Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Phil and Catfan,  I think you have every right to your opinions about children but  I just love them (I used to be one myself).  I love it that they are like sponges, soaking up whatever they see and hear.  I also think it's just about the most important job there is - bringing up children.   I consider it a real privilege that I was able to do that and now have the added bonus of grandchildren.   Love them, love them, love them ...

Best wishes from a feathery ice crystal with 6 fold symmetry xx

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Like yourself Margie I had the pleasure of bringing up my 2 kids & also have a grandson. Sadly nowadays children are allowed to rule with no discipline at all, I even hear kids say NO when their parent ask them to do something.

• Like 1

Kids? Love em. Took 6 y/o Great grand daughter to buy a bike at Halfords yesterday. What a pleasure. Followed with a special ice cream at my favourite caf'e and then on to a comic shop. Brilliant morning out. She wants to come fishing with me too :cool:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kids in tv soaps.  Well, I never watch 'em but Hollywierd has seemingly always portrayed kids as nasty little wise guys mouthing off to parents and every body else.  Does kids a great disservice.  It teaches some to be mouthy and gets the rest a bad reputation.  I must admit I'm more comfortable with adults.  (The civilized kind anyway) but I try to be open minded with kids.  They are like dogs.  You can teach them to be good family members or make 'em mean and obnoxious.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Strange innit?  I've always had a thing for dogs even though an Alsation bit me when I was about three.  I wandered into his yard so I've never held it against him.  I guess he was just doing his job as he saw it.  I needed a couple of stitches but he could have killed me if he'd felt like it.  My folks would never let me have a dog.  So I was 30 years old before  I finally got one in Canada.  I've never looked back.  They do tie you down a bit, but I honestly think I've lived longer as a result of owning them.  Now I've got two.  That was really not my intent but I couldn't let him go to the pound.  He's rewarded me ever since.

• Like 5

There seems to be two vastly differing views here. The mumsie views, and the grumpy old realistic views. LOL

One thing stands out though, and that is good parenting invariably pays off with plenty of love and attention, but kids must NEVER be allowed to gain the upper hand. Once that happens, you've lost it.

• Like 5

Love and attention isn't bribery, it's just good natural parenting. I agree though, bribery through endless treats, and letting kid dictate things is the thin end of the wedge, and should not be embarked upon.

• Like 3

Spare the rod and spoil the child seems to have changed to.......................... to don't spare the Mars Bars, Mc.ds or what ever and to hell with the child as long as its not in my ear.....

You can't blame a dog if it has a bad owner, neither can you blame the child if it has bad parents, though it should realise as it grows.

I like many here had little when I was young but and it is a big BUT we had some thing sadly lacking with some parents to day, love, an interest in our lives and desire to see us do well and better ourselves.

I know it will upset some but I do think the welfare state must take some of the blame, it's not a good living but it is a living for some.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

You only have to walk around with your eyes open & you will see bad parents every day. A lot of it is down to the "Entitled" culture, not having to work for anything nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The other thing my late wife and I always did with our daughters was to present a united front and back each other up.  Not let them play one off against the other.  If we disagreed we'd discuss it privately later, never in front of them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, denshaw said:

I believe  that children are our future, show them all the beauty they possess inside.................

Den, I agree wholeheartedly - and what a lovely way to express it...

However I can also agree with other posts that speak of bad parenting - I'm thinking particularly of those parents who allow the children to 'rule the roost' just because it's an easy option to let them DO exactly what they want, or HAVE exactly what they want, when they want it.    

I'm all for children being given choices in many things,  BUT these choices still need to be under the parents' control.  The parents should always have the ultimate authority.

Time spent talking with (not talking at) your children is so important, so they can learn to empathise with others and slowly learn that the world doesn't just revolve round them!    

Sadly, these 'bad' parents that you speak about have probably not been well parented themselves....

It seems to me that the closing of Children's Centres like Sure Start will only exacerbate the problem.  These places help the parents by showing them how to play and relate to their children.

I have much more I could say, but I'll stop now. ...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Give your kids a break.........they get it in the neck from all directions  and the word that figures most in their lives is NO''

• Like 2

If the internet had existed 50 years ago, the parents of that time would've been complaining about ".....youngsters today aren't like they used to be."

The youngsters on the receiving end of those complaints are now the adults commenting on today's kids. 

It always has been, and always will be.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Your observation is true Cliffton.  We are all products of our time.  It is difficult to put into words what I want to say without offending somebody, but I'll try.  No offense meant.

seems to me that in generations past men were forced to be men.  They started work early and had to work hard.  Many were affected by military call up over the course of two world wars.  Discipline was expected and demanded.  Those who survived came out and became effective in industry and teaching.  They didn't take any lip and they knew how to discipline.  I've been there back in the fifties.  Effeminacy was not tolerated. We were expected to lead.  Today's society is overly effected by psychological ideas that make the aggressor the victim.

The welfare state in all of our western countries is all to eager to hand out our tax dollars to those who will not work, but they seem able to hop in and out of bed with any female silly enough to let them.  If they don't abandon the women or kids they have little idea of how to bring them up and again expect the state to pick up the pieces.  I'm sure there is plenty of infrastructure work needed in all our countries.  What about work for welfare?  The Bible says if a man won't work he shouldn't eat.  Sounds hard, but, it was more like that in times past. I'm not against unemployment insurance for those who lose a job for no fault of their own, but it was never meant to be indefinite.

Sorry, I've gone on enough, but I guess you get my drift.  I never wanted state handouts.  I do not consider my pension to be such, I paid into it all my life.

History repeats over and over with civilizations that become strong, through hard work, often wealthy, become decadent and fall.  I believe we are in the twilight of Western civilization.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Well said Loppy. I was made redundant from Plessey in 95, and a week later, my mother died, so I didn't have time to look for another job for three months. Being the person that I am, I carried on paying my NI stamp until I found new employment. I didn't think it was clever, but I thought it the right thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

But we didn't walk around with green hair, skin piercings rings in our noses like prize bulls, tattoos all over our bodies, we knew what sex we are, in general, we respected the older generation, war memorials, didn't deface things... I could go on, but I'd get keyboard cramps.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...