells'. These are your various speices of Buzzards it stems back to when my dad was over there (in the Mid West) and every time he saw one it was "Bloody Hell look at that" and it sort of stuck in our house.

On my second visit we had just arrived at our first 'motel' and went for an evening dip in the pool when over head flew a Nightjar and a couple of Egrets plus a Scarlet Ibis (I think the latter was a bit lost too.) I saw a Night Heron fishing in the marina at Key West and lots of Pelicans ,Herons ,Great and Little Egrets down in Clearwater (They all came scrounging the fish that I caught) There are also lots of Green Parakeets flying round there, it is great for bird life in the U.S.A.

;)

I had a Greater Road Runner in my yard a few months back, haven't seen it around since then, but someone I know told me he had a family of them around his place. We have many Northern Flickers, (type of woodpeckers) and this time of year at night we here the Whipperwills. Then this time of year we see the Humming birds who winter in Mexico and the warmer places. God they are so tiny!!

Standing joke when I meet my old my Dave is about Humming Birds (in Barbados and Bali)

When we were there every time I got my camera on one it would flick me the finger and was gone before I could snap it, yet, every time I didn't have my camera with me the damned things would be flitting round my head for 1/2 an hour laughing at me 'cos they new I couldn't get a piccy.

;)

Ayup Beefsteak,

Check out the "lincs bird club" website to get all the info and pictures of the Montagu's Harrier, some great pics of food passing, also good for other bird sighting of Lincolnshire, Alright I know it's not Nottinghamshire but it aint far away, btw Iv'e been birding for 40 plus years and this is the first time I've seen a monty

cheers

Rog

To Plantfit

I thought you might find this one interesting. I was fishing about 2 weeks ago when this Buzzard (that I had been watching all day) rose up from the far end of the lake with something in its talons . I don't know what it was I can only suspect a Mallard .As it flew away with it's booty it was mobed by a Carrion Crow and despite battling for ages it eventually dropped it's prize and scarpered (you can just make it out in the photo .It's not a very clear photo as I only had my small digital with me and this was about a mile or so away by the time I had got the camera out and zoomed in etc

For some reason it wont let me put my picture on here it tells me dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed .I shall find a different way and have a go

I've sorted it for you Beefy - Frank

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t269/be...4/buzard003.jpg

This is when it came back looking for it's quarry and notice the crow after it straight away just click the link

;)

buzard003.jpg

blimey bet you all have notted hankies on your head and wear socks with your sandles ! no wonder my sis caz is AWOL lol lol

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there ? P.S. where is Caz ? tell her we miss her genuinely

imissyouimissyou

Ayup Beefsteak,

Just got back from a trip around Swinderby airfield 20.30hrs Monday 2nd July. saw two magnificent buzzards one very pale colour perched 30mtrs in front of me, no camera though. I like your pics of the buzzard, typical shape of this very proud raptor,Monty's harrier still showing well at Digby fen last evening as I drove past,,,,,slowly. sorry to all the other site members for going on about birdlife, and I know it's not Nottinghamshire but if Beefsteak wants to see these birds it's worth a post to give him the chance to see one.

Cheers

Rog

Just had a look at the Lincs bird club site thanks for that ,there are some great photos' I especialy like the Osprey (Look out behind you) photo.

Anyway here's a poser for you (I know what it is .)It was just behaving strangely when I got this piccy

HolidayinCornwall009.jpg

Yup

The only times I have ever seen them before ,they have been on the ground doing their notorious chat chat chat (Like two pebbles knocking together hence their name) But as you can see this one was perched on top of the hedge row acting like a Pied Flycatcher fliting up and down trying to catch stuff on the wing.Every time it caught something it was bursting into proper song

Ian

;)

Thought I'd just put me two pennoth in. I love birds and have feeders all in my trees, and we get some really pretty birds here in this neck of the woods. I was at the Grand Canyon in May and for the first time, watched California Condors circling overhead, then landing below us on the rocks. Boy are they some ugly bods, but huge and magnificent.

They are a bit like your Buzzards in that respect (ugly and vulture like up close but beautiful in flight )our Buzzards on the other hand are magnificent in both aspects (rather like small Golden Eagles up close)

;)

we get some really pretty birds here in this neck of the woods. Boy are they huge and magnificent.

I do a lot of work at the University here in the town centre and I must admit that this years intake of pretty birds was also quite amazing - it's a wonder how I get work done some days smile2

We are talking about the same thing aren't we?? !yada!

Well sarcacastic coments aside I saw a little egret out side my college this afternoon (Very rare but not new for this neck of the woods)

;)

Here we go again...saw it coming somehow....

Never met a Victoria who spells it that way!

How you keeping I...?

Take Care..

Cheers

Robt P.

Viccy leave Frank out of this, he's not a beer swilling sop.

You said you didn’t like small dogs or dog lovers, does that dislike cover only small dogs like the type Caz has or are you including in your dislike of dogs the larger variety like mine the Boxer?

Bip.