Ayup Rog

I have just bought a new Tripod from 7dayshop.com it cost just over £15 including delivery and for the price it is absolutely brill .

Its light, compact ,two yes two spirit levels ,(not that I ever need one) carry case and a built in carrying handle and a fuul money back one year guarantee

If evere you need one have a look www.7dayshop.com

Ian

;)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Florida Eagles. This is for anyone who was following Ozzy and Harriots story last year. I for one was, and really sad when I read this news today. He had been through so much and after being brought

I think this years only Nottingham falcon will soon be off that ledge?    https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/peregrine-cam    

Posted Images

Ayup Ian,

Thanks for that I could do with a new one as I lost one of the locking rings from mine,

News for today: greylags are coming to the quarry in their dozens, looks like they're ready to migrate, a bit early but perhaps sick of the weather. Tree creepers and gold crests in local woodland at the moment as well

Cheers

Rog

I have two wood pigeons that are driving me crazy at the moment. They are spending most of the day in a great willow tree in a neighbour’s back yard.

For most of the day these two are fighting for perches in great willow tree, I ask you why? Talk about this tree isn’t big enough for two.

If they are not fighting they are cooing every two minutes, or is that the two ring necked doves which reside in my same neighbours thirty foot conifer., anyroadup if I get hold of any of them I shall ring all their bloody necks.

Bip. !tanning!

Ere ya are Rog

12.55 sun morning. Standing outside my back door having a late night crafty stogie, and Im'e sure I just heard a Night Jar ( Not 100% cos I ain't heard one in years)

(By the way BIP is that latest picture of yours(The piggy) from Charlottes web ,cos my daughter(Charlotte) saw it and said it's from her film

;)

OMG! what's it worth darls? Can't she smell it when you get up close & intimate :blink:

Are you avvin a laugh . Every time I get up close and intimate we add to the total inhabitants of our house, Been married 8 years had sex twice result 2 sprogs so no more Percy Filth for me thank you very much

;)

Day light there isnt it I forgot. Sorry.(but right now (0440BST) you (Caz) have the ISS straight over your head .Shame it's daylight and you can't see it

;)

Told you that Cognac was good stuff coz I lost myself too.

I started a forum about the ISS (international space station) a few weeks ago, and as I was checking it's position this morning, I saw it was straight over the Melbourne Adelaide area, but as it was daytime there you would not have been able to see it anyway!! There you go clear as mud when I sobered up a bit

Trouble is we are 4 hours from Melbourne so wouldn't have been able to see it anyway,never mind the thought was there.

Believe me ,it's that big and bright you could be four days from Melbourne and you could still see it LOL

bighug

Ayup ian,

Black Kite seen two villages from my house, also got five young Coot's running through my garden this morning, this wet weather's got a lot to answer for!

Rog

Speaking of the weather and it's effects, my Budlia bushes have all flowered about a month earlier than last year, subsequently I have only seen one ,yes, just one butterfly in my garden this summer (a Peacock) where as last year when I still had my wild life garden section we had at least 15 different speices including Swallowtail, Brimstone and Fratilleries.

It's either the weather or the fact that SWMBO insisted upon the removal of said wild part

madashell

Just got back from my Mother in laws and there is a Great Woodpecker sat at her patio table . I took a double take only to be informed it comes down to visit on a regular basis

B)

Can the twitchers tell us where all the sparrows have gone?

I have some 'Red Hot Pokers' in my garden when, when they flower, are invariably eaten by sparrows within a week or so. Not this year, they flowered for almost 2 months before dying off of their accord, with not a sparrow in sight!

Cheers

Robt P.

The tree sparrow (or Dunnock to give it its real name ) has sadly been in decline for many years due to the removal of their natural habitat .As for the Hedge and House Sparrows again there has been a steady decline over the last few decades but I only remarked this morning ,at the mother in laws house ,just how many of them there are this year, every breeding pair seem to have had at least two broods obviously there has been a proliferation of bugs this year due to the bad weather but in answer Rob ,sadly ,I don't know where yours have gone.

Ayup Beefsteak,

Just a small point, Hedge sparrow = Dunnock, prunella modularis.

House sparrow = passer domesticus

Tree sparrow = passer montonus

For some reason people have always called the Dunnock a sparrow when really it's an Accentor, different species, For those that are interested though, compared to the house sparrow the tree sparrow has a smaller black bib and black ear coverts.

I agree with you on the reason for their decline, most of their traditional nest site have been destroyed by pulling up the hedge rows and small bushes, however they will readily nest in home made nest boxes with an entrance hole of at least 28mm.

Great news about you're wood pecker, now it's my turn to be green with envy

Cheers

Rog

Sorry about the wrong call there,I thought after posting I was wrong! I also forgot to include' r spotted' but I didn't think any one else was reading these posts so it wouldn't matter

P.S. do any of your spotting groups use short names on an expedition? ie Great spot, monty, or best still 'fish biter' for an Osprey ? (We get one of those on our mere twice a year once on her way up and again on her return , but we never get a male)

Ayup Beefsteak,

There's a few local names about for different birds such as:

Osprey = Fish Hawk

Hobby = tree falcon

Oyster catcher = sea pie

Lapwing = pyewipe

Puffin = sea parrot

House martin = martlet

Song thrush = mavis throstle

Green woodpecker = yaffle

Swift = devil bird

The list goes on, but what they tend to do is use an abreviation such as LTT for long tailed tit or LRP for little ringed plover, of course it depends where you're birding and some name shortening can get confusing if someone else reads your bird list, look on the "witham staple" web site, I post on there most months of my findings and I think I put some abreviations of birds on there. It's a local web site for the eight villages in our area.

Cheers

Rog

Ayup Beefsteak,

A trip to Freiston shore today saw, 2500-3000 Knot, 1000-1500 oyster catchers, spoonbill flying over, plenty terns and canada geese.

Cheers

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

Ere ya go Eric

Just had a Peregrine Falcon over my house this afternoon, this is the best photo I could get (I had two Buzzards yesterday and didn't manage one piccy and they were circling ever so slow too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

perigrine.jpg