Things that pee you off...

And another thing.....:angry:... Jeyes Fluid was used by gardeners for generations.  For general cleaning and even as a 'drench' for preventing various diseases etc., around young seedlings of food plants.  Jeyes are no longer allowed to promote such use.  Armillatox was sold specifically for controlling Honey Fungus (Armillaria Mellitus or thereabouts..)  I don't think Armillatox is available anymore.

But as well as Honey Fungus, which killed my lilac but seems mostly around my Buddleia Globosa, I also now have 'Clitocybe Nebularis'  ( Clouded Agaric) fungi growing in the same border.  I have an awful feeling I might accidentally spill several gallons of Jeyes Fluid solution on that patch of ground.. :Shock: ... that would be awful.. but accidents do happen...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Nitromors is that still available? Caustic Soda crystals too. That was always useful for clearing a blocked sink. 

Not wanting to get political, but when we're out of the EU, we may be able to get such commodities ! 

I've recently heard that male urine around rhubarb enhances growth, but I'm not sure about the taste. 

No one I know can verify it though !

• Upvote 1

A good cleanser for metal work which we used at Plessey was Carbontetrafluroide. It was very effective, but subsequently banned and replaced with a much weaker and vastly inferior replacement. 

Creocote update!

Yesterday I applied my 'scientifically developed' mix of Creocote and old engine oil to a single fence panel before it started raining.

Today I very scientifically threw half a milk bottle of water at the treated panel.  The water ran off and 'beaded'.  Ithen threw the same quantity of water at a panel only treated by the maker.  The water sank in and wetted the timber.

So my mixture works...

But would it be just as good without the engine oil?  I don't know and I don't care.  The oil makes the creocote less liable to fall off the brush, makes it go further and saves me taking it to the ti... err Recycling Facility.  :)

Col

• Upvote 1

I've used old engine oil mixed with diesel before with brilliant results,the stuff you get these days only seems to protect the fence panels/sheds etc for one year then it needs doing again,as for the carbontetraflouride,we used it a lot to clean off electrical components,we have also used it as a rub on stiff or arthritic joints,seems to soak in and give relief,however it can also induce heart attacks so steer well clear

Rog

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

I've recently heard that male urine around rhubarb enhances growth, but I'm not sure about the taste. 

No one I know can verify it though !

I just put custard on my rhubarb.

• Upvote 2

DJ

In a blog last year, European Commission spokesman Marlene Holzner wrote: “Vacuum cleaners will use less energy for the same performance - how much dust they pick up. This will help consumers to save money and make Europe as a whole use less energy.”

The average power of a vacuum on the market in Europe at the time was 1,800 watts. This will have to be halved within the next three years, as the limit of 1,600 watts will be reduced to just 900 watts from September 2017.

OK. I can't argue with that Brew.  You got me.  But I agree very strongly with the basic premise that pure wattage is not a clear predictor of cleaning efficiency.  As I said above, for a vacuum cleaner, our old Dyson makes a very good fan heater!

Col

This is a good Topic,

but I have just sat here for about half an hour reading some post's

Come on get a life,

Life is for living 

Don't let the bas???? grind you down!  as one of our members say's

• Upvote 1

Re #717, that's what I meant Phil...... Senior moment !

• Upvote 1

DC you're quite correct. As an ex electrical engineer I know that wattage has bugger all to do with efficiency. If your Dyson makes a good fan heater then it's an indication that it is not particularly efficient and is using a fair portion of it's consumption to generate heat, much like incandescent bulbs.  Only 2% of a 100W lamp produces light, the rest is heat.

Indeed!  And I think that what with LED lights etc, we have both increased the longevity and the efficiency of light 'bulbs'.  It seems to me the process is ongoing in all areas of energy use, as it finally dawns on everyone (well.. except Donald Trump  ;) ) that we cannot just keep on increasing the old inefficient ways.

Cars, appliances, lighting, TV's etc., etc. are all more efficient and cleaner than in the past.

I have to admit to strong nostalgia for both steam engines and coal mining.  I still think as a small country we could be energy efficient and independent by using coal, with the huge caveat that we would have to develop effective and efficient methods of scrubbing the and CO2 out of the combustion products. I'm sure it is 'doable', but would those in charge be prepared to bear the cost?

Col

I guess that as it is the first day of the month, or end of the first quarter or something my so called "smart" TV has decided to update itself with all the new digital channels that have become available since it last did an update. I now have a foreign language radio station and two useless shopping channels ( do people really watch this drivel?) that now have to be edited out of the program memory. If they are so "smart" why can't they be programmed to ask if we want the updates. So much crap so little time to watch it.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I guess that as it is the first day of the month, or end of the first quarter or something my so called "smart" TV has decided to update itself with all the new digital channels that have become available since it last did an update. I now have a foreign language radio station and two useless shopping channels ( do people really watch this drivel?) that now have to be edited out of the program memory. If they are so "smart" why can't they be programmed to ask if we want the updates. So much crap so little time to watch it.

I suppose it might be something in the 'Set Up' menu that you can switch on or off.  My Smart TV ( Panasonic E6) just throws up an on screen message every week or so when I switch it on.  It Just says 'New Channels Found' and then gives the option of ignoring ( which I usually do) or updating.  The update takes three or four minutes.  It's at that point where I usually look at the list of several million channels of utter drivel and say to myself.  I really must edit the Channel List ... maybe later.....

In reality it's not much of an issue, because I just select the 'Order Channels by Region' or somesuch option and it sorts them out in order using the best/nearest transmitters. ( I don't have a cable TV feed yet and only have the free channels)  So I get BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and BBC4 all in the first ten or so channels on the list.  This makes a quick scan of the programme Guide fairly simple.

I reckon the vast majority of our viewing is BBC1/2 and 4, with the odd bit of ITV if there's anything worth seeing.  Also find odd things of interest on 'Yesterday' and a couple of the film channels.  Mrs Col watches a couple of Sewing Channels where she learns new patchwork and sewing techniques and gets relieved of cash in exchange for fabric, yarns and exotic templates of all kinds.  I don't mind.  It's her money and anyway it encourages her to disappear to the spare bedroom to do her sewing.. Then I get to play music.. or rule the TV Remote!!  :yahoo:

Col

• Upvote 1

Thanks DJ360,

As Australia is so big we generally do not have regional options. All signals for Adelaide come from the transmitters at Mt Lofty. Other regional SA stations are over 200 miles away and too weak for the aerial to pick up and thus don't bother us.

When "Her Indoors" has finished watching Liverpool and Everton live I'll have a fiddle with the settings menu to see if we have those options.

The good news is that we put our clocks back tonight so we get an extra hour of our excellent overnight TV viewing Yay!:yahoo:

• Upvote 1

Just  out of interest, do you know of  a TV Court Reporter called  Sarah Farnsworth?  She's on ABC I think.  Was brought up in our street and emigrated with her Mum, Dad and Sister in about 1996.  She's done well for herself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sarah-farnsworth/2804112

Col

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...