Ayup Beefsteak,

Just had an Osprey fly over garden going south west, either Ancaster or even Rutland, at the moment the swallows are lining up on my electric wires, about fifty of them

cheers

Rog

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Florida Eagles. This is for anyone who was following Ozzy and Harriots story last year. I for one was, and really sad when I read this news today. He had been through so much and after being brought

I think this years only Nottingham falcon will soon be off that ledge?    https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/peregrine-cam    

Posted Images

12.30pm approx 100 plus Pinkfoot Geese flying north straight over the house (Do they know something we don't??)

I actually got to pay a short visit to my happy hunting ground this afternoon ,along with loads of Ruff,Black Tailed Godwit and Sandpipers I saw a Wood Sand Piper(1st one ever for me,I expected the round of applause only to find out they are a regular visitor round here, ah well next time maybe?)

Strange day around ches Beefsteak today .One unidentified raptor (Possibly a Perigrine more than likely a Sparrow Hawk)

allsorts021.jpg

and in broad daylight straight over the house allsorts019.jpg

A Night Jar, all within 10 minutes .

I took this one of a small tortoiseshell at the same time

allsorts024.jpg

• 7 months later...

BIG BUMP

'Ere you go Rog, one to make you jealous .

Whilst out the front of the house this evening I was watching (what I thought to be) a pair of Buzzards circling some distance away,as they got a bit closer I commented to SWMBO that they were a bit big for Buzzard , just a couple of seconds later two real Buzzards came flying up to try to mob the pair of Golden Eagles that were 'on their territory'!!!!!!!!!!! I think they were a bit suprised when they got in close to find that there 'targets' were three times their size , as they turned tail and scarpered sharpish. I continued to watch for a couple of minutes but they were soon gone (ON their way to the Lake district or further I would asume)

Ayup Beefsteak,

Well thats blown all my sighting into a cocked hat and I'm stunned for words, could even throw my bins and scope in the recycling bin. That has to be the sighting of the decade and I can't spell JEALOUS loud enough, by the way, I have heard that a Montagues is back in Lincs so will keep you posted

(Golden Eagles) WOWWWWWW!!!!!

Rog

How rare is the Golden Eagle nowadays?

Was it not just confined to the Scottish Highlands until quite recently?

A memory that I will take to Wilford Hill was the sight of 2,000+ Bald Eagles (America's National Bird) in the trees surrounding Lake McDonald in Montana's Glacier National Park, awaiting the arrival of the spawning salmon.

Cheers

Robt P.

Still on the endangered list I'm afraid. There have been at least 10 pairs in the Lake district for the last 40 years and the remote highlands of Scotland hold about 430 breeding pairs ,they are slowly recovering, along with the Osprey, Red Kite and the White Tailed Sea Eagle ( which were all persecuted by farmers / land owners in the 18th/19th century to near extinction) all seem to be making a slow and steady recovery ,and not too soon if you ask me.

P.S. I did see a Bald Eagle Eyrie in the Cape Kennedy Space Centre. out on the swamp land that surrounds the place when we went on a bus ride round the place in 94

Talking of the Kennedy Space Centre its one of the finest nature conservation areas.

Me and Beefsteak Spied the lesser spotted Gaz there.

Incidentally is was free to get in when I first started going around 1990.

I cant remember what year they started charging.

I will be back in July and will look out for the eagles.

• 5 months later...

To confuse you all , go on identify this if you can. I took this in my back garden about an hour ago. It's a truly wild specimen.

z119.jpg

Oh no, I didn't realise that the gang were twitchers, what fantastic sightings Beefsteak, brilliant, it must be in the blood, trains, aircraft, general interest, I bet that you are despairing that I'm a twitcher as well, thank god that decent people care, I usually have the p##s taken out of me for taking an interest, but there you go, what do they know or care.

Looks like a buzzard to me by the way, rarities in this part of the world.

...trains, aircraft, general interest, I bet that you are despairing that I'm a twitcher...

Bet you can give us 14 sides of foolscap on 3rd Century Portugese pottery... :tease:

Cheers

Robt P.

Believe it or not this is the same bird from a slightly different angle!!!!!

z117.jpg

The common or garden Crow!!

Ayup Beefsteak,

When you say common or garden crow do you mean Corvus Corone as in carrion crow or corvus frugilegus as in Rook, the rook has the same tail shape as your bird in the first picture and it does tend to show a lighter shading to it's legs, in you're second picture was the bird coming in to land? if so that would explain the fan shape to it's tail, carrion crow (corvus corone) has much darker legs and from that angle wouldn't show up so much, also the tail of corvus corone is straight across the end whereas corvus frugilegus is more rounded.

Sorry for being a bit pedantic but I think clarification at this point will save endless discussions about the bird in the future

Rog

Ayup Beefsteak,...When you say common or garden crow do you mean Corvus Corone as in carrion crow or corvus frugilegus as in...

You two :Friends: don't half post some tripe...

It's obviously the formerly top-secret Mildenhall Blackbird which used to take off a 2am, and get back - to be locked in it's hangar - before Suffolk folk got out of bed. Following a near collision with an invisible Stealth sparrow, it was sold off cheap to Plummet Airlines - who considered to to be dangerous. They sold on to A.V.Roe at Woodford, to become the Avro 698 - precursor of the Vulcan - so it's still a huge financial liability, 73 years on.

Next time either of you have the temerity to submit on horny thologee matters, get your bloody facts right first :shout:

Cheers

Robt P.

Point taken Gentlemen.

It would be a Corvus Corone, the Carrion Crow , not landing, it was just circling in the evening sunshine. (I was trying to catch the winter sun on the planes running in to Manchester , but in the 1/4 hour out there nothing came in .!!! Typical!!

This fellow was as I said just circling and I fired off a few at him .

I got this one a couple of days ago

z098.jpg

Can any of you birders answer this mystery for me please? None of the birdwatchers I have asked in the past seem to know the answer.

Every evening, towards dusk, I see a steady stream of birds (crows or rooks, I'm not sure) passing over my bungalow in Rise Park. They always follow the same very narrow track in the sky - perhaps a couple of hundred yards wide - and seem to be coming from the direction of the Bestwood Country Park and then heading in a South Westerly distance for as far as the eye can see.

There are literally thousands of them every evening, flock after flock. Can be observed for half an hour or an hour in what seems a never ending stream. Presumably on their way to a roost.

Have never seen them making the return journey (maybe they do it while I'm still abed).

Question : Where are they coming from and where do they end up??

Ayup Teebee,

A couple of questions first: how big are the birds and can you pick out any markings ie: light wings dark body that type of thing.

Could be starlings going to roost, not very often you see them starting the day off though, I think they all leave the roost site at different times, larger birds could be lapwings or gulls, the latter tend to leave the feeding grounds together, they usually fly in chevron patterns with the birds taking it in turns at the front of the flock. They spend their nights on lakes or other open stretches of water. There is a website dedicated to Lincolnshire birding that's worth a visit, after all birds are birds wherever they come from, checkout: lincs bird club, some well informed folk on there and some cracking photo's.

Let me know if you find out what your flock is

Rog