Eric Coates was perhaps the most important composer of symphonic light music in the first half of the twentieth century outside the Viennese sphere. He took the music genre and made it into as bona fide and influential an art form as that created by any member of the Strauss family. He is often regarded as the Mozart of a music world whose generally light emotional expression is colored by splashy orchestration

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Eric Coates lived at the top of Duke St. (up from the Byron cinema) on the left at the junction with Beardall St. There is a blue plaque on the building celebrating this. When I lived in Hucknall, Dr Wallen had his practice there. I have written about Dr Wallen in another thread:

A possibly interesting point is that the same house was used for the practice of Dr OLJ Wallen, one of the early West Indian (black) doctors to qualify and work in England. He told me once that he was in several films that starred Paul Robeson (singer and early black activist) as an understudy and double.