Things that pee you off...

If I could give you a dozen like's John I would.

when I moved to Canada I didn't have a job to go to.  So I went to the job centre and then I walked the streets looking, calling in electrical contractors to see if they were hiring.  I didn't figure Canada owed me anything.  I was glad to be allowed in and have a chance.  I was also prepared to do any job going to make a dollar.  It didn't have to be electrical.  I would pump gas or stock store shelves if that was all I could get.  I got a job in appliance servicing after a few days because I didn't have my electricians license yet.  British apprenticeship papers were not enough.

My parents had always told me, don't wait for somebody else to help you, gerron yer feet and get moving.

No employer would hire you back then if you turned up with green hair and a ring in yer snout.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

But we didn't walk around with green hair, skin piercings rings in our noses like prize bulls, tattoos all over our bodies, we knew what sex we are, in general, we respected the older generation, war memorials, didn't deface things... I could go on, but I'd get keyboard cramps.

No, but we had teddyboys who thought flick knives and bike chains were 'cool', skinheads, bovver boys and football hooligans who carried Stanley knives.

Yes a lot of today's kids are waaay to cocky for their own good because they long ago realised that punishment for bad behaviour is non-existent or an ASBO that they flaunt like some sort of trophy. I say a lot, but not the majority.

Like many here I grew up in what is euphemistically called an 'inner city area' and it drove me to achieve more than my parents ever did and in turn determined that my children had all the advantages I never had. Did I spoil them? by 1950s standards quite possibly, but they never brought trouble to my door and today  I'm very proud of them.

True I think think the 'touchy feely' brigade have too much influence in society today, always ready with a reason or excuse but never come up with any sort of solution.

Being a parent doesn't come with a manual so we do our best but the only reference we have to go on is the experience  our parents gave us. I't been said before, 'bad parents produce bad children'

Clif Ton said it best:

The youngsters on the receiving end of those complaints are now the adults commenting on today's kids. 

It always has been, and always will be.

•  
  • Like 3
21 hours ago, Brew said:

True I think think the 'touchy feely' brigade have too much influence in society today, always ready with a reason or excuse but never come up with any sort of solution.

•  

That's called the "Blame" culture, alway's someone else's fault.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, denshaw said:

I believe  that children are our future, show them all the beauty they possess inside.................

This what keeps me logging back onto read this shite sorry site, superb Den or should that be Whitney?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just come back from the local supermarket, interesting!  We have just introduced country of origin labelling for foods where the packaging must state what percentage of the food is local. Bought some bacon that was 30% Australian content. How did they do that?

In the seafood section there was not one item that was sourced in Australia, Thailand for prawns, China for most of the fish, Vietnam for crab. In a continent surrounded by water and some of the best seafood available locally why do we import this stuff? I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

You're right Oztalgian. We have had origine labels for  years but most of our food is from Italy and theyre very strict at where in the country its produced right down to the farm.

Theres a very wide selection of fruit and veg from every region and chicken and meat is usually local. Fish is another thing , we are not really near the sea ( an hour away) but fish caught there is quickly transported. Supermarkets seem to be the culprits for imported fish.

The Italians are very fussy about where their food comes from and rightly so, we should all be like that and not accept it any other way.

A couple of years ago we used to eat the fish called pangasio ( dont know the english name) until we found an article about it. Apparently it came from Thailand in very dubious origins. Fished from what could only be called infected waters. Put me off for life I wont touch it anymore. If in doubt look at the label.

• Like 2

France very similar to Italy regarding the origin of food and, like Italy, by far the majority of it is local. A notable exception is the shellfish (fruits de mer) sold in the restaurants on the coast (Monte Carlo, Nice, Cannes, Antibes etc.) - most of the shellfish is imported from Scotland. None the worse for that, though. It is flown down daily and is probably as fresh, or fresher, than similar Scottish shellfish sold in England - of which there is a lot!

Regarding Pangasio (Pangasius in Fr.), I saw this once in a supermarket and did some investigation about it. Known as Basa or Vietnamese river cobbler in English. As you say, nonnaB, it does sound quite horrible and there is all sorts of Wiki advice not to eat it, considering its dubious origins (bottom feeding in murky, polluted rivers). Eat it? Never!

There isn’t much in the way of shops in Bar sur Loup but Grasse is just down the road with a whole range of traditional French food shops including a fishmonger (very near to the Med.) There are also supermarkets which I avoid as far as possible.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

oops sorry wrong topic. Meanwhile enjoy a little tour of my neck of the woods

What a great mistake nonnaB. Some wonderful vistas and an interesting history. Not sure about lobbing oranges at each other, don't think I'd like a great big Jaffa whacked at me lughole. Really surprised about the rice and Kiwi fruit.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Commo said:

Love it Jonab, such a beautiful place.

It certainly is. You can see why I could never contemplate returning to the UK, I'm sure

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2015 at 4:21 PM, FLY2 said:

Right, House of Fraser here I come

Not no more Flea ..... Soon to be Mike Ashley's Sport Direct ....... Not been the same since they arrested those two OAP's in the bogs preforming a lewd act on each other! :Friends:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep, John Lewis for me now RR.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I see the PC brigade want smoking banned in the home to protect "the children" !

No mention of the parents who feed their kids on crap all the time i.e. fast food places too many to list !

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...