Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Live TV coverage and the formation of the Premiership has been the downfall and near ruination of the English game.

• Upvote 2

Re 807, I appreciate that MI, but what was wrong with a 3 pm ko, or don't show a match yesterday. 

TV companies don't give a flying f**k about the fans. Carlisle away at Exeter for instance. I bet their fans weren't home until daybreak !

• Upvote 1

Apparently the FA, Premier League and Football League have always refused  permission for games to be shown live on TV if they kick-off between 2.45pm and 5.15pm inclusive (the FA Cup Final being the only exception in years gone by). This is so as not to affect attendances at matches at the traditional time of 3pm.

Hence live TV games on Saturdays kick-off either earlier or later than those times.

They would have wanted to show a match from League 2 yesterday due to it being the last day of the season with promotion or relegation issues resting on the outcome. This means larger viewing figures for them.

It doesn't matter what sport you look at, as soon as the big money gets involved things deteriorate. I am not saying that sportsmen should not earn a reasonable living, but today's levels are ridiculous. When I started going to football matches I had the privilege of watching people like Jimmy Greaves, George Best, Bobby Charlton and Denis Law. They provided good entertainment but got nowhere as much as today's prima Donna's. As soon as the money men got involved all the sportsmanship went and we are treated to a performance that should require an Equity card.

• Upvote 3

In Oz we could not even listen to the Forest game via the web even though it was being broadcast on the Beeb and radio Nottingham as "this broadcast is not available on platforms in your area" or some other guff that stopped us listening live.

Had to put up with the next to useless text updates. WTF...  I am in Australia I am not likely to be going to the match am I. Probably more likely to be some kind of licensing thing.

The government here are banning TV betting advertising during sporting events before the watershed at 8:30 pm and for 5 minutes before and after the event. What is the betting that these sports will now start at later to try and get around thy ban.

The sporting codes are squealing like stuck pigs as are the TV stations that have forked out exorbitant amounts of cash for the rights based on advertising incomes.

Like Woody I am not impressed with the "actors" who roll around in agony after the slightest tap and miraculously recover after a drink of water or the blatant obstruction that goes unpunished at any corner or free kick in which the ball goes into the penalty area.

• Upvote 1

Oztalgian try using a VPN to watch out of geographical TV etc. I regularly use one to watch stuff in the US, it's really easy to setup. The only downside is there can be a degree of 'lag' that can make the stream stutter, but it's not often that happens. The way I stop that is to start the programme and then press pause, let the stream download (watch the progress bar) and when it's an inch or so press play and watch with no lag.

Advantages include watching US TV series before they get here and the Danish crime series that are shown on the BBC with sub titles I watch with English dialogue.

• Upvote 1

Irritating  little 'men' such as Arthur Askey, Charlie Drake, Captain Mannering types, Norris from Corrie etc. I can't abide them !

I think it stems from a very officious uncle I had, who was Captain Mannering to a T. 

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just had a lovely long weekend in Kent, and to say that it was a BH weekend, the traffic was very reasonable.

HOWEVER, on Thursday evening travelling south on the M1, the standard of driving suddenly deteriorated greatly from the M25 onwards. Drivers darting between lanes and giving no indication whatsoever. Last  second drivers who overtake, then suddenly cut you up in order to take a left slip road. Others who leave it even later and plough through the grit and rubble over the white line blocked area. When on a road advising you to leave two chevrons between cars, suddenly change lanes and fill the gap, thereby forcing others to brake sharply. Twerps who overtake on the inside, twerps only 10 feet from my boot even though I'm doing 70 ! Idiots who race down a slip road and then proceed to cut across every lane in order to access the fast lane. When in slow traffic, folk who constantly change lanes in order to be one car length in front. People who straddle two lanes, and worst of all, those who straddle double white lines. Horrific!

Overall, the standard of driving was appalling, and I'm amazed there weren't several major pile ups. 

Mobile phone company where you can no longer speak to a human being.  Can't even e-mail one.

