Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Wasn't there a bit of a toodoo at one time about the amount paid to Terry Wogan for Red Nose day? In fact he was the only celeb paid, but the fee was quite small.....  £1300 an hour!

6 hours ago, MargieH said:

I'm certainly not anti Red Nose Day but I thought the first parts of the programme (I switched off after half an hour or so) were very unfunny despite the presenters pretending they were all having so much fun etc etc.  It was very 'forced' jollity if you know what I mean.  

I too was seriously unimpressed with much of it.  But then I usually am.  I get it.. people are dying.. starving and being bombed into oblivion by all and sundry.

And we can affect this with our vote.  But whatever.. that's not for here..   I switched to something else.  I made my donation. Little children dying from preventable diseases... what a low underhand dirty trick to play on normal people.. they should be ashamed....

Col

• Upvote 1

675   Thanks OZ.  I really am losing it.  I'd even reversed the letters from GYO to YGO.  Glad you could make sense of it.  Pretty self explanatory once you get the letters the right way round.  I know what you mean about the critters.  Everything from Rabbits to Slugs wants a piece of the action.

My garden has not done well the last several years.  Not sure of the cause unless its all the junk floating around in the air these days.  I won't even go there.  Gets a bit disappointing because I always used to have a good crop. 

Not wanting to get political, as we all know that this can be an extremely emotive subject, but the BBC should be totally ashamed of their coverage of the aftermath of the tragic Westminster Bridge incident. All they could seem to do from Friday onwards, was to try and make a martyr of the assailant (I shan't give him the dignity of printing his name) They waffled on about whether or not he was radicalised in prison, or online. A supposed lack of security was endlessly brought up, and everyone else seemed to be blamed other than the perpetrator. Whatever, I couldn't give a toss. It was the poor unfortunate victims I was bothered about. 

Then on Sunday, Diane Abbott and her loathsome toady cohorts were bleating on about how 'Hate Crimes' and Islamophobia will NOT be tolerated at any price, and will be stamped on with the full force of the law. Well my, my, there's a surprise. So much for her sympathy for the victims. We then had that other fickle female waffler, Baroness Wasi supposedly giving her slant on the events, and unbelievably, she proceeded to promote her latest book. 

Then we have the Beebs so called unbiased slant on Brexit, and the unearthing of ex ministers who are well past their sell by date. Blair, Heseltine, Major, Mandy etc.... You've had your day chaps. Lets just get on with it !

We then had extended coverage of the McCanns ! Well, I give up on this one. Trevor Eve and the gang from Waking the Dead would have sussed this case out in twenty minutes !

• Upvote 3

Recently bought a new car, a Toymota, and it had its first full interior clean today, the bl**dy carpets hold on to bits of grass, fluff etc better than any Velcro despite having a 20 gigawatt vacuum cleaner.

Why can't the car companies spend a few extra quid and have carpets that we can easily vacuum.

Yes, the Beeb Red Nose evening was pretty dire, loads of luvvies, old 'celebs' and assorted loonies wanting to get the 'look at me, I'm doing my bit, I care so deeply'. Well, I'm sure lots do, I just get an overwhelming impression of falseness. So I never watch it. BUT the fact is despite it's kitsch, it raises a huge amount of money for worthy causes, so it's got to be a great event. 

I just hope the money gets to it's intended destinations and in full. 

#688.  I too dont want to get political. I shall only say that I must have been watching a different BBC. 

• Upvote 6

Yes, heartfelt words indeed and good to hear. But I wouldn't especially liken Neil to Churchill and what was that 'incredible monologue' comment, just a couple of minutes within a weekend's broadcasts?

7 hours ago, radfordred said:

#689 The bleddy EU banned our vacuums with motors above 1600 watts? 

Good job I voted BRESIT bring our Hoovers back!

We have one of these.  Only has a 1200 watt motor but there is a rather ribald expression for how well it sucks.. which I won't repeat here...  :rolleyes:

It's very light and fairly easy to use.  Also, unlike a much more expensive Dyson we had before.. no part of it has yet broken. At about £100 or so and now about 5 years old.. I can't complain.

