Hello Robert , welcome hope to hear of your memories , Toad of toad hall I loved the story at school and have the book so might just read it again to remind me of when we had the play at school.

If I remember correctly, Nigel Turner was Toad, Roger Hughes was Badger, I was Ratty, but I don't remember who played Mole. Then a year or so later we did Macbeth 'cause that was the "O" level literature Shakespeare play.

Remember it was called a "bilateral" school because it was an early experiment in comprehensives for those of us who clanged our eleven plus.

Was Mole played by a Michael Shepherd? Don't know why that name has come to me as I can't put a face to it! That play was such fun to do wasn't it? I think our drama teacher in those days was Miss Jefferson. I haven't yet found that photo but I'll keep looking as I know I would never have thrown it away.

I can still quote chunks of Macbeth having learnt it for O-level all those years ago!

I don't recognise the name, but I could well have forgotten. I also remember "The History of Mr Polly" by HG Wells was the modern classic for "O" level in 1959. You were perhaps in the same class - 5E?

I also remember going on two school trips, to Amsterdam and Innsbruck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was at Glaisdale from1953 to 1958. Trent House Captain and Ass't' Head Boy.left with GCE's and transferred to High Pavement Grammar

I remember so many of the excellent Teachers who provided a brilliant Educational grounding for later Academic achievements.

have tried hard to trace Valerie Beresford a fellow Pupil over the same period. Does anyone have knowledge of her, or contact details?

A truly great  School in its time...

On 3/24/2019 at 4:54 PM, Bilborough Girl said:

Yes, I was in 5E....although I'd forgotten that was what our O-level class was called; well done you for remembering it! I've sent you a message.

I was also in 5e in 1958. If you were we may well remember each other...

On 3/8/2019 at 8:36 AM, Robert Bacon said:

If I remember correctly, Nigel Turner was Toad, Roger Hughes was Badger, I was Ratty, but I don't remember who played Mole. Then a year or so later we did Macbeth 'cause that was the "O" level literature Shakespeare play.

Remember it was called a "bilateral" school because it was an early experiment in comprehensives for those of us who clanged our eleven plus.

I was the Judge! Great play and ironically a rôle in my later life l do remember you Roger...

On 3/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, Robert Bacon said:

I was there from 1954 to 1959. Castle House. PE with Mr Blenkinsop, English with Dr (Benny) Goodman, science with Mr (mad) Myall. Appeared in school plays - Toad of Toad Hall. It was a happy school.

Robert,

did you attend Beechdale Junior School before moving up?