I bet someone has a map of old St Anns and they could post it.

I'll bet they have!

is there anybody that can remember places like Rose st ,Pole street or was it all a dream

If you lived on one of those roads Wibbs, maybe you can see your actual house here.........

pole.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Just came across this topic relating to the superb Stephen Frears directed documentry "St Anns". I have a copy on DVD, and go back and watch it from time to time.

My dad's family lived on Beacon Street, just off St Anns Well Road. Personally I think Nottingham City Council have a hell of alot to answer for in relation to the destruction of St Anns - this documentry and the questionaire is what cemented the councils decision to plow ahead with a scheme that was far from being the "right" solution. It is interesting to note that a larger number of those that were questioned about the re-development of St Anns were people housed in property owned by the council. There were many who complained at the time about the conditions of the houses they were renting, but it all fell on deaf ears at the council. I mean why would they want an old victorian terrace done up, when they can have the house of the future.

I think it would have been interesting to see how 10 years, even 25 or 40 years later how the people who featured in the documentry got on after the re-development......I think with a couple you'll find that they were rehoused in Clifton and in other areas.

Many thanks Stu, an interesting video. Nice to see the footage of both the old and new St Anns. I did have to laugh at Dunnett when he was asking them questions, he was almost prompting them what to say....Another fine example of Nottingham City Council propaganda.

• 2 months later...

I'm still looking for this film on video or dvd for my mum. We lived in Stan's and my mum was in the film along with two of my brothers (the rest of us were at school) The film makers got one of my brothers to kick his football around in the yard of a neighbour who used her yard to empty her po into. I guess nowadays she would be classed as having mental health problems and would get help.

Hello Mango. The documentry hasn't recieved any official DVD release. I will see if I can get you a copy from my disc - that's if it hasn't been protected. Was your Mother any of the ladies that were interviewed???? It's a great documentry, but with what I've since learnt about the history of St Anns it's also a great piece of propoganda from N.C.C

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Huntingdon St school, 1955-1959, my form master was Mr Spungin, there was also a music teacher called Mr Key.

I lived at 4 Union Cottages, and when we looked through our front room window( which had iron bars ) all we could see was a brick wall which I believe was the rear wall of Hopewells furniture factory or distribution place.., so dark and gloomy on a rainy day.

At the top of the entrance into the cottages was a second-hand furniture shop and a coal merchant, one of these hand the name " Brittles, can't remember if it was the coal merchant or the second-hand furniture shop.

I also worked on a Saturdays for a Mr Tommy Ebb chopping up wood and making them into bundles to sell as firewood. The wood he got/bought he fetched from Player's tobacco factory which he stacked into

the backseat of his Humber Hawk. The workshop he had was a garage like place situated underneath some house's half way up Pea's Hill Rd, St Anns.

Hoping to jog some memories........ anybody ?????