...What has this got to do with birdwatching, sorry, Rob started all this!!!!...

Not so...your opener, Post 111:

"...The only trouble is that the local council and a bunch of ignorant, rinse haired, rich local pillocks have been messing with the area for the past year, it's been a bit of a saga which got me in the local newspaper, it still hasn't been resolved, it's an interesting story of how the so called great, good and influential, like to manipulate things for their own devices without actually knowing what they are messing with, but the self opinionated, but thick wife of one of Thatchers former henchmen is involved so it's hard going..."

You'll be hearing from my solicitor...

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Florida Eagles. This is for anyone who was following Ozzy and Harriots story last year. I for one was, and really sad when I read this news today. He had been through so much and after being brought

I think this years only Nottingham falcon will soon be off that ledge?    https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/peregrine-cam    

Posted Images

Not so...your opener, Post 111:

"...The only trouble is that the local council and a bunch of ignorant, rinse haired, rich local pillocks have been messing with the area for the past year, it's been a bit of a saga which got me in the local newspaper, it still hasn't been resolved, it's an interesting story of how the so called great, good and influential, like to manipulate things for their own devices without actually knowing what they are messing with, but the self opinionated, but thick wife of one of Thatchers former henchmen is involved so it's hard going..."

You'll be hearing from my solicitor...

Cheers

Robt P.

It's these people from Bingham, they won't take the blame for anything.

Don't threaten me, my solicitor used to be Lord Phillips of Sudbury, in person, he used to be a mate of mine, honest, but thats a long story, however he did teach me how to play croquet, judging by Lord and Lady Prescotts efforts, he didn't teach them very well, perhaps his heart wasn't in it. He'll have you for breakfast, I'm sure that a quick phone call will sort you out.

Incidentally, thinking of Binghamites, did you know Glyn Spendlove, lived out on the Grantham Road and was an ace bass guitarist. There was also a bloke in the area who was so tall that he had a Hillman Imp with the front seats removed, he used to sit in the back seat and drive to the local swimming pool, an amazing sight.

To keep on track, I'm looking at 4 Goldfinches swinging on the feeders at the moment, they are such lovely looking birds, blimey there's dozens of them appeared, they're having a right good row, Mr Starling is getting out the way, no, his mates have arrived along with a Turtle Dove, now the blue tits have turned up, fight , fight, good fun this.

..Incidentally, thinking of Binghamites, did you know Glyn Spendlove, lived out on the Grantham Road and was an ace bass guitarist.

No 'fraid not...had he played Irish reels/slip jigs on a tenor banjo, I would have done...

There was also a bloke in the area who was so tall that he had a Hillman Imp with the front seats removed, he used to sit in the back seat and drive to the local swimming pool, an amazing sight.

That would be my aforementioned solictor...one of the best libel lawyers in the whole of Belvoir Vale.

(Actually, I've never heard of this bloke either...then I've only lived here for 37 years...do you dream 'em up?)

Cheers

Robt P.

Turtle doves very rare for this time of the year

Rog

Not here they ain't, a pair of them hang around the garden all the time, they probably feel safe from Lady Newton, my own dogs are probably a safer bet.

Rob, are you not going to admit to removing the front seats from your Hillman Imp and being able to stand in the deep end without having to hold your breath.

firbeck,

Turtle Dove (Streptopelia Turtur) is a migrant and leaves these shores between July and September for the African continent flying day and night, they return again in May ready to breed then up sticks again later in the summer, Have you got mixed up with Collard Doves (Streptopelia Decaocto) quite rare in the fifties in the UK but they have successfully bred to the point of being on the pest list, there have been no reports on any of the bird links saying the Turtle Dove is still present in any part of the UK

Rog

Quite right matey, slip of the tongue, sorry to get you so excited.

You'll like this though, we have a resident rat, he lives under the shed during the winter and is no trouble, he comes off the fields and is no bother to us at all, the dogs make sure of that, but he is in fact a very handsome creature who gets up to all sorts of antics.

Just now he has been climbing up the sunflowers next to the bird table, everytime he gets a step on there he falls off, he appears to have given up at the moment, but I'm sure he'll have some sort of cunning plan, though the local cats keep lurking, I've just sent Scooby Doo out to get rid of them, dogs have respect, cats are just killers.

• 2 weeks later...

Geese1.jpg

Ayup all,

Just felt sorry for this poor specimen, I think it's supposed to be a Greylag goose (Anser Anser)

what are your thoughts?

Rog

what are your thoughts?

Methinks the grass wants cutting.

Apart from that - no comment, although I go out of my way to feed our feathered friends while out walking.

It's mother never did speak of that particular orgy ................LOL

It looks more like an escaped domesticated Goose with poo on it's head.

Ayup all,

The picture was taken on Thursday in a restored area of the quarry, it is a greylag without the grey so would it be called a LAG. the reason for the picture was there have been reports of Snow Geese in the Skeg area and the quarry is not all that far away, thought I'd got meself a scoop until I looked at it a bit closer, interesting bird though, (but that's another story)

Rog

I reckon it's an Albinolag goose, the others don't seem to approve, they're getting away fast.

When I went to Duxford last sunday, I saw an unusual bird of prey on a telegraph pole near Audley End, after investigation I reckon it was a merlin, don't remember seeing one before, but the size, appearance and habitat seemed right, unfortunately I left the camera chip in the computer and couldn't take a picture.

Your pictures on your blog of the Nuthatch in Cornwall, Beefsteak, reminded me of what the Council have wiped out round here. Last year we had one regularly visiting our bird table, we haven't seen it since they got to work. Today, after spending money on expensive posters, our council friends are inviting all to help to put up bird boxes, where, I don't know, as they've chopped down the trees and the one's they planted are neglected and dead. They must have a guilty conscience, though worrying about bird boxes when so much has been vandalised and wrecked, is beyond me, perhaps I should take my hammer and join in, I might be tempted to nail some of them to a tree though.

They know me, I won't be welcome, end of story, I'd like to know what they are hoping to nest in their boxes though, as they haven't a clue.

Ayup firbeck,

I like your idea of an Albinolag goose, as for your council it could be that they are setting up or have set up a UK BAP, (Bio diversity action plan) for which they could be entitled for some money, as long as you have an action plan in place you get paid if you do owt or nowt, don't see the point in putting up nest boxes this time of the year, wet weather for the next 3-4 months will probably rot them and they won't be any good, roosting boxes would be better and nest boxes next March ready for the nesting season.

Off to Donna Nook now to see the seal pups, pics later

Rog

Tried to talk SWMBO into taking our Charlotte out of school for a couple of days, so I could let them go up Donna Nook whilst we play with the aeroplanes next week . She's having none of it !! So it's just me.!!

2008_1115Seals080008.jpg

Ayup Beefsteak,

Just got back and had a good afternoon, roadworks sent us a different way to usual, about 15 miles further but still worth it, nice weather on the coast, plenty of people, (all very friendly) and a greasy spoon tent (bacon,sausage burgers etc) on the car park and a chalet type tent to sit in if the weather turned foul.

I know these pics are not of birds but what the hell. shame the kids can't make it but the pups will be there up until about Christmas so you never know

Rog

2008_1115Seals080009.jpg

As you can see the beach was packed so we didn't bother going down to the sea, just sat on the dunes and watched the local talent

Rog

Fantastic spectacle there Rog , thanks for sharing.

It is a shame the kids can't come this time but our Charlotte has just had an extra week out when we went on our holiday.

• 1 year later...

We have an overfriendly Robin, he's just been sitting on a garden chair outside the patio door waiting for some meal worms

Took down an old shed I've had this Robin checking every brick for bugs & spiders , he/she loves centipedes.

4590907513_e9afb54164_b.jpg

• 11 months later...

Fantastic sight and a fantastic site too, thanks Red !!

I've been watching it for weeks and then missed this !!!!

Amazing sight, I expect they get all the food they want from the local pidgeon population, I haven't seen that many peregrines, the first one I saw took out a pidgeon over the cliffs in Pembroke, the next sighting I had was when I was on the beach at Branscombe in Devon, there was a bunch of Magpies in a bush and this Falcon appeared from nowhere and grabbed one, it spent the next half hour trying to eat it while fighting off the Magpies mates. One year we had a Scout trip to Torquay, the local Scout camp is on cliffs near to Babbacombe Bay, we had our own little bay which featured a Peregrine nesting on the cliffs, it spent most of it's time chasing off a local buzzard but otherwise seemed to be content feeding it's young on the remains of seagulls that it had somehow caught, it's nest was not as tidy as this one, full of bones and crap, but to go swimming in this little bay and see this master of the air looking at you with contempt, which he indeed did, was a remarkable experience.

SWMBO and I just sat there for half an hour watching her feed a Pigeon to her 4 chicks , brilliant and a great privilege to see.

How did you both manage to crawl out on the parapet without being seen?

The chick on the left doesn't look to have moved at all, what do you think?

I'll take that back, it just got itself more comfortable, but it doesn't look as active as the rest of the brood.

• 3 weeks later...