Houses at William Crane

Guest Anne

I remember at school we were divided into 'houses'.

At the Wm Crane we had Aspley, Broxtowe, Nuthall and Strelley.

I was in Broxtowe House.

I gather the Wm Crane is no more.

I wonder if Pipewood Camp is still there..I went for a month once and it felt as if I was on another planet.

I was so homesick!

I was scaning through our (Nottstalgia) archives a while ago and came across a thread all about Pipe wood Camp perhaps some one can tell you where I found it

Ian

;)

I'll keep looking Ian..did you ever go to Pipewood?

If you did the memories both good and bad remain with you forever

and ever and ever!!!

It was an experience never to be forgotten. :tease:

No never went (it was probably closed by my generation LOL)

We (Frank Wheldon Comprehensive Carlton) had an outdoor field studies centre at Hollinsclough in Derbyshire .It was a derelict old church/village school when we bought it in 1973 and then we had weekend working parties up there every week for 4 years to rebuild it (parents and kids)

We finished just at the end of the school year in July 1977 ,ready for the summer ,6 ,week long trips to the Derbyshire hills not a parent in sight, only one problem for yours truely,I finished school in June of that year!!!!!!! so after working there (free labour) for 4 years I never got to go thumbsdown

I googled "Pipewood Camp" and came up with this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/21/a7362821.shtml

Several other references, some with pictures too!

Oh..I keep forgetting you're just a young un!!

Ahhh that's a shame..all that hard work and never being able to go.. I think the least they could have done is put a plaque up in your honour after all that free labour!

It sounded like a great project though and I bet you had some fun.

Derbys is great..but you have to watch out for the Yeti.

I did get to go up for the official opening ceremony, Truthfully I hadn't been for a year or so as I was studying for my exams, but it was a magnificent achievement (on such a small budget and limited skills)

By the way Frank Wheldon Houses where

Cavendish

Newstead

Clumber

Sherwood

Welbeck

Wollaton

Rufford

Thorseby

I was in Newstead for my first 4 years then Clumber (which was a 'new' house) for my last year

;)

Is it still used I wonder.

After all that work I would hope it is. Truthfully I do love Derbys.

Hey...for a young un BF..you've got a good memory remembering all those houses.

I can remember the houses at Pipewood...

Hayend

Hartsmere

Chetwyn

Ravenshaw

Brackenhurst..

I was in Hartsmere.

Worrabaat that then! :Fool:

Anne, we used to get food parcels after the war, from a great aunt in America. Sometimes there'd be an outfit for me, but usually food, plus a dollar or 2 [coins] stuck to the inside of the box. We'd get 6/8d for the dollar. [where the heck did that come from in me memory bank?]

I remember at school we were divided into 'houses'.

At the Wm Crane we had Aspley, Broxtowe, Nuthall and Strelley.

Did the houses just apply in Crane Seniors?

Can't recall them in the Juniors, but perhaps I've merely forgotten :Fool:

Cheers

Robt P.

Kath..isn't it funny...it just takes one little jog to restore a memory

you thought you'd forgotten.

6/8d would be a lot of money back then wouldn't it.

Yes Rob..I'm pretty sure the houses were only used in the Crane Seniors.

I can't remember having em in the juniors either.

• 1 year later...

Good morning, there were no houses in the juniors at Crane. I was in Nuthall house when I went into the seniors. Our colour was green, so our tie had green stripes on it. I think the other house colours were: Aspley...yellow, Broxtowe...Red and Strelley..Blue. ( I may have got these wrong)

Each house had a house captain and there was a cup awarded monthly for the house with the most house credits for good work. The houses competed against each other at sports as well. What a very good system.

Can anyone remember the school song? I think the first verse went.... Loved of the fathers long ago were Aspley pleasant meads, now by home and school transformed they serve our greater needs.

The motto on the badge was in Latin which read, 'gladly we serve'.

Cheers, Johnl.

I, also, John, was proud to be in Nuthall, although I lived in Broxtowe.

Great system, and I loved school, especially maths with Mr Dryden.

Oh, those Logrithmic tables .....................and me slide rule.

Really hated History (Mr Potter), Music (with Mr Lamb next door to Mr Drydens), PE and Art. Loved Metalwork as well.

We had a French teacher the year I started, '63, but she left after at the end of term. I was just getting into French but, alas, never took it up again.

What subjects did you like/dislike (anyone?) and how have they shaped your life??

Well what do you know, I was in Nuthall too. The first thing we did in needlework as first year's was to make a cookery apron in our house colour, so mine was green [with a white cap]. If I remember rightly, all the time I was there Aspley won everything, Strelley was always 2nd, Nuthall 3rd and Broxtowe 4th. Be it sports day, house credits, whatever. Remember the 'credit card' where you got credits for good work, behaviour etc and discredits for missed homework, bad behaviour?

Hi Frank

the music teacher when I was there was Mr Banham. I well remember Dryden but Mr Mayfield took us for maths. I used to enjoy english with Mr Johnson and he encouraged us to read and that has stayed with me to this day.

Mr marris was the PE teacher, Mr Childs metalwork, Mr Mitcham woodwork and Mr Benson art. There was also a very flamboyant english teacher called Mr gammons, he usually wore a bow tie.

They had two prefabricated classrooms in the playground. Mr Mason (geography) had one and Mr Dunbar (technical drawing) had the other one.

It was a well run school, the house system worked well and the A, B and C streaming was both fair and effective.

Cheers, Johnl.

Yes, you are right John. It was Mr. Banham. Don't know where Mr Lamb came from - doh!!

Metalwork was also taught by Mr Hardcastle, he had the workshop on the corner, next to Mr Dryden.

I used to love Tech drawing but it didn't 'stretch' me. Seemed too easy, and we never got to take any exams in it.

If I remember right, there was another classroom behind the 2 pre-fabs, but I can't recall what lessons we took in there.

Katy,

I used to go the the girls school on a night time to learn cooking, toward the end of my days there, possibly 3rd and 4th year ('66 & 67). Won a Bronze certificate in one of the competitions. Dead proud I was.

Anyone remember the end of year disco and prize giving?

I won book tokens 2 years on the trot for coming first in class. Had to go up on stage to collect my books (previously selected at the book shop down town - can't remember it's name at the mo). After the prize giving it was disco. Well - music was played. Don't laugh Craig. It was always held at the juniors (North Gate?)

The brick-built classroom behind the tech. drawing room was occupied by a Mr Pointon who taught religious instruction. I had completely forgotten about Mr. hardcastle.

There were also two history teachers that I recall, Mr Jackson (nickname bellyache) and a Mr Prosser .

They didn't have disco's when I was there!

Cheers, john

Here we go again John - delete Mr Potter and insert Mr Prosser. Weird sort of guy if I remember correctly.

Used to have those big dark draw curtains across his classroom windows.

French lessons were taken in the brick built class room adjacent to the kitchen.

We had 2 lessons that weren't in the main building. Cookery was in the Hauser [sp?] hut and needlework was in a classroom right beside the clinic. How I hated that darn clinic and it's medicals.

Here we go again John - delete Mr Potter and insert Mr Prosser. Weird sort of guy if I remember correctly.

Used to have those big dark draw curtains across his classroom windows.

French lessons were taken in the brick built class room adjacent to the kitchen.

Good morning Frank, Mr Prosser was a small chap with a moustache, I don't know if he is still around but I bumped into him a few years ago in Ruddington where he lived. If I remember correctly he wasn't very good at keeping order in the classroom!

Cheers, John.