Things that pee you off...

When I was a kid, I used to think that multiculturalism only existed south of the Trent, and diversity was a visit to the Meadows !

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

I left the sprinkler on, soaking some areas of turf that I'd laid over the last weekend.

Lo and behold, there's some holes in it already thanks to squirrels and  blackbirds. Little sods !

Went to the dentist the other day and as usual things were running late. Why is it that parents allow their children to run riot in waiting rooms?. The parent in question was more concerned with activity on her mobile than what her two little horrors were up to. They found the water dispenser to start with, the eldest paying five visits to it and the younger one making more noise than I thought was humanly possible with a cup of water. They then decided to start kicking two balloons about as if they were in a field. It was a good job the dentist was not checking my blood pressure because it would have been sky high. Just because  some parents can't be bothered to control their children it doesn't mean the rest of us should have to put up with them. 

• Upvote 2

You sure you weren't in yer local Wetherspoons ? Welcome to "think of the children" no discipline, let the kids run riot, ruin pub atmosphere in 21st century Britain. etc. etc.

• Like 1

When visiting relatives and seeing a cup, dish or bowl full of used tea bags. Utterly disgusting !

Also, a discoloured teaspoon in a saucer that has been used for ages and never had a scourer used on it.

Surely it doesn't take much to bin the tea bags and rinse the spoon after each use.

That reminds me, I'm off to see the outlaws in a week or two !

• Upvote 2

Another phrase  totally overused by the Guardianistas, Luvvies, tree hugging do gooders and traitorous lefty pinkos at the BBC is 'Hate Crime '. What utter crap. ALL crime is a hate crime, whether it's violence, robbery, sexual, fraud or whatever. 

Why is it worse if I hit a person of a darker hue, a different sexual orientation, a different religion ? Utter madness !

• Upvote 2

I couldn't agree more FLY. Typical of today's PC brigade. Heard a new one the other day, where a person is of mixed race, used to be half caste is now DUAL HERITAGE ! Whatever next ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We're ALL dual heritage for goodness sake. Romans, Normans, Celts, Danes, Vikings, Goths, Jutes, Vandals, Druids.

Just when will this stupidity end and we wake up and come to our senses ?

Also, the other day, some half witted news reader informed the population that it was .... Wait for it ! ..... National Standing on Your Hands Day. You what !

The worrying thing is, that some over educated, oxygen wasting, over paid useless article is getting damn good money for thinking up this crap, and who's paying for it ?...... You got.it, US. As dad would say 'It makes you want to spit ' 

• Upvote 4

It's getting crazier everywhere, guys.  Over here they are busy destroying any statues of the Confederate era as well as removing the confederate flag from buildings.  It might OFFEND someone.  Give me a break.  I am not in favor of slavery it was not a shining period in American history, but I was not responsible for it, neither was anyone living today.  It is a fact of history.  Those who support this madness should remember that those who forget history are likely to repeat it.  

• Upvote 1

I've told you before loppy, the south will rise again ! Maybe not in our lifetime, but it will, believe me.

Its the same here with any paintings, ornaments or artefacts from the Nazi regime during WW2. People want them destroyed. Why ?  We bend over backwards to protect any Roman, Saxon or Norman artefacts, but they came here to kill us and plunder our    country.

Over 50 odd years ago, a good friend of mine who was an avid collector of military objects,  gave me a Hitler Youth Movement knife. It was a beautifully made thing and I'd never any leanings towards Nazism, but just liked it. I took it camping in 64, but had it confiscated by the boys in blue after a misunderstanding !Yes, I was charged with various offences too I might add.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

It's getting crazier everywhere, guys.  Over here they are busy destroying any statues of the Confederate era as well as removing the confederate flag from buildings.  It might OFFEND someone.  Give me a break.  I am not in favor of slavery it was not a shining period in American history, but I was not responsible for it, neither was anyone living today.  It is a fact of history.  Those who support this madness should remember that those who forget history are likely to repeat it.  

Well said, Loppy. The last sentence should be incised in large letters in public places!

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid that those in power throughout time have had amazingly short memories. Hence today's worldwide stupidity, greed, aggressiveness and power mad situations. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, catfan said:

#866. Good point loppy but lets have less of the "guys" please !smile2

Duh!!!!  Sorry mate.  Force of habit.  At least I don't say it to the ladies. :biggrin:

I can't edit it now or I would rephrase it to 'Gentlemen." ;)

• Upvote 2

868  Sorry you lost the knife Fly.  Seems to be the way things are going.

The sad part here is that many off the statues were of men who were great army men in their own right.  Further to that, although I am no expert on American history from what little I have read I gather that the civil war was not even so much about slavery.  Rather, economic issues between the dirt poor South and some of the wealthy industrialists up North.  I stand to be corrected on that if necessary.  As well as all this, Mrs. Loppy who was born here, says that many of the slaves fought for the south.

Seems like a lot of wars ultimately come down to economics with the banks financing both sides. :rolleyes:

On a lighter note, July 4th is on Tuesday.  I don't think as a loyal Brit/Canadian I should even be celebrating that.  Maybe make Mrs. Loppy a hamburger anyway.  No fireworks for this guy though.  Save that for Nov 5th.  LOL.

• Upvote 4

Loppy, have a quick peep at the topic 'Why we hate the British' post #41. That's my view in a nutshell.

• Upvote 1

873. I agreed with you then, Fly and I still do.

As always the winners tend to write the history.  I am not defending Hitler or Nazism, but most of what I have read and heard about ww2 was written by the allies.  I do not remember anything at all being taught about it in school.   We were just the good guys and the only good German was a dead one.    I have great respect for the many fine men who gave their lives in two world wars, but I'm sure there were many equally decent blokes on the other side who gave their lives too.  Over the years I've learned the phrase 'if you want to get to the truth follow the money.'

• Upvote 3

The winners reap the rewards as they say. It's the poor old foot troops that suffered most.

I always say that not every German was a Nazi, neither was every Confederate soldier a slave owner. 

However, the Japs ! ......... Now that's a different story!

• Upvote 2

There's nothing wrong with Germans. Heinrich Heine, Wilhelm Muller, Beethoven, Schiller,  Nietzsche, Brahms, Mendelssohn and of course Johann Sebastian Bach. All brilliant minds. Every country throws up the odd barm pot now and again. The thing to do is to avoid following the herd.

• Upvote 1

Agree with you Jill.  Just didn't want to drag poor old JSB and Beethoven into this one. :rolleyes:.   Germany has produced some great and decent minds over the years.

Problem seems to be that the'barm pots' manage to rise to the top once in a while.

Not going there.  The thread will get labeled political.  All I would say is, don't believe everything the media tells you.  There are a few barm pots on there too.

• Upvote 1

I spent a lot of time in Germany with the BAOR, One thing I remember very clearly was sitting in a pub chatting to some Germans among them was a elderly gent. He explained it like this "Yes most of us knew about the atrocities, where I lived I could smell it, but did I say anything, no way never otherwise I and my family would have been in the same camp." Just about says it all I think.

• Upvote 4

Machines that go "beep" really p*ss me off

The microwave that beeps 4 times to tell you that it has finished and then continues to beep if you don't open the door and take out what it was that you had in there.

The fridge that beeps if you leave the door open too long. Hardly long enough to get the milk out.

The freezer section of the fridge that has an even more insistent beep when you are trying to find what you want.

The hard wired smoke alarm that beeps if its back up battery is going flat (On second thoughts probably not a bad idea)

The washing machine or dryer beeping to tell me they have finished, as if I care

Not to mention the car where just about everything that has a warning beeps or chimes at you.

• Upvote 3
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...