Things that pee you off...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

In yesterday's Evening Post, a 23 year old guy who'd been banned from driving 9 times, yes 9 times, was only jailed for 2 years, and banned for 44 months. He was in a stolen vehicle, no insurance and driving while disqualified. He drove through red lights, hit bollards and lost a wheel, carried on speeding, and narrowly missed workers in a section of road works. 

Just how long does it take for a dimwit of a judge to finally see the light. The guy should have been jailed ages ago, and banned from driving for life ! Truly unbelievable !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Banning him doesn't seem to stop him getting behind the wheel. I doubt jail will stop him when he gets out, either. Perhaps he will have to actually kill someone before anyone takes any notice. What a menace. 

• Upvote 1

That reminds me of a tearaway who I knew slightly in my youth in Hucknall who was very fond of similar activities involving stolen cars. Following his reign of terror and causing untold injuries to others,  his final crash made it quite difficult to find any sympathy for him with no legs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've just read in our local paper online that 'squat toilets' may be coming to Cambridge.  They may be more hygienic and I expect younger people would manage OK , but I think we oldies might have trouble getting up from squatting!   I understand the usual design loos will still be available, though..

• Like 1

SQUAT ! I'd never get perpendicular again ! I'd end up rolling on the floor on my back in filth and fluids !  

I did see something similar in Greece and Brittany, but I suspect they were of 19th century origin. I'd like to think we've progressed as a society since then. 

There were quite a few of them in London Docks in the 70's, known as the 'Asian toilets' Some sailors from forrin parts had no idea how to use a western style and refused to use them

There was a recent article in one of the local papers here saying that squat toilets offer a much more natural and efficient position to defecate than the seated position that must be taken up on a modern 'sit-down' toilet bowl.

The problem is, apparently, that the usual sitting position bends and potential kinks the rectum forming a partial (or in some cases complete) occlusion resulting in straining, constipation and, ultimately, bowel obstruction.

The recommendation was (if the squat isn't possible) to sit on the toilet and lean forward with the head as close to the knees as possible.

I don't usually suffer with waste disposal problems but I have found that the leaning forward method does help in 'ease of passage'.

• Upvote 1

The first time I saw ‘an ‘ole in the floor’ lavatory was at a restaurant up in the hills above the Italian Riviera, would have been 1970.  I thought that civilised society had moved on considerably since those days, however we’ve come across several similar loos on the French motorway ‘Aires’ in the past few years.   I’ve used lovely loos in very nice restaurants in different cities of the World, every time the loo is flushed the seat whizzes round to be cleaned automatically.   The first time I witnessed this I’d had my fair share of wine with my meal, I had to flush again to convince myself it had really happened! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

SQUAT ! I'd never get perpendicular again ! I'd end up rolling on the floor on my back in filth and fluids !  

I did see something similar in Greece and Brittany, but I suspect they were of 19th century origin. I'd like to think we've progressed as a society since then. 

I'd never be able to sit and read a book!   :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I'd have thought that leaning forward would only you to force things thereby causing piles to appear !  

I've got a little foot stool, and sit with my arms on my knees reading, or on my iPad !

Automatic seat cleaning ! It's a good job you weren't still sitting on it Lizzie, or you might have got more than you bargained for ! You'd be dizzy, wet, and oh, and  that brush can be a bit unnerving, embarrassing, not to say a mite painful.

Oh God, what a subject. Let's get on to bad driving, litter, fly tipping or vandalism !

• Like 1

Being in a queue anywhere. Ditherers and dawdlers at mini islands ! People who stop to chat in enterances thereby blocking the way.

Can anyone tell me the science behind these two strange effects of microwave ovens.

When you put a cup in a microwave it doesn't seem to matter where you put the handle pointing when you start or how long you set the timer, when it finishes the handle always points to the back.

In the morning we usually have coffee made with milk and heat the milk in a mug in the microwave. The mugs are exactly the same, except the colour,  the amount of milk is the same and the timer is set to the same time yet the one in the dark blue mug tends to boil yet the one in the white mug does not. Why is this so? 

Maybe it has something to do with the colour under the glaze. Not that I  would know. Or perhaps the constituency  of the materials used in its make up. Just saying.

Perhaps the metal forming the blue pigment (cobalt?) has a different physical effect with the microwave energy to that of the opacifier in the white pigment (titanium?). 

Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Not being able to directly speaking to a human being to cancel my tv license for the period of absence that I go away. And then after canceling the direct debit, getting numerous emails, with a, 'do not reply ' message, with all sorts of threats. Bullying from the BBC is what i call it!!

Isn't the licence fee under review and likely to be scrapped ? .:rolleyes:

I often  wonder if paying the Beeb monthly, which is more expensive, or the upfront bung on which they can earn interest is more rewarding. 

6 hours ago, Waddo said:

Bullying from the BBC is what i call it!!

TV licence money is collected by a contractor not the BBC...

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...