Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Mrs Compo was reading about someone in Spain who was caught dumping an old freezer over a cliff. They were fined (I forget the exact figure) several thousand euros and forced to remove the freezer and take it to the proper disposal facility. 

^^^^That freezer dumping episode made the TV news here. The report showed the culprit manhandling the freezer back up the cliffside by hand - wonderful!! There should be more punishments like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As Brew says 45,000€. The best part, though, is that the person worked for a waste management company who now face a much bigger fine for having their dumping over a cliff disposal method as standard procedure.

• Like 1

Maybe it serves them rright, eh?! If only we could have a policed enforcement of dumping rules. On a nmumber of occasions I have reported fly-tipping but it's always the same "Sorry pal, not interested - short of resources and even if we went to the trouble of catching them, the courts would not consider it a serious crime."

Just the topic I was looking for. Many things do pee me off but watching a clip on tv should be available to everyone everywhere. The latest forbidden thing to do in Italy especially in sea resorts is not to go around with, men, bare chested, women in costumes or bikinis. Otherwise 250€ Fine. Other sindaco's have also introduced rules for the public such as smoking on the beaches and leaving litter, dogs only allowed on designated beaches. Sitting on the steps in Rome and the lists go on. The fines are pretty hefty, maybe not to everyone's pleasure but tourists do not respect the beautiful country that is Italy. Every year the tourist resorts spend thousands getting the resorts back to their original state only to return the following year expecting the same disorder.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Every year the tourist resorts spend thousands getting the resorts back to their original state only to return the following year expecting the same disorder.

I have some sympathy nonna esp with dogs and leaving litter but sitting on the steps? they want to be careful they don't bite the hand that feeds them..

What's peeing me off at the moment is, I've  just bought a Samsung tablet and although I've  managed to get onto NS, I've  lost all the info from the top of page. So unable to see notifications or be able to send PM s.

:shout:

Im after help Phil, I've  got this galaxy tab 8", cos it's a 2019 version but I appear to have lost the usual top of screen.

Thought I'd  done myself a favour but now don't  know how to look for PMS or notifications. Probably might end up swallowing it !

27 minutes ago, Beekay said:

What's peeing me off at the moment is, I've  just bought a Samsung tablet and although I've  managed to get onto NS, I've  lost all the info from the top of page. So unable to see notifications or be able to send PM s.

:shout:

What are you seeing at the top of the page ?

That looks like it Kev., it comes up with 4 lines, activity, leaderboard,etc. But right at the top is the bell and envelope icons.

Cheers mate ! OOh I  do feel a pillock.

The other day we headed for the coast (Anderby Creek)  we stopped for a bacon cob at Tattershall it's a small park where you can let your dog out and charge your batteries. (I'm sure most member's know it) any way a family sat there with a picnic, and as the children took the paper off their sandwiches they just threw it on the ground, only 3 yards away was a bin.  Grown ups did not say a word.  Now normally I would have picked up the paper and would have said "I think you have dropped some thing" but I took one look at the two men who stood there and the size of them put me off saying anything,

When will the people of our Country learn (TAKE YOUR LITTER HOME") Or put it in the bin, It's no wonder my German sister in law say's  England is pretty, but it's a dirty Country It's not the Country it's the people in it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I walk my dogs up a lane commonly known as Sandy Lane (used to lead to Sandy Hills an old quarry I think). Last time we went up there someone had dumped big lumps of concrete and plastic bags filled with rubble halfway up nearly blocking the path. Then further up there was another load of it dumped on the side (by the look of it builders rubbish). The second lot would have been dumped from a car/lorry possibly as there is vehicular access to the reservoir but the first lot was on a narrow path between two hedges so it must have been carried there.

The dumpers obviously aren’t bothered someone else’s problem now. Having done it once I have no doubt it will happen again. I just despair at some people’s attitude.

Another bugbear is people who talk loudly on their mobiles, especially on buses. Or the ones that have their eyes glued to their mobiles while walking and I have to dodge round them. For heavens sake get a life!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Brew said:

I have some sympathy nonna esp with dogs and leaving litter but sitting on the steps? they want to be careful they don't bite the hand that feeds them..

Brew it's not a case of sitting on the steps. Tourists have damaged the steps in some way or another. They picnic on them, stub cigarettes out, scratch initials and phrases on them.On the news it shows all the stains of dropped food and drink.( Tv news sometimes shows views of people sitting on the steps and you can't see the steps for people.)Some of the stains won't come out. These steps aren't your common or garden steps ( that would be ridiculous to ban sitting) but it's a well known tourist attraction . They interviewed tourists and locals. Most thought the fine a bit high but many agreed that something had to be done in view of the age of the steps. I don't think there are any more sitting bans in Italy. Italy has to save her heritage. There are so many beautiful places here that go back centuries, why should they be ruined by thoughtless people. I don't think they are trying to bite the hand that feeds them , they are trying to re educate the people who don't appreciate what Italy has to offer. Look at Major Oak , what have visitors done? A fence has been put around to stop entering inside. Probably too like many ancient buildings in the U.K. that have been damaged. The former beauty can never be restored.

Another thing in Rome is that every now and again someone puts dye into the fountain and it has to be drained, cleaned and refilled. Funny maybe to some but the culprits are almost always tourists. 

Anyway that's the way it is, at first I thought it was a stupid thing to do to fine people but on hearing the report I agree that it was the best solution. And, No I am not patriotic just appreciate the beauty here and hate it being damaged.

Tourists are made very welcome but they have to learn like they do in other countries and that it isn't nice to leave your rubbish in some one else's garden nor damage next doors garden swing or fence.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jonab. Heard yesterday of a French couple who holidayed in Sardinia and brought home 40 kg of sand. They were caught and now risk a prison sentence. 

Thats tourists for you, nobody thinks. Next week is a week of festivities here and with a famous concert attracts thousands. We are only a relatively small village ( app 3.500 inhabitants) there are rubbish bins everywhere , the square is cordened off but every where is full of rubbish when it's all over. It's always a very clean area as a young woman daily cleans the square and is proud to wear her orange suit. Bars and restaurants have to put up with broken bottles and glasses, dropped ice cream cones , cigarette stubs, spitting etc.  Not a good impression for the occasional visitor. I know what I would think, the same as a normal  person would think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...