Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

When I'm riding my trike down the cycle/footpath between our two villages there are notices at the beginning and end asking cyclists to use a bell to warn pedestrians of your presence,when I see a pedestrian in the distance I start to ring my bell about 40-50 meters before I get to them,I keep ringing until they look round or move to one side,9 times out of 10 I don't get a response so at the last minute I give them a blast on the 115db airzound hooter,the usual response is "I wondered what that ringing was" or they have them earplug thingy's stuck in their ears listening to music completely oblivious to their surroundings,

Rog

• Upvote 1

Cold Callers.... Door Knockers ! 

Sitting warm and comfy the other afternoon and two smartly dressed chaps in suits with the obligatory ID card around their necks inform me that I've some deteriorating bricks around my damp proof course, and they need seeing to urgently. 

I told them that it was ok, as I'd had a browse several weeks ago. They informed me of the dangers, and wasn't I bothered about the heating efficiency, dangers and upkeep of the house. I replied that it was my house, and I'll see to any necessary repairs as I deem necessary. The other one then chimed in about insulation, global warming and general upkeep of our properties.

I politely informed him that I try to have the best house and garden on the row, and it's my decision how and when I get things done. I said I was busy in the garden, and cheerio.

Damn me, I was just going out later, and a chap walked up the drive although he saw me getting in the car. I opened the window, as he stuffed a glossy sheet into my hand informing me that my guttering, wooden fascias and gables needed seeing to. He said his firm were doing some work on the street behind me, and thought it his duty to examine the immediate area. I informed him there were no leaks, and although the woodwork looks tatty, it's solid.

He then said that he could inspect the house and give me a quote. I again politely informed him I was in a hurry, and cheerio.

I detest my 'Castle ' being invaded by these characters, but I reluctantly appreciate that they are only doing their job. 

Grrrrrr !

• Upvote 2

Some time ago I had one these guys call and introduced himself as representing a cavity wall insulation company authorised to offer a Gas board subsidised quote. I rang the Gas Board and yes it was kosher. OK so far so good, £210 for insulating a detached house seemed a good deal so went for it. They said that they will drill holes through the outer brick about a 1.5 metres apart in a grid pattern and fill it with insulation and once inside it meets up. Two hours of horrendous drilling, a truck pumping the stuff in and we're finished. The problem is I'm the sort that checks these things and had access to an infra-red camera (black and white picture at that time). The bloody house looked like a Dalmation dog!. I could clearly see the round patches where there was insulation and even bigger areas where there was none. I did complain but it turned out the machine was low on material so they had doubled the drill spacing thinking it would still do the job, (how the hell does that work?).

There's nothing we can do now they said except try again but the special offer has ended so I will have to pay for a survey and the full cost of redoing it.

After several imprecations calling into question his parentage I refused and threatened legal action but of course it was just hot air, I never did and I still have a house with partial cavity wall insulation. Caveat emptor.

Caveat emptor.

Or even 'Cavity Empty'  ......  :)

...sorry...

Col

• Upvote 2

I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like you had a good case against 'em, Brew.  Seems to me they should be required to do the job properly at the agreed upon price.  In fact they ought to use a heat detecting camera to make sure it was right.  Most customers probably don't have access to one or would never think of it.  From my days in the electrical trade I remember that cavity walls were often so full of rubble you'd have a hard time pouring water through 'em.

You're probably right Loppylugs but it was quite awhile ago, I suppose if I'm honest I chickened out.

It's a shame Brew that you chickened out. This really anger's me how people can get away with doing a rubbish job, and us having to pay for it, have you thought of looking into small claims court, you file a complaint and then you go and put your case for ward then the other side put there case forward, and the judge (not sure if it is a judge) but they decide if you have a case and will tell the other person what they owe you. I sure  that their is an limit.

Look into it you have nothing to lose.

The Nottingham Post website, on the odd occasion when I want to read an article, the stupid site comes up with a survey. Recent examples are, which of the following city centre shops have you used recently? Or which of the following is your electorate? and it takes for ever loading and waiting for "skip the survey" You stupid bl**dy site I am in Australia I am not likely to be able to answer any of the questions you ask. Is it quicker to if you put in any old  answer?

Just lately I've noticed more & more eating establishments advertising "Kids Eat Free", well I'm a firm believer that in this world there is no such thing as free lunch. someone is paying for these free meals & it's not the eating establishment being so generous either. It's every adult paying for these free meals by increased cost for their meals.

Hang on a minute, why should I subsidise young Katie-Mai or Jayden-Bailey for a freebie ? Let the parents of these offspring pay for their meals out of their child benefit payments, not me.

• Upvote 3
20 hours ago, catfan said:

Slug & Lettuce Corner House/Trinity Square this Bank Holiday Monday around 3pm, only letting you in if you where eating, you could have drinks only if you sat outside, but that was full, I would class the Slug as a pub chain not a restaurant? Will this become the norm for pubs flogging snap?  

I would be hard pushed to frequent the place at the best of times. If all I wanted was a drink, I go to the Blue Bell over the way.

Ha, ha, RR....... At least there's no kids in the place. It's ok just for a pint or two before a gig at the Concert Hall.

Either that or Langtrey's. 

It's also definitely NOT a place to take a 'lady'.

5 hours ago, radfordred said:

Slug & Lettuce Corner House/Trinity Square this Bank Holiday Monday around 3pm, only letting you in if you where eating, you could have drinks only if you sat outside, but that was full, I would class the Slug as a pub chain not a restaurant? Will this become the norm for pubs flogging snap?  

I could see this happening red, much to my utter dismay.

• Like 1

Anonymous members !

Having the last drop of wine out of the fridge, and finding no one has put another bottle in.

Even worse you find out that's there not a bottle to put in.

Another trip to "Lidls"

• Upvote 2

Football fixtures and kick off times ! I'm ok with lunchtime ko's, but which demented retard came up with teatime ko's for League 2 matches yesterday evening. The travelling fans must be sick and tired of being taken for mugs.

Just what time in the early hours of this morning did these fans arrive home?

Just look at the distances between the teams.

Colchester v Yeovil.

Exeter v Carlisle for Gods sake !

Grimsby v Plymouth.

Newport v Notts.  Ridiculous planning all round !

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Football fixtures and kick off times ! I'm ok with lunchtime ko's, but which demented retard came up with teatime ko's for League 2 matches yesterday evening. The travelling fans must be sick and tired of being taken for mugs.

Just what time in the early hours of this morning did these fans arrive home?

Just look at the distances between the teams.

Colchester v Yeovil.

Exeter v Carlisle for Gods sake !

Grimsby v Plymouth.

Newport v Notts.  Ridiculous planning all round !

The reason is the demands of TV scheduling. Sky normally show a live game at 5.30pm on Saturdays, so as it was the final day of the season they all had to kick-off at that time so teams involved in promotion or relegation wouldn't have an unfair advantage.

TV money talks these days, I'm afraid!

• Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...