Wednesday last week, i phoned Fopp to order a cd, agreing to collect tea time Saturday. Drives over from the Arena, deposits 60 hard earned pence into the money grabbing machine, and marches down Queen st to find the place all closed up, cursing them for closing early, idecided to phone them " You have dialled an incorrect number" the voice said, "bollox i said back to it, its in me phones memory!" i went round to Selectadick to buy from there instead, making a mental note to phone again on Sunday, still the same message, so i Googled the name to check they hadnt changed their number to find that they had closed down!

How could it be that a shop as popular as this could just go, seemingly in an instant? Well, it appears that they couldnt get the backing from major shareholders to continue with their expansion plans, and that was it! no more Fopp, Sad too that their employees didnt get their monthly pay packet!

This is a shop i will dearly miss! :(

• 2 months later...

No one is buying cd singles or albums it’s all being down loaded from the internet.

Soon there will be no record shops open.

Bip.

• 3 weeks later...

Bring back the Redifusion shop next door to the old Odeon, anyone remember it, you went downstairs, asked for a record to be played in one of the booths, listened to said record, then did a smart exit from shop - Oh, if only the youth of today did things like that now, the World would be a better place!

• Upvote 1

I remembered going in a record shop round there. Did we have to pay our Redifusion bills in there too? I have a memory of that also

I still have soul singles bought in 1970 from the celler downstairs at SD Arkwright St. 3 for £1 box, a quid was a lot of money in those days, baught me ten pints of Bitter and lime, (Staff Rate) at the Slipper in those days DJ Mick.

While riffling me mums house for hidden treasures I came across a yellow plastic carrier bag with Selecta disc written across it, do you think if I put that very same carrier on eBay would I make my fortune from the sale of it?

Bip.

Ha ha two bidders hey?

You know you want it, so come on you two fight it out you have until Friday and then it goes in the bin.

Bip.

a quid was a lot of money in those days, baught me ten pints of Bitter and lime, (Staff Rate) at the Slipper in those days DJ Mick.

I just had to reply to your post Mick couldn’t believe what you said the first time I read it.

Quote….Bought me ten pints of bitter and lime. Unquote.

Bitter and Lime?

You mean Larger and Lime don’t you?

Not heard of bitter and lime and you buying beer, well I suppose there wasn’t such a thing as a J2O in those days there was Tizer though.

Bip. ;)

When our lord and master and I first went out on the 'Pop' he drank bitter and lime in those far off heady days too

• 6 years later...