Breaston Pub Crawl.

Mix up with the bus timetables last night, thought I would catch the eight o-clock bus to the Hope Pole Beeston. Got to the stop and waited and waited and waited, no bus. Looked at timetable to see the last bus to Beeston Via Long Eaton went at six fifty nine, great I thought, it is now five past eight. Have you heard of anything more ridicules as that, basically if you miss the seven o-clock number five bus you have shot it. The only option open to you is to catch the number fifteen to The Green Long Eaton and then wait for a Derby to Nottingham bus to take you the rest of the way.

Nothing for it but to go to the Nags Head I thought, but wait do I really won’t another night supping expensive tasteless coloured water? NO.

Breaston is only a mile and a half away I shall go there I thought.

The first hostelry you come to after you have walked down Sawley lane and turned onto Willsthorpe road is the Bulls Head, which to my displeasure is an eating pub, but to my surprise had a Bitter on of which I hadn’t tried before namely Jennings Cumberland Ale. At only £2-20p it was a pleasant drink and at that price a refreshing bargain of which I could have happily stayed for more, but no I must venture a little further into Breaston.

Hundred yards down the road I come across the Chequers public house, which is on the same side as the Bulls Head.

Not being put off by the way my pint of Theakston Best Bitter was presented to me,[short pint] I promptly asked for it to be topped up, which the bar person did without question.

Sorry Theakstons but your best bitter is tasteless even though at £2-28p it sounded a bargain.

Next stop The Navigation of which I have been in before, even though it was years ago it hadn’t changed much inside.

There was a beer list of which I didn’t see at first so not seeing the list I ordered a pint of Abbotts, which was just drinkable at £2.38.

Once I had spotted the list I was spoilt for choice, there was Pedigree, Abbotts I have mentioned, Bass and Speckled Hen; unfortunately there were no light Bitters.

So that was that, I had a couple of pints in there accompanied by a large packet of scratching of which I didn’t finish, brought the remains back for a treat for the dog and made my way home in the dark and wet.

Bip. :tease:

holygrailcup2.jpg

The following outlets have pledged to end the quest for the Holy Grail and as a result, we have deemed them to be worthy of the status of Legendary Holy Grail Alehouse.

Yard House Shoreline Village

401 Shoreline Village Dr. Long Beach,

CA 90802 USA

You are right Mick it’s going to be a challenge to find Harvest pale in Sawley as well as in the surrounding villages.

It may turn out to be an impossible dream to find the Holy Grail but I will try never the less.

Read the other day in the Nottingham drinker that the Nags head sells buckets full of Pedigree that it gets delivered in sixty three gallon barrels.

Just don’t see what the fuss is all about, all I can say they haven’t tried HP because if they had they wouldn’t want to drink anything else.

Bip.

• 8 months later...

The quest still goes on after eight months of searching far and wide, well within five miles of Sawley.

Bip.

It is indeed ironic that the only pub to ever sell it (The Nags),

and the only barrel they ever stocked, sold out before you arrived.

(Picks up two coconut shells) "Onward"

It is indeed ironic that the only pub to ever sell it (The Nags),

and the only barrel they ever stocked, sold out before you arrived.

(Picks up two coconut shells) "Onward"

Doesn’t that speak volumes for the popularity of Harvest Pale, one barrel and sold within days of going on sale?

As I have said on numerous occasions Sawley and the surrounding district is pathetic for real ale drinkers. OK thair is I will admit pubs about Sawley that sell cask beers but none of which are brewed locally most of the cask beers have to travel over fifty miles to reach the pub and that’s not good for the environment so we are being reminded at every turn of the ignition key.

I know the landlords hands are tied when it comes to what is available to him as a guest beer but would it hurt Marstons, to have just one local brew for the more concerning drinker who likes his beer not to have chemicals in nor to be pasteurised for safe travelling over long distances?

Bip.

• 4 months later...

It’s been a year since I started this quest to find Harvest Pale or even a light bitter in and around the ghost town of Sawley village.

The Nags head has on a number of occasions had HP in one of it pumps but unfortunately when it was on I wasn’t informed in time to sample a pint before the local knuckle draggers quaff the lot, these are the people who normally would drink Marstons Pedigree.

Bip.

Hey Den, is the "Navigation" in Breaston the one up by the old Derby Canal bridge on Risley Lane? I have driven past it many, many times - but never been in!

The Checkers used to be famous for after-hours drinking!

Didn't there used to be a pub called "The Golden Ball" out that way??

Right on the corner if I recall. Group of us used to drop by there in the mid 60's to enjoy the groups and the beer.

golden ball was at risely....pub still there but under a different name

Are you sure you dont mean the Blue Bell at Risley? Its had a bit of a face change but its still there, under the same name.

The Navagation is certainly still there standing on the corner as it does.

The name of the road escapes me.

Bip.

I'm not sure now, I could have swore it was the Golden Ball, used to have a large ball on the top. Been a long time now, over 40 years!!

It was the "Blue Ball" at Risley - on the corner of Risley lane. On the other corner was the "approved" school, which is now a posh hotel!

We used to go to the Blue Ball on occasion - but we referred to it as the frozen Bo!!ock! :Shock:

It was the "Blue Ball" at Risley - on the corner of Risley lane. On the other corner was the "approved" school, which is now a posh hotel!

We used to go to the Blue Ball on occasion - but we referred to it as the frozen Bo!!ock! :Shock:

I bow to the better memories here.

I don't recall the reform school, although we wasn't on a site seeing tour. Just a group of Lord Robens's apprentices on a pee up!

Were they your locals?

Mine??? No, my local was the Sir Richard Arkwright on Arkwright Street.