Things that pee you off...

Totally agree with you that the standard of language and writing has altered, but is it because we have aged and long for the good old days that we don't like the modern ways.  Who had parents that disapproved of our modern slang and music. Which begs the question if we were to insist on using the old ways, which old ways do we go back to,

This an extract from Chaucers Canterbury Tales written in the 14th century.

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, trogg said:

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);

Hope this works trogg. It is a bit clearer.

• Like 1

I used to tease my father about his spelling. His retort was that Milton couldn't spell either...and he was right. Spelling wasn't standardized until much closer to our own times.

I do agree, though, about a decline in the use of our wonderful language. I love words, have been fascinated by them all my life, and it saddens me .

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I my self like the John Lewis Avert its Brilliant as least they treat there staff well. TAX what about Green the British home stores man , Mac' Donalds . or the Sports shop who only paid peanuts, and their are still firms out there not paying the minimum wage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Shameful to see that new John Lewis advert..over 7 million..thats including TV and Cinema slots...obviously it's what should have gone to the taxman..but that malarkey..to me anyway is sad...why not just give its customers 7 million in massive reductions. Goodness me!

I think the Halifax adverts are scandalous too. I imagine they were very expensive to make. The interest rates they offer to savers are crap.

• Like 1

Most of the adverts are crap, especially the Direct Line ones. Also the ones with the bleddy meercats and poncy action 'men'.

• Like 3

I have often wondered why these Meercats in the tv adverts have Russian (or eastern european) accents when Meercats come from South Africa,the Kalahri in Botswana and Namibia,surely if anything they should have a Afrikaan accent,(all of course assuming the little sods can speak)

Rog

• Like 1

I sometimes get the distinct impression, that some dimwits think they're real. 

Also the Available Car.com one, where they tell you that you can save about 9k. Utter garbage. That's on the brand new price.

I went to a similar establishment near Sheffield years ago, and most of the cars were ancient, and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

• Like 1

We could start a whole thread about advertising. So many people are taken in by their questionable claims especially the financial ones. It's fascinating to freeze the picture and read the small print at the bottom of the screen.

The equity release ad that uses the “Right said Fred” music is so jolly and sunny. My wife's aunt is wrestling with equity release and the interest is a sod. Beware.

• Like 2

Mess, Thanks for the warning. We occasionally think about it, husband is all for it and I am not. The adverts make it so tempting, but nothing is for free? We both have health issues but I am hoping we are around for quite a few more years. I darn't do the sums as to what happens to the house if we manage to be here for 10 or more years. I hope I never get talked into going for it. We will see. I do like to read the opinions of ordinary people who are like me. I tend to have more faith in their words than in the happy smiling adverts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rog, perhaps sadly I get it why the meerkats have Russian accents because it is the adman`s perception of how the word " market" is pronounced with such an accent. You have to remember the first spate of adverts from some years ago when supposedly someone had mistakenly rung the organisation " Trust the Meerkats " ( no, I don't think that there really is such a thing!) Instead of " Trust the Markets". 

See, told you it was sad that I knew!!

• Like 2

I remember it as            'Compare the Meerkat'           not               'Compare the Market'....

• Like 2

Adverts on the radio when somebody is talking twenty-to-the-dozen to try to get their message across in 30 secs.  It really stresses me out to listen to it, I get really agitated, I have to turn the radio off to calm down! 

• Like 2

Lizzie, have you tried selecting a post on here and tapping on 'speak'?  This is using the iPad  - I xpect it's the same. on a phone or PC.

i've just done it with your last post and (a man) gabbled  the message really quickly.  It sounds really funny

Lizzie, On the iPad, I just hold my finger on part of the text and when I lift my finger off I choose 'select all', then 'speak'

If only one word becomes highlighted,I drag on the corner until all the text is highlighted..

Stick to Radio Nottingham Lizzie, or Radio 2 at a push. No advertising whatsoever !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 9/7/2018 at 10:57 PM, mary1947 said:

I my self like the John Lewis Avert

Me to, when I watch telly is usually on catch-up so I can skip the adverts, but this came on between the EFL goals highlights on Quest, I also hate the Bohemian Rhapsody with passion, but this cannot fail to make you smile & even cheer! ....... Brilliant

• Like 2

Don't forget there are only 103 shopping days left until Christmas !

http://www.xmasclock.com/

Also get your chrimbo cards posted in good time !

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/christmas/last-posting-dates

Don't forget the poor old postman, out in all weathers bringing your mail being chased by viscous dogs & some people too. A £5 tip wouldn't hurt !

Merry Christmas everyone & a happy new year !

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...