Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Don't feel bad Lizzie.  Late wife always called her folks Mummy and daddy.  I thought it was quite upper claaaass at the time because I always called me Mam, me Mam.  mom seems to be a very North American thing and I only use it when talking to the natives so they can understand me. :biggrin:

I called my mother mam but it wasn't said in a way that rhymes with jam but it tailed off into silence - a bit like the noise of a sheep (but beginning with "m", obviously) and then reduced to an almost silent "m" at the end.

When speaking of my mother, though, it was mi-mam. It did rhyme with jam then.

• Like 1

My mum was always 'mummy' and then 'mum' as I grew a bit older.  Thinking about it I never heard the word 'mam' from anyone when I was young.  

Not that the terminology matters.   They were still - hopefully - that person who looked after your daily needs more than anyone else.   I don't mean to forget the dads, but they weren't usually around in the daytime to look after you as they were working or absent for other reasons.

• Like 2

In the 50s always thought Mum was only said by Southerners.............nobody at Padstow school said Mum,....nowadays it seems to be the norm,......Mam is such a lovely term,still gives me a nice warm feeling when i hear it......sort of all 'Liberty Bodyish'.........lol

edit, never been a Mummy's boy,  but have always been a 'Mam's lad'..............

• Like 3

You lot seem to have been lucky, you could call you're mother what suited. I didn't get to call mine much at all, apart from some words that can't be written here, after she cleared off and sent me to my grans with a note saying my then 9 month old sister is in the kitchen sink! I was just 4 yrs  old at the time! Luckily for me, my gran brought made up and my sis was fostered out to some friends of the family. 

59 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Not that the terminology matters.   They were still - hopefully - that person who looked after your daily needs more than anyone else.   I don't mean to forget the dads, but they weren't usually around in the daytime to look after you as they were working or absent for other reasons.

Quite agree. My mum and Dad were my Foster parents. Never new my biological parents, but it didn't matter. I was lucky to have one family, and didn't get shunted around. I was also lucky to avoid the childrens home - if all the stories are to be believed. 

• Like 4

It depends to some extent on what you consider is the etymology of the word "mam", "mom", or "mum".

To my understanding, "mam" is a direct reference to mammary - with which all mothers are necessarily blessed. Similarly "mom" a reference to mother. Mum doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

I think we say 'mum' and 'mam' because that's one of the first sounds babies make when they start vocalising... saying "mumumum" and " mamamam". Strangely, the FIRST sound is usually "dadadad"

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, but you were posh. You came from Woodthorpe.;)

So did you!    What did you call your mother?  

Really posh people would use 'mater" anyway

Waddo, I hope you had a happy childhood with your gran.  I can't even try to understand why your mother felt she had to leave.... do you know why?  Sorry, that's probably too personal..... I'm not expecting a reply - I just feel there must have been a huge reason.

15 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I can't even try to understand why your mother felt she had to leave.... do you know why?  Sorry, that's probably too personal..... I'm not expecting a reply - I just feel there must have been a huge reason.

I did have a good life with Gran, well I thought it was. The reason she cleared off, was because she had a belly full of arm's and legs, with the guy she worked for! And he left her soon after that child was born! Just deserts I say.

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I think we say 'mum' and 'mam' because that's one of the first sounds babies make when they start vocalising... saying "mumumum" and " mamamam". Strangely, the FIRST sound is usually "dadadad"

So did you!    What did you call your mother?  

Really posh people would use 'mater" anyway

Waddo, I hope you had a happy childhood with your gran.  I can't even try to understand why your mother felt she had to leave.... do you know why?  Sorry, that's probably too personal..... I'm not expecting a reply - I just feel there must have been a huge reason.

Same as you Margie - I'm posh as well! smile2

But I've never considered myself 'posh'.  It sounds a derogatory term to me... I was brought up to respect all people whoever they were and whatever their circumstances..... to look for the good things in everyone and to understand that there are reasons why people speak and act the way they do, even if those reasons are not always apparent.   

Our place of birth, accent and speech in general shouldn't define us as people - we are so much more than that.

• Like 5

To us our maternal grandma was always mammar, paternal grandma was nannar, that is how mam referred to them. the maternal side were Mansfield and paternal side Carlton. No idea if the differences were regional?

My mam was mum or mam to us, no  changes as we grew up?

Here in West Mids, my hubby has always called his mam, mom.?

My son calls me mum or mom and my daughter calls me mum or momma?

The Blackcountry title for grandma is nan, but my daughter was bought up hearing me say, nannar or mammar, hence my Blackcountry granddaughter calls me nannar, whilst all her friends say nan? :blink: I don't mind what they call me, so long as they love me.:)

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MargieH said:

Exactly as it should be, Margie.  Exactly as it should be.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...