Things that pee you off...

DJ360

News coverage in Australia tends to be very parochial and state based and as Sarah is based in Melbourne Victoria some 480 miles from Adelaide the only times we in SA would hear of her is any Victorian news items that are major enough to be of national or SA interest.

Despite us being one country geography, distances and politics often make me think we are 6 countries (states) and two provinces (territories).

Our TV only gives you the option of turning updates on or off. I have now turned it off as like you we are very selective in which channels we watch and generally only watch the ABC and SBS. The ads on commercial TV annoy me intensely and if we do find anything worthwhile on it we record it and fast forward thru the ads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

DJ360 #727:

A plan was proposed to use coal for a super power station in Scotland, using an old oil well as a carbon sink.  It would have meant clean coal technology, using local fuel, whilst providing local people with meaningful employment.  The Scottish Government turned down the plan because it was not "Renewable" energy.  We now face an uncertain future of intermittent electricity generation, using wind turbines as the main source of supply.   The feckin' world''s gone bonkers.

• Upvote 3

Especially that bloke who does 'Click'................i don't know what he's talking about anyway................

Blokes who have two surnames!

& women FLY, don't forget the women !

The same with kids with two hyphenated christian names, i.e. Tarquin-Bailey. Kelly-May etc. etc. Usually from typical chav families out for the day from Aspleh.

• Upvote 1

Harvey is a surname, as is Dixon. Fraser, Morley, Marley, Conway, Grant etc........ I blame the stupid illiterate parents ! 

"I blame the stupid illiterate parents !" Exactly FLY. Was in Lloyds Bank in Bulwell at lunchtime & a young ? mother walked in with her unruly & noisy   SEVEN kids ! Talk about bedlam, screaming & shouting & jumping all over the customer seats & that was the mother !!

• Upvote 2

The kids with hyphenated surnames usually have parents who are not, and will probably never be, married.  What's the world coming to eh?!!! It wasn't like that in my day smile2

• Upvote 2

In those days, folk with hyphenated surnames were the upper classes !

• Upvote 1

Up until the age of about 10 years I thought I had an hyphenated name until I realised my name wasn't really Bo££ocks-Roger

Rog

• Upvote 4
9 hours ago, DaveN said:

People on t.v. (mainly reporters) who can't talk about or describe anything without waving their hands and arms all over

When my mum used watch people on t.v waving their arms around when talking she would say " if they had to sit on their hands they would be dumb".

3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

The kids with hyphenated surnames usually have parents who are not, and will probably never be, married.  What's the world coming to eh?!!! It wasn't like that in my day smile2

About twenty years ago I had a friend who said she didn't see why she should take her fiance's surname when they got married, and anyway why shouldn't he take HER surname........ so they decided to hyphenate the two names when they married.  

• Upvote 1

Well that's a new slant on the situation. I've not encountered that one before !

Our Dutch daughter-in-law has never used her married name . They married in Las Vegas ( so assume it's a legal marriage ! ) We knew nothing about the marriage 'til  after the event !

She has always stuck to her maiden name .

Grandaughter has a hyphenated name because of this . Doesn't seem to bother our son , so not much point us kicking up a fuss .

Wonder if social media as anything to do with not changing your name? How will your old school mates & mates, ex-lovers find you on FACEBOOK if you'd changed it? :P

Double-barrell surnames arouse because the wife's Fathers name was more prestigious than the husbands trading power.

#749 Here in Italy women keep their maiden names. My ID is in my maiden name and is very confusing  when I use my married name. I no longer have a british passport, an ID is easier to carry.

18 minutes ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Fly2 #741.

Strange if Harvey is a surname why was I christened as Colin Harvey surname in 1946?

Well, you can't have been named after the Everton footballer Colin Harvey as he was only two years old at the time.

This all reminds me of the 'William' stories by Richmal Crompton where one of his older brother's friends is called Jameson Jameson, and we are told that 'his parents had perpetrated on him the supreme practical joke of giving him his surname for a Christian name'.

Few here:

Humbert Humbert  ( Lolita)

Major Major Major Major  (Catch 22)

Many more here: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_reduplicated_names

:)

Col

On 13/04/2017 at 0:33 PM, DaveN said:

People on t.v. (mainly reporters) who can't talk about or describe anything without waving their hands and arms all over

I'm not generally too bothered by that if it isn't too extreme.

However, one presenter who I can no longer watch is Dan Cruickshank.  He has massive hands, which he either waves in your face, or uses to caress, stroke and fondle every object in sight in a most annoying and almost obscene way.  Add to that his continual use of a conspiratorial whisper, rather than proper speech, and you might be forgiven for assuming he was narrating some erotic novel, with illustrative mime.. rather than talking about architecture.

Pity. because his programmes are otherwise usually quite interesting.

Col

Re # 754 and 755

We have a niece on my husband's side of the family whose name is Harriet.  She's married to a chap with the surname Harry (pretty unusual in itself). She's decided to slot her maiden name in there so she's not just called Harriet Harry. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...