Stupid window pops up where you can supposedly chat to a representative.  So you type in your question and the answer comes back with a list of possibilities such as "pay your bill".  I think I know how to do that.  Neither do I want a conversation with a computer.  I resisted the temptation to type in something rude and logged off.

What's the matter with this crazy society?   I'm getting increasingly sick of it. thumbsdown

• Upvote 1

Had a problem with the Internet yesterday ,phoned virgin,it was press  1 for this  2 for that and so on.Then was told they had checked and there wasn't a fault?

So phoned again and was put through to someone , I couldn't  understand a word they were saying ,so I handed the phone to my daughter as I thought it must be my hearing ....but she struggled to understand them,there was also a lot of background noise like a crowd cheering.

Packaging really pi$$es me off. Just this morning I thought I would have some fruit on my cereal and having no fresh on hand having been away for the week thought I'd open one of those plastic jars of three fruit mix.

First issue undoing the plastic cap, almost sliced my thumb on the sharp edge of the anti tamper tab that remains after you have unscrewed the top. I then found the little silver tabs that you are supposed to use to peel off the seal on the lid, no way could I do that as I could not get any grip on it so I thought I would just pierce the top with the handle of my spoon, no bl**dy way. I resorted to a sharp knife and had to push very hard to get it through the seal and in doing so squirted some of the syrup and the fruit all over the kitchen bench top. By then I had given up on heating healthy and had some perfectly packaged product, eggs with bacon straight off the slicer and wrapped only in greaseproof paper.

• Upvote 2

Just think of all the exercise you had trying to undo everything,thats got to be good for you

Rog

Supermarket self-service checkouts, Why? Am I going to get a slice of the savings? NO so bleddy well put more proper checkouts operating. Create employment not reduce

it !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I refuse to use the self checkout lines, Mick.  I will not encourage it.  I don't work for them.  Sometimes we've just got to take a stand even in such a small way.  Let 'em know we don't want their rotten self serve Checkouts.

• Upvote 1

Scruffy gardens ! When out walking, or travelling on the upper deck of a bus, and I detest seeing scruffy and neglected gardens. 

I'll make no mention of scrap cars, old caravans or abandoned furniture. 

Some folk just have no pride whatsoever !

Some gardens get neglected because the owner/tenant is unable to look after their garden anymore die to ill health, age etc. Having said that there is absolutely no excuse for scrap cars, caravans & kids giant trampolines , slides etc.either I often see expensive kids toys strewn all over gardens, this is the great "unwashed" at it's best, easy come, easy go culture , never had to work for their stuff.I.e. Benefit Britain !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, the 'great unwashed'. Gardens like Jackie Pownalls yard, but 15, 16, and 17 reg cars outside. Merc's, Range Rovers, BMW's (ugh) Porsche's, various other big 4x4s, and near me, even a Maserati for goodness sake !

Spent most of the morning in Arnold............now Bulwell is not the best for smart dressers.........but Arnold seemed even worse,....i don't mean we should dress in 3 piece suits or the ladies as if they are going to Ascot............but there is such a thing as 'smart casual'..........went in the 'costa coffee' in Arnold and saw men of retirement age wearing 'flip flops' and showing their bare ugly 'pasties' wearing shorts that have never seen a washer.......with food and drink stains down their T-shirts,you could tell they had got out of bed put the neareset things to hand on,not shaved or even combed their hair.............and some of the women were'nt much better in their leggings with exposed back-sides,.........no it ain't just Bulwell.

Plus Arnold did'nt have that friendly feel,saw no smiley faces or heard friendly ey-ups,............such a difference from Bulwell,where i headed to for me Lunch,.........got insulted a couple of times but with a smile...........Arnold Town 0...Bulwell Town 6..........:wacko:

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Yes, the 'great unwashed'. Gardens like Jackie Pownalls yard, but 15, 16, and 17 reg cars outside. Merc's, Range Rovers, BMW's (ugh) Porsche's, various other big 4x4s, and near me, even a Maserati for goodness sake !

And the requisite Blue Badge on display too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...