Edit.  Sorry, the picture didn't attach.  I'm talking about the Vax Mach Air range of vacuum cleaners...

Col

Re #688. Col, I can only comment on the programmes I saw, and the Andrew Neil show was not one of them. 

I never used to like him, but over the years, I've taken to him considerably. Although his hair is worse than ever. LOL

Andrew Neil is a known Conservative in his personal political views. In fact he's also a former Conservative party worker. That should mean that I disapprove of him because I am very much the opposite, but so long as his interviewing and reporting is balanced I have no problem with him.

I like the 'take no prisoners' attitude he has to interviewing politicians of all colours. He will take politicians apart to get them to justify their position whatever party they are from. He is pretty much as effective as Paxman was at this but I find him rather more likeable and good humoured.

Col

• Upvote 1

radfordred #690

Tell me you are joking. Banning vacuum cleaners with motors above 1600 watts, what for?

Don't tell me it is to save energy. No savings at all if you have to use it twice as long because it does not pick stuff up first time.

Here in Oz we are becoming more and more a nanny state but banning vacuum cleaners???!!!!

• Upvote 3

Loppy, I suspect EU Regs will stay in place until the Brexit Process is completed.  Also, they are by no means all bad regs.

Brew.  I've had a good look around and cannot find any such regulation.  There are regulations which provide for the testing and labelling of Vacuum Cleaners, so that consumers can make an informed choice regarding energy efficiency/consumption.  The testing is all described in the regs etc., and is pretty impenetrable, but it is all there online.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe only 900w machines can gain the 'top'  efficiency rating?

This is quite informative:  https://ec.europa.eu/energy/en/topics/energy-efficiency/energy-efficient-products/vacuum-cleaners

Frankly, I'm more concerned about EU regs which make it difficult for domestic users to buy products such as Coal Tar Soap and Jeyes Fluid, which can now only be got in altered and less effective forms.  I don't think it's only the EU to blame on this though.  I often remark to pharmacists re 'over the counter' medications.. " It's a pity that Govt. has banned the sale of anything that actually works".  They usually agree.

Col

Add to that Col.... Proper effective creosote, bitumastic stuff etc. 

Re vacuum cleaners, surely the most efficient is the one that gets the most muck up for the user, irrespective of power consumption.

Right, what pee's me off........ Constant moaners !  Yep, you got it, I'm only joking !

Ahh.  Creosote. It seems to still be available online for 'professional use'.  Not quite sure what that means.

It really ought to be available on prescription for old folk like me who miss the smell of it alongside old steam railways

The nearest now seems to be Creocote.  There are differing brands, so I wonder if Creocote is some sort of name for a standard formulation, rather than an actual brand name?

I used the Bartoline brand a year or so back to bring three different types of fence panels all to the same colour.  It worked fairly well but it took three or four 5L bottles of it at about £14 each from B&Q to cover 18 panels.

Have just replaced 5 panels and they are all well treated, but the wrong colour.  So I have purchased more Creocote.  This time it is 'Bird Brand' from Buildbase and the sales girl apologised for it being 'expensive' at about £10 per bottle.  She obviously hasn't been to B&Q.  Only fit for bargains on bigger items.  They 'screw' you for screws.  :)

Anyway, I have observed that the oily bits of wood I used for years as blocks when working under the car, never show signs of rot or fungus, despite being left outside a lot.  So, I have a new scientifically developed formula where I add one large Heinz Bean tin full of old engine oil to each paint kettle of Creocote.

We shall see what happens.. 

I shall probably get arrested.

• Upvote 1

Never tried Creocote, but I've about a pint of old creosote and lamp oil which I stand any fence posts in. It covers about the bottom foot or so,  and is sufficient for my needs. A year ago, I replaced some that had been encased in those metal receptacles and they were still very solid after about 14 years. